Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Tweet: No 'significantly new consumer-facing technology' in Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My reading of his tweets today is that there is no HUD planned, and that the center display is all we get. Thoughts? He clearly says their is no new technology that is not in an S or X and/or that a consumer would notice (as opposed to production line improvements).

View attachment 219592 View attachment 219593

Current cars with HUD:

• 2013 Cadillac ATS.
  • 2013 Buick LaCrosse
  • 2012 BMW 3
  • 2013 Ford Fusion
  • 2013 Lexus GS
Just sayin...

Reactions: SteveG3
Except the batteries that might be able to charge at a significantly faster rate. The ability to faster super charge is the update I have my eye on now.

Tesla needs future demand stimulators as competition develops. While I'm sure the new battery packs have a technology roadmap to faster charging, I doubt it is in the M3 on launch. Especially if the high kwh supercharger are going to use 800v.

Yeah, obviously Elon meant new in Tesla.

The small backdoor is that if they launch something in Model S/X in Q2 or eary Q3 it would no longer bew new for Model 3, but I am not reading this that way. It seems Tesla decided to cut certain advanced features from the launch (AWD, Performance, possibly HUD if it was coming) and now is announcing it this way to prop-up Model S/X sales and to control expectations regarding Model 3...

I actually applaud Tesla for this move. It actually might temper the viscious Osbourning cycle the Model S/X seems to have been in for the past year, if they decide to calm down a little instead. Or maybe they will keep going crazy on the Model S/X and leave Model 3 as the low-end neglected adopted sibling... But most importantly I applaud this anti-marketing. It feels fresh after all the over-promise under-deliver.

I mean, reading Elon's Twitter feed, he sure is almost hating on the Model 3. :D

Reactions: davidc18
Looking at old tweets I am going to say no HUD.

April 3rd, 2016
Brandon Valvo‏ @BValvsRacing
@elonmusk The lack of a dashboard/HUD is something that I don't think I could get used to. That's the only thing I don't like about the car.

Elon Musk‏ @elonmusk
@BValvsRacing It will make sense after part 2 of the Model 3 unveil

October 19, 2016
Model 3 reveal Part 2: Tesla Announces all production cars now have fully self-driving hardware.

Elon Musk‏ @elonmusk
@elonmusk This is also what I was alluding to by Model 3 part 2

@Trips

But that leaves out the most important quote:

April 3rd, 2016
"Wait until you see the real steering controls and system for the 3. It feels like a spaceship."

While that could mean something other than a HUD certainly, it seems like an odd comment about Autopilot 2 only.

In my minds eye I am seeing that Tesla at least was working on an augmented reality HUD (or maybe still are for the future), but who knows. That would have been spaceship-like, you know crazy visuals around you.

A self driving car? Hmm. I don't get the spaceship reference.

My guess is, between April and October the meaning of "Model 3 part 2" changed in Elon's and Tesla's mind. It probably meant something different in April than it did in October or now.

No new consumer facing features seems to rule out any other kind of new steering controls as well.

Last edited:
AP2 is 'steering controls'. The tweet happened long b4 october AP2-reveal. Feels like a spaceship? Hm, yeah it's a stretch but might be what he meant

Yeah, it is possible, but still feels like a stretch. "real steering controls and system", feels like a spaceship, and then just referring to a self-driving car... I guess if it had a retracting steering wheel or something, but none of this sounds like it. And self-driving is years away quite probably...

Reactions: 1208
I'm with AnxietyRanger on this. Spaceship like unless he only meant light speed - no hands-ap.
I don't buy it.
I'm expecting something more- a lot more interior wise.

Unless one is VERY cynical and thinks Elon is only beefing up Q2 and HUD actually appears for Model S/X and then after than soon to Model 3 in Q3... it seems if such plans existed, they have been delayed for a while at least.

AP2 is 'steering controls' / 'system'. The tweet happened long b4 october AP2-reveal. Feels like a spaceship? Hm, yeah it's a stretch but might be what he meant
Good point. Elon's "spaceship" reference was pre-EAP/FSDC.

In real life (not in the movies) when you pilot a spacecraft you don't do it with hand controls. You do it with screens and data displays.

So in the near future (in Elon's opinion) Teslas will be primarily "driven" by EAP and/or FSDC and not "by hand".

Cue massive disappointment from the HUD advocates.

Good point. Elon's "spaceship" reference was pre-EAP/FSDC.

In real life (not in the movies) when you pilot a spacecraft you don't do it with hand controls. You do it with screens and data displays.

So in the near future (in Elon's opinion) Teslas will be primarily "driven" by EAP and/or FSDC and not "by hand".

Yeah, I agree that an innovative software UI for the autopilot controls certainly could be spaceship-like.

Anyway... thinking about the potential a full windshield AR HUD would have for software development. One more platform for Tesla to innovate in over time...

Remember the context of Elons spaceship remark.

First, he tweeted:
In general, product comments, suggestions and criticisms are always welcome

Then some dude replied:
1.Ferrari like steering wheel 2.Move stick functions(turn signals,horn,etc.) on a paddle shifter behind wheel. That would be cool!

The above led Elon to tweet:
Wait until you see the real steering controls and system for the 3. It feels like a spaceship.

So the context was actually how the physical interaction between driver and car was supposed to be. Elon wasn't responding to a question about displays or interfaces.

"Taxi" does not equal "spaceship." The original Mercury astronauts rebelled when the engineers left out capsule attitude controls. They called themselves "Spam in a can", which might also describe a passenger in an autonomous car.
I enjoy driving. Most BMW 3-Series owners enjoy driving, too.
Robin