Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon tweet re: lack of instrument cluster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The reason for the landscape mode is for the screen to replace the instrument panel.
Landscape mode, and making the screen separate from the dash allow them to place the left upper edge of the screen much closer to the driver's line of sight.

If you use a portrait screen which is integrated into the central console, you would have to move your eyes a lot further from the road to see the info.

That's what a HUD is for :)

No, they're about the main 17" touchscreen. I don't even think the IP in front of the driver is touch-enabled.

That's the issue: "make sure it works". This was a pretty crucial part: it's how you interact with the car besides the pedals and the wheel. It's been 3 years+ with only marginal improvements.

And it was a $70k+ car. That doesn't bode well at all.

And then, what if the MAIN computer fails? While driving on a curvy road? And the throttle sticks on full power? And the power steering goes out? And the battery ignites? (Make sure to cite all comments on battery replacement, fires, switch problems.) And then the center screen goes blank?

AAaaaaauugh!!! We're all gonna die!

Love all the humor, speculation, death wish, deal breaker conjecturing that goes on. All you people, ALL of you, will get a chance to drive Reveal v. 2. That only gives for about another 8 months to a year to prophesy and imagine "what could possibly go wrong that I must post so those idiots at Tesla can fix it".

And all of you that decide that you'd rather be driving a crushable econobox gas sucking pollution machine, "Thank you! Please step out of line. There are several hundred thousand behind you."

This is how Toyota solves the center display problem in the Prius V. I find it OK to use, but it's awfully busy, even with essential vehicle systems and performance, and nav/environmental/entertainment data up on separate screens.
Robin
We own a Prius (v)agon too. Due to this thread I paid attention the last time I was in the car and noted that it only has a centralized display.

The point ? I had forgotten.

Continental has an augmented reality HUD system in development. It apparently uses the TI digital micromirror device (DMD) . The downside is it takes up about 11 liters for the guts inside the dash.

slidernav3.jpg

Continental has an augmented reality HUD system in development. It apparently uses the TI digital micromirror device (DMD) . The downside is it takes up about 11 liters for the guts inside the dash.

I think all car manufacturers have these types of technology in development or experiment.
But we won't see this in Model 3.

Maybe they will be introduced in the S or X some time in the future. But these augmented reality HUDs are more of a driver's aid. With the emphasis on autonomous driving, I am not sure if it is compatible with Tesla's vision of future cars.

Reactions: Red Sage
Maybe they will be introduced in the S or X some time in the future. But these augmented reality HUDs are more of a driver's aid. With the emphasis on autonomous driving, I am not sure if it is compatible with Tesla's vision of future cars.

Model 3 may not get a HUD, but if not, I don't think it will be because it's not a driver's car. Autonomous driving will face a lot of regulatory hurdles, regardless of technical progress, that will slow its adoption down. Also, as long as Autopilot is Level 3, beta, and requires the driver to intervene in some cases, the feedback to the driver will be crucial. These sorts of AR-HUD's look like a great way to let the driver know what the system is doing--which cars are being tracked, which road markings are relevant, etc.

Even if the screen crashes or lags, it won't effect the car. One of the first things I tried with the Model S was to reboot the screens while driving. Guess what? Everything keeps working. No big deal. Music and Nav will stop, but that is hardly safety critical. Every essential driving system in the S is rock solid, and works without the screens. The 17inch screen may occasionally lag when you open the controls window, but that isn't really a big deal. Never had any lag on the instrument cluster in the 3 years I've had my car.

A screen may be a new way to to display information, but all of the gear that feeds info to the screen is basically the same in all cars, whether it gets displayed on a screen or a dial. Nothing to worry about. Can't wait to see what they come up with for the next part of the reveal.

All of Model S lag issues are due to a 6 year old Tegra SoC being burdened by an increasing list of real-time tasks with each new software update. Try running the new Android Marshmallow on a tablet from 2010 and tell me how that goes. Tesla is not going to do a recall to replace the hardware on tens of thousands of screens just to fix an issue that bothers a minority of users, needing a system reboot only a handful of times a year.

This in no way can predict issues with Model 3 screens, unless you are assuming Tesla is going to use the same old Tegra SoC again. Well, obviously they won't. Intel has come a long way over the past 2 years, with their mobile SoC technology. We have Intel 14nm Skylake-U SoC now that operates at the same power rating as the old Tegra 3, at a lower TDP, and is 10 times faster in computations. I'll guarantee you that the Model 3 (and refreshed Model S/X) will have a new SoC that's going to be 10 times more powerful, or even more.

slidernav3.jpg

Lack of a conventional instrument cluster behind the steering wheel will free up all that in-dash space to easily accommodate an eleven liter system. Ease of manufacture isn't an issue either, since conventional clusters aren't exactly any easier to install compared to a projection system. I think it all comes down to the economics of having that system in a car that starts at $35K.

Ease of manufacture isn't an issue either, since conventional clusters aren't exactly any easier to install compared to a projection system. I think it all comes down to the economics of having that system in a car that starts at $35K.

It is an issue, and that's the precise reason why they got rid of the conventional clusters!
So I can't see why they would put in an equally complicated system (augmented reality HUD) to slow down the manufacturing.
And it is too expensive for Model 3.

It is an issue, and that's the precise reason why they got rid of the conventional clusters!
So I can't see why they would put in an equally complicated system (augmented reality HUD) to slow down the manufacturing.
And it is too expensive for Model 3.

Neither of us know WHY Tesla ditched the instrument panel. We are just making assumptions. But, I do know the dash assembly costs for a HUD will be very similar to that of an IPC, from my work experience as an engineer in the auto industry.

As far as cost of the AR-HUD system itself goes, I do concede that even the economics of scale might not be able to make it cheap enough for the Model 3. I can definitely see it in the S/X, though.

If I haven't missed anything, discussion so far has been circling around the model 3. But what if they refresh the whole fleet at the same time and gain better scales of volume that way? Something like reveal 2 shows some sort of hud / separate see-through glass or something like that for all models?

Of course, they might want to keep separation between models S and X to model 3.

Neither of us know WHY Tesla ditched the instrument panel. We are just making assumptions. But, I do know the dash assembly costs for a HUD will be very similar to that of an IPC, from my work experience as an engineer in the auto industry.

As far as cost of the AR-HUD system itself goes, I do concede that even the economics of scale might not be able to make it cheap enough for the Model 3. I can definitely see it in the S/X, though.

Actually it may be economically possible to have it cheap enough for the model 3 if they order enough of the same HUD model from a manufacturer and implement it into all of their models (3 and future S X's). The higher amount of bulk parts you order, then you should be able to get a lower price per part. I will agree that's usually the general rule but that doesn't always apply to everything so I could be wrong but I'm just saying that there's a possibility of that.

If so, it will have to be a steering wheel that doesn't turn, because when the wheel turns the data will rotate. GPUs aren't powerful enough, and displays are not responsive enough, to smoothly compensate for rapid rotation of the physical display so that the data being displayed remains legible.

In any case, the steering wheel is much too close to the driver to be useful as a data display area. You have to drop your gaze too much and focus too closely to easily absorb the data being displayed.
I dunno, my iPhone is able to keep the compass pretty legible while tilting it pretty quickly.