Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon tweet re: lack of instrument cluster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was my first thought when I saw the suggestion of HUD posted. Superimpose autopilot information. Also highlight possible dangerous objects.
Imagine this + 11 years + Tesla UI finesse.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/H_wMyUEeIzQ/hqdefault.jpg
hqdefault.jpg

The hopeful "$1.40" reference was to implement a couple of simple LED readouts like speed, and range for instant visual access. An HUD would be lovely, but not for $1.40. I have not been in the car in order to see/feel how the actual reading of information would be, maybe it is not a problem...we'll see.

Sometime to think about...

Much like 3D "plays games" with red/blue lenses (at least the old versions), I suspect focal distance can be gamed by making the HUD UI slightly out of focus.
Yep and you can do some smart things like change the color of the object as it moves faster or is on a collision course. The AI might even be good enough to know if the object is looking away and unaware. Face detection could be useful as the AI could be more aware of targets as they move their glare.

Here's a crazy thought.

The actual physical dimensions of a 15" screen in landscape mode (based on Wikipedia) is 33cm wide X 21 cm high.

A 12" screen in portrait mode is 16cm wide X 26 cm high.

How about two 12" screens side by side in portrait modes? Total dimensions: 32 cm wide X 26 cm high.

The driver side (or both) screens could be mounted on a limited swivel mount. This will allow the screens to be swiveled to the driver or passenger (or other side driver for RHD vehicles).

This would help the driver take a better look at the instrument display which can be angled for the driver comfort. The displays would be linked to allow the displays to be swapped etc. Obviously some fixed features will be on both or just the driver display.

Reactions: BriansTesla
E. Musk and TM has hired someone from the Porsche E-Mission project for the interior. Now we wait and see....

Well, the e-mission renderings all had a nice driver oriented cockpit with an actual dash, so it will be interesting to see what they come up with. I really can't get on board with the idea of driving around looking at a piece of plastic in front of my face.

Reactions: pmich80
I like the solution that the Prius has. It is projected from below, and reflected back. This gives a long focal distance just below the window. The display looks like it is coming from under the wipers. Older eyes appreciate not having to change focus that far from road to speedometer.

Thank you kindly.

What car out there doesn't have that now?

I don't know if you're trying to be funny or serious, but my current car and last four cars were all very well instrumented. Some of them had HUDs. At a minimum I expect to have my speed, vehicle status (charge level for an EV, health of onboard systems), nav information (next turn, autopilot status) in my line of sight. My wife had a Mini with the instruments off to the right and it was really really irritating and annoying to have to glance over there all the time to get information.

We'll see what the final implementation is, but currently I'm not impressed with the idea of a giant iPad stuck in the middle of the console being the sole source of information.

I understand that for many this is not a big deal, but it's a big deal to me and probably a lot of other people as well.

Tesla can't just say that their system is superior or like a "starship" they actually have to demonstrate that people who are interested in driving cars and enjoying the driving experience, who need lots of real time feedback, will prefer their new way of doing things.

I don't know if you're trying to be funny or serious, but my current car and last four cars were all very well instrumented. Some of them had HUDs. At a minimum I expect to have my speed, vehicle status (charge level for an EV, health of onboard systems), nav information (next turn, autopilot status) in my line of sight. My wife had a Mini with the instruments off to the right and it was really really irritating and annoying to have to glance over there all the time to get information.

We'll see what the final implementation is, but currently I'm not impressed with the idea of a giant iPad stuck in the middle of the console being the sole source of information.

I understand that for many this is not a big deal, but it's a big deal to me and probably a lot of other people as well.

Tesla can't just say that their system is superior or like a "starship" they actually have to demonstrate that people who are interested in driving cars and enjoying the driving experience, who need lots of real time feedback, will prefer their new way of doing things.
I also had a Mini Cooper and speed was presented in digital info on the gauge above the wheel as well as the dial in the center of the dash. Not sure how one could hate glancing so far over there, when they could glance further from the road to the location above the wheel.

I also had a Mini Cooper and speed was presented in digital info on the gauge above the wheel as well as the dial in the center of the dash. Not sure how one could hate glancing so far over there, when they could glance further from the road to the location above the wheel.

Whatever you say, only been driving for about 30 years now and simply relaying my experience. It is much easier/faster for me to glance down which takes something like 1/10 of a second compared to glancing over to the right which takes my focus further off the road. Best integration experience by far was last BMW which had a pretty good HUD implementation. No reason to ever take eyes from road for essentials.

To each their own.

Whatever you say, only been driving for about 30 years now and simply relaying my experience. It is much easier/faster for me to glance down which takes something like 1/10 of a second compared to glancing over to the right which takes my focus further off the road. Best integration experience by far was last BMW which had a pretty good HUD implementation. No reason to ever take eyes from road for essentials.

Don't use your mini experience to judge Model 3. The left upper corner of the big screen should be able to place the read out much closer to your line of sight than mini's. The eye travel from the road to the left upper corner of the screen should actually be less than the traditional speedometer. And HUD does not always work, I can't see my BMW's HUD with my polarized sunglasses during the day.

0LzIIJz.jpg

Judging from an interior shot from the reveal, I'd estimate the speed readout to be about 5" further to the right of the steering wheel edge. I too am concerned about any extra distance/distraction from the road in front.

Don't think so.
5"? - that's almost to the middle of the screen!
I did my estimation above based on this photo. The screen should align right at the R edge of the steering wheel.
Even if it is a bit further to the right and down, the eye travel should STILL be shorter distance than to the traditional speedometer.

tesla-model-3-first-ride-010-1020.0.0.jpg

Don't think the screen is even with the steering wheel and the readout is about 2' in from the left edge of the screen. However you may be right what with parallax issues effecting the dimensions. The proof will be in actually sitting in the car in 3D.