Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Tweet: No 'significantly new consumer-facing technology' in Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't quite made it through all 32 pages of this yet... but people realize that you can turn your smartphone into a HUD right? HUDWAY Glass — Head-Up Display made available for any car

I don't think this should be an order cancelling offense just yet. At least wait and see. I would have no problem looking at the center screen of my Model S, and it looks like the center screen will be positioned much better in the M3.

Not really. We're talking about removing one display, not all display functionality. The information will still be displayed, in a similar location as some other production vehicles. It's not my preference, either, but I think your analogy moved further from the truth.

This is all very reminiscent of the reaction we had to the production Model X when it was revealed. TMC was speculating on passenger seats that spun to present to the entrant, electrochromic glass, and a host of other things. Instead what we got was a puffy Model S with weird doors, nicer seats, and a large windshield.

The risk of hope is disappointment.
I think the difference with the expectations of Model X and 3 is that we were expecting the Jetson's future with Model X. The inclusion of standard features was not even a thought in anybody's mind since those were expected and we were waiting with bated breath to see how Tesla improved on those features. So you end up disappointed that we're still in the present, but it's whatever. The car is still as good as the competition.

With Model 3, standard features are on the chopping block. They've gone the complete opposite direction. There will be no improvement of features, there is elimination. Elimination is not improvement without an alternative. At this point, we're simply expecting the car will have at least the same functionality as other cars and we're not even getting that. We're actually begging to have basic car features. What gives? We're nowhere near a Jetson's future at all. In fact, we've taken the other path and are on our way to Tesla future, which apparently means slowly eliminating standard features until there's absolutely nothing left when the car is able to drive you. Sucks for the guy that actually wants to drive the car, not the other way around.

Tesla is alienating a huge majority of drivers in favor of a minority. It's weird, and I'm actually a little uncertain of Tesla's future once the Model 3 is released. I thought they could do no wrong a year ago, but it's all rapidly tumbling downhill. The first professional reviews of Model 3 may seal the coffin for Tesla. I'm excited and nervous for this summer. On one hand, Elon is trying to sell Model S before the 3 launch, but on the other, what if he's actually serious about the miserable interior of this car? Best car you can buy for 35k my ass.

Reactions: davidc18
So much better than HUD..

Maybe.. Just Maybe something like this.

This is the Concept Nisan Leaf that is being test driven.,. Its no longer a concept.

I like this much more than the 15" screen in the middle.

Next-gen Nissan LEAF spotted on public roads, design refresh visible despite camouflage

The one thing I do like about no dash is greater visibility. Not that you need it, but it will create a much more spacious and expansive feel while driving. That combined with the all glass roof should provide a mesmerizing driving experience.

I'd definitely like this more if I had to shoot down alien spaceships in my Model 3.
Absolutely. In much the same way will MS owners want to engage their bio-defense air filter during the shootout.

Us Model 3 owners will just have to "suck it up" since we probably won't have a bio-defense air filter because of manufacturing constraints. Oh well.

The one thing I do like about no dash is greater visibility. Not that you need it, but it will create a much more spacious and expansive feel while driving. That combined with the all glass roof should provide a mesmerizing driving experience.
Absolutely. Lets lobby to get rid of that gigantic 15" behemoth screen in the middle of the Model 3's dash. Hopefully its removable.

The only option I need is a wireless charging area for my cell phone.

Reactions: eisbock
Absolutely. Lets lobby to get rid of that gigantic 15" behemoth screen in the middle of the Model 3's dash. Hopefully its removable.

The only option I need is a wireless charging area for my cell phone.
Right, and once the steering wheel is out of the picture, you will have tons of room to move around with nothing obscuring your view!

But wait... once you're at the point where you don't need a steering wheel or center screen and thus have great visibility, the unfortunate irony of it all is that you'll be less inclined to look at the road, but rather at a phone or laptop.

How often do you look at the road when in a taxi?

Right, and once the steering wheel is out of the picture, you will have tons of room to move around with nothing obscuring your view!

But wait... once you're at the point where you don't need a steering wheel or center screen and thus have great visibility, the unfortunate irony of it all is that you'll be less inclined to look at the road, but rather at a phone or laptop.

How often do you look at the road when in a taxi?
I think I would like to keep the steering wheel. I like to drive.

Reactions: Kant.Ing
I think I would like to keep the steering wheel. I like to drive.
Sure, and that's the problem. People who like to drive also like instrumentation readouts that are not only plentiful, but also conveniently-placed. Elon says you don't need that when your car is driving you. The Model 3 is not meant to be driven, which is a huge problem.

I really hope I'm over reacting, but...

Ever since I put down a deposit, I never expected to get a fully loaded S for half the cost, I expected a basic version of an entry level S (with the ability to upgrade its components as long as I was willing to pay the premium), not a lesser car. I know there are several people in this forum who can easily afford a fully loaded S, but instead chose to wait for the 3 because they wanted a smaller car, yet they are willing to spend on performance (ludicrous) and luxury.

I really don't care about HUD or a second screen, what worries me is that Tesla seems to have switched their direction. When the 3 was first shown, some forum members pointed out that the glass roof was proof that Tesla had designed the 3 for the middle class Chinese market, which favors the rider. Honestly, I dismissed those ideas, but after Elon's tweets, I'm not so sure anymore. Elon has emphasized the 3 is meant to be ridden, nor driven. I can't shake the idea, that the 3 is a taxi, not an entry level luxury sport car like many wanted.

The reason the S was successful was because it offers drivers an experience similar to an ICE, but in EV. Now, Tesla seems to have adjusted their strategy to favor ride sharing services with emphasis on luxury, over driver's experience/performance. This would also explain why Elon tweeted that fully loaded basic 3s would be delivered first, instead of fully loaded performance models like he originally planned.

I really hope I didn't put down $1k and waited almost 2 years, only to be sold a taxi...

The reason the S was successful was because it offers drivers an experience similar to an ICE, but in EV. Now, Tesla seems to have adjusted their strategy to favor ride sharing services with emphasis on luxury, over driver's experience/performance. This would also explain why Elon tweeted that fully loaded basic 3s would be delivered first, instead of fully loaded performance models like he originally planned.

I really hope I didn't put down $1k and waited almost 2 years, only to be sold a taxi...
I'm thinking even with the focus on being driven around, the Model 3 will still be the best EV sedan for the base price - at least for a couple of years.

I think the difference with the expectations of Model X and 3 is that we were expecting the Jetson's future with Model X. The inclusion of standard features was not even a thought in anybody's mind since those were expected and we were waiting with bated breath to see how Tesla improved on those features. So you end up disappointed that we're still in the present, but it's whatever. The car is still as good as the competition.

With Model 3, standard features are on the chopping block. They've gone the complete opposite direction. There will be no improvement of features, there is elimination. Elimination is not improvement without an alternative. At this point, we're simply expecting the car will have at least the same functionality as other cars and we're not even getting that. We're actually begging to have basic car features. What gives? We're nowhere near a Jetson's future at all. In fact, we've taken the other path and are on our way to Tesla future, which apparently means slowly eliminating standard features until there's absolutely nothing left when the car is able to drive you. Sucks for the guy that actually wants to drive the car, not the other way around.

Tesla is alienating a huge majority of drivers in favor of a minority. It's weird, and I'm actually a little uncertain of Tesla's future once the Model 3 is released. I thought they could do no wrong a year ago, but it's all rapidly tumbling downhill. The first professional reviews of Model 3 may seal the coffin for Tesla. I'm excited and nervous for this summer. On one hand, Elon is trying to sell Model S before the 3 launch, but on the other, what if he's actually serious about the miserable interior of this car? Best car you can buy for 35k my ass.

I believe they know buyers will be angry if they use cheap interior finishes in the model 3.

I'm probably the main proponent of the idea that Musk is obsessed with the second row. But I don't see how that hurt model 3 design. It is a great EV design.

I haven't quite made it through all 32 pages of this yet... but people realize that you can turn your smartphone into a HUD right? HUDWAY Glass — Head-Up Display made available for any car

I don't think this should be an order cancelling offense just yet. At least wait and see. I would have no problem looking at the center screen of my Model S, and it looks like the center screen will be positioned much better in the M3.

Spending at least $35k on a car, not including taxes and fees, that forces you to use your own smartphone as a display if you want a traditional binnacle...? Sounds pretty awful.

Here is the dash of an El Cheapo EV I leased for couple years for $99/mo.
The things I looked most in the driver's console was tire pressure after I drove with blown tire and had to pay $250 for damaged TPMS + new tire. (BTW, will M3 come with spare tire? My El cheapo didn't). The damage couldn't be fixed with the liquid tire sealant, so spent another 2 hours being towed on a flatbed.
dash_of_EV.JPG

The other information it showed were navigation info, energy consumption/regen, speed (of course!), range, diagnostics, etc. with a scroll wheel. The groove on the right was really useful to keep my sunglasses.

Here is Bolt dashboard.
bold_dash.JPG

Here is the M3 dash, whatever we saw last year. Where are the A/C vents or sun glass holders?
I am assuming, some of the controls like volume, skip, etc. will be added to the steering wheel. Those are really convenient.
model-3-interior.jpg

Last edited:
Here is the dash of an El Cheapo EV I leased for couple years for $99/mo.
The things I looked most in the driver's console was tire pressure after I drove with blown tire and had to pay $250 for damaged TPMS + new tire. (BTW, will M3 come with spare tire? My El cheapo didn't). The damage couldn't be fixed with the liquid tire sealant, so spent another 2 hours being towed on a flatbed.
View attachment 220617
Damn that's cluttered. And no, it almost certainly won't have a spare tire. Very few new cars do.

The other information it showed were navigation info, energy consumption/regen, speed (of course!), range, diagnostics, etc. with a scroll wheel. The groove on the right was really useful to keep my sunglasses.

Here is the M3 dash, whatever we saw last year. Where are the A/C vents or sun glass holders?View attachment 220616
Sun glasses could be kept in the center console, and the Model 3 has one long A/C vent across the dash. It's clearly visible in the photo.