Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Tweet: No 'significantly new consumer-facing technology' in Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some of the reactions here are comical. Buying a $42K car (on average) and using your phone to tell how fast you are going is ridiculous. I think far too many who have been invested in this car from the start are willing to accept things that you wouldn't from any other brand.

Now Elon says 'we won't care'. I'd be willing to hear him out on that but he also says there's 'no new tech that customers will notice'. I don't see how both of these statements can be true for the majority of buyers, unless they made automated driving standard or considerably cheaper that it is on the S/X.

So much (R@P in this thread. The only known fact: none of us have seen the final Model 3 interior or instrumentation. None of us. We are translating 118 character tweets and early (18 mos before release) reveal photos into assumptions, then raging on about them. Give it a break. Let's see the car when it comes out. If anyone has a reservation and wants to cancel on basis of speculation, go ahead, but please don't inflict your rants on the rest of us!

It's a little too bubbly in back, but I'm over it at this point. Much bigger and more concerning things to worry about.

Yes, like no HUD and runaway climate change causing human extinction. Personally I'm still woking which of those problems is my #1 concern.

And don't forget, the giant glass roof is expected to be OPTIONAL on the M3. Anyone who buys the standard metal roof will get the worst of three worlds: less rear headroom, poor rear visibility, and no liftback!

And eight camera with almost certainly a 360 view.

You may only have short people in back, but with the M3 they have the option of wearing cowboy hats! Likely cowboy hats will become a thing after the M3 release.

• Funny
Reactions: tomas
You think? I've seen people speculate Tesla might not have the right camera setup in the front.

Because the front cameras are too narrow? While Tesla may not be able to composite the straight output from the cameras, they can certainly build a 360 image with their fancy computer using the eight cameras. Although the cars has enough sensors that eventually it should not ever hit anything at low speed. So perhaps the development work will not be put towards helping the driver see behind the car.

Because the front cameras are too narrow? While Tesla may not be able to composite the straight output from the cameras, they can certainly build a 360 image with their fancy computer using the eight cameras. Although the cars has enough sensors that eventually it should not ever hit anything at low speed. So perhaps the development work will not be put towards helping the driver see behind the car.
How exactly can you see a 'top down' view if there is no cameras forward of the windshield? I would like to know, because I'd love to have this. It's one of the things (besides a little money...) stopping me from ordering an X. I need help parking the dang thing. :)

Seriously, without something like another one of the rear cameras above the front nose, I can't see how a real 360 view can be generated. There's also the fact that the current cameras (except the rear one) are made for autopilot, not 'visual aids' (they are not human color scale). I forget if they are red and grayscale only? Something like that...

And if the 3 were to have it, the S and X have to get it first....

And he neither confirmed nor denied a HUD in the Model 3, only saying that it will have a single display, not two displays.
Actually he was asked specifically about a HUD in another tweet and he said no.
Screenshot 2017-04-01 at 7.21.56 AM.png

Regarding the HUD topic, what I hate the most is not losing the speed, but all the things you can add in the Model S little screen, like music, maps, tyres pressure..
I'm still not convinced there's enough room on one 15" screen to display all the crap people like to see and have access to when driving.

Can any Model S owners answer this question: Do you think it would hurt the functionality and enjoyment of your driving experience if everything on your dash screen was moved to the center screen? Would it be merely an inconvenience or a detriment?

I'm also a total stat guy. I like stats. That's why I was so pumped to get into a Tesla. I can configure my computer to tell me all the stats I want, and a Tesla is a drivable computer. I want my car to talk to me. Tell me what it's doing. Tell me what I'm doing! Tell me how I can drive it better. I got a scan gauge primarily for this reason. It makes driving more interesting and you can turn the different readouts into a game.

You've got the time, outside temperature, inside temperature, battery temperature, tire pressure, odo, speedo, range, energy usage, media, maps, autopilot, charge information, cruise control, headlights, high beams, turning signals, trip meters, all sorts of warning light indicators like seatbelt, check engine (?)...

And now you want to jam all that crap onto one screen? That central screen is going to get very busy very fast, and if you want it to not look like hideous binary vomit, you need to again limit yourself and your driving experience.

You lose out on functionality and elegance. I could easily see myself overlooking warnings because of all the other colors and text on that screen. The overlay or whatever "opacity" garbage Elon is on about will make it look terrible. The speedo already looks awful like it's just slapped on top of the map (because it is!) Now you're gonna slap even more stuff on there.

When you're busy trying to fit as much stuff in the most compact way possible, you lose out on any opportunity to make it look nice and pretty or fit the theme of the car. People design GUIs and programs and websites to look pretty because they're easy on the eyes and enjoyable to work with. Also a great way to breath life into the program and sell your product. How can Model 3's screen look good? We already lost out on the circular speedo gauge that, even though it's outdated, is still used on MANY cars because it looks great and gives an air of elegance. Something about a flat fonted number just loses the magic.

Model 3 will have the most stark, minimal interior in massive contrast to the busy screen. Maybe that's the plan. Make the screen so cuh-razy that your attention is instantly locked onto the ugly iPad so you don't notice that there's literally nothing else inside the car. But then you're looking at that god-awful screen. Tesla didn't think this one through.

This is how Model 3's screen will look once you've got it configured to your liking:

Too_many_toolbars-1024x837-1.jpg

Can any Model S owners answer this question: Do you think it would hurt the functionality and enjoyment of your driving experience if everything on your dash screen was moved to the center screen? Would it be merely an inconvenience or a detriment?

I already hated much of what updates 7 and 8 did to the usability of the Model S (and X). Info is harder to find, because so much has been moved away from the immediate closeness of the instrument cluster. One of my pet peeves was the odometer on the Classic Model S showing the only time I did not need it on 7/8 instrument cluster: while driving - and disappearing when parked or charging, when I actually might need to fill out a log of somesuch with the count... There are plenty of similar examples of things going to worse...

So, obviously Model 3 would be even worse, from a hardware standpoint. From a software point of view we may of course get better or worse software on the Model 3, remains to be seen. On Model S/X software versions 7/8 are much worse in information availability and density compared to 6.x, so software matters a lot...

I already hated much of what updates 7 and 8 did to the usability of the Model S (and X). Info is harder to find, because so much has been moved away from the immediate closeness of the instrument cluster. One of my pet peeves was the odometer on the Classic Model S showing the only time I did not need it on 7/8 instrument cluster: while driving - and disappearing when parked or charging, when I actually might need to fill out a log of somesuch with the count... There are plenty of similar examples of things going to worse...

So, obviously Model 3 would be even worse, from a hardware standpoint. From a software point of view we may of course get better or worse software on the Model 3, remains to be seen. On Model S/X software versions 7/8 are much worse in information availability and density compared to 6.x, so software matters a lot...
So basically the "Model 3 Experience" will just be constantly digging through nested menus. Even when driving!

It looks like Elon forgot to mention that there will be 2 smaller screens for the rear passengers. Together with the front center screen all sporting a new Tesla Appstore, Model 3 riders will be able to watch Netflix, download/play their favorite apps/games, and socialize with other Model 3 passengers in real time, plus commercials of course. In the app store, we will also find all kinds of tachometers faces. Model 3 will become the best mobile gaming platform! Moreover, when it drives itself, you might not want to sit in the front anymore.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: evp
It looks like Elon forgot to mention that there will be 2 smaller screens for the rear passengers. Together with the front center screen all sporting a new Tesla Appstore, Model 3 riders will be able to watch Netflix, download/play their favorite apps/games, and socialize with other Model 3 passengers in real time, plus commercials of course. In the app store, we will also find all kinds of tachometers faces. Model 3 will become the best mobile gaming platform! Moreover, when it drives itself, you might not want to sit in the front anymore.
So everybody else in the car has a great experience except for the driver? Unfortunate that I'll still have to sit up front because the first generation of this car will not be reliably fully autonomous in its lifespan.

• Disagree
Reactions: Topher
I don't understand the people getting so upset upon speculations & tweets about just one display and cancel their reservations now. Reservation fee doesn't go anywhere until you confirm purchase, and Part 3 unveil is not even out yet. Are they that impatient or in need of $1,000 so bad?

Reactions: melindav