Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Tweeting about Thailand and Reputation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, he didn't. An apology is addressed to the aggrieved party. Hearing that your uncle billing feels bad that he called you a pedo at the last family party is not an apology, is it?
I apologize to Mr. Unsworth
. That is in fact an apology to the aggrieved party, said to the entire world.

Not by how I raised my children, or in any western ethical tradition I'm familiar with. An apology requires directness except where it would cause harm.

What we have here is a weenie move constructed by PR folks (hi guys) and delivered by an unhappy man.

I don't particularly care about two dudes slinging sh*t. I do care about what is involved in an actual apology. Not that it matters in this case, as Musk has probably done enough for this event to fade.

He literally said: “I apologize to Mr. Unsworth”, to which you’re responding to saying he didn’t apologize. o_O The only way I can think of of being more direct would be to use Neuralink to direct-brain-transfer the apology.

Not by how I raised my children, or in any western ethical tradition I'm familiar with. An apology requires directness except where it would cause harm.

What we have here is a weenie move constructed by PR folks (hi guys) and delivered by an unhappy man.

I don't particularly care about two dudes slinging sh*t. I do care about what is involved in an actual apology. Not that it matters in this case, as Musk has probably done enough for this event to fade.

I am totally agree on the directness. Do it in private - it is between these 2. The only 5 words from these 2 the public need is:
- We talk, we cool
- Yeah.

The apology tweet included a key reference to Elon's sexual interpretation of Vern's mini-sub insult. Perhaps not on the same level as Elon's, but now more difficult for the media to ignore Vern's initial remarks a
Excellent point and clever on Elon’s part. The [EDIT: the romantic(?) partner of the younger Thai local] asked for it with his lies and crude insult.

And so long as the cost of this particular incident is low and short-lived, it may have been worth it in the long run because Elon has now signaled that he fights back and fights back hard. Martin Tripp is going through discovery with info turned over to authorities and [EDIT the romantic(?) partner of the young Thai local] has been called out as at a minimum fitting a stereotype as well as having a May December romance with a local. The next guy may think twice at picking a fight with Elon.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: adaptabl and GreenT
For that matter, it’s possible he already made a private apology. It would, by its very nature, be private from us.

I never mentioned a private apology. An actual apology requires directness. What qualifies as adequate directness in this case debatable. But what is not debatable is that Musk did the absolute minimum by replying to a tweet instead of issuing a public statement.

A child is criticized by a parent for harming another. The child reflexively says "I'm sorry". The typical parent reply? "Don't tell me, tell them". This is wisdom. This is directness.

A criminal pleading guilty to a crime is required to formally admit guilt. This is not an apology. If the criminal wants to apologize before sentencing the judge will require as direct an apology as the victim desires. This is why criminals are required to stand in court and apologize directly to their victim.

Anyone been on the receiving end of an AA apology? Or perhaps done AA and made amends? Directness and clarity is an absolute requirement. An often annoying requirement for many people on the receiving end.

Excellent point and clever on Elon’s part. Pedo guy asked for it with his lies and crude insult.

And so long as the cost of this particular incident is low and short-lived, it may have been worth it in the long run because Elon has now signaled that he fights back and fights back hard. Martin Tripp is going through discovery with info turned over to authorities and Pedo Guy has been called out as at a minimum fitting a stereotype as well as having a May December romance with a local. The next guy may think twice at picking a fight with Elon.
Why do you insist on fanning the flames? The more you use the p*** word the worse it gets. I am muting you.

I never mentioned a private apology. An actual apology requires directness. What qualifies as adequate directness in this case debatable. But what is not debatable is that Musk did the absolute minimum by replying to a tweet instead of issuing a public statement.

A child is criticized by a parent for harming another. The child reflexively says "I'm sorry". The typical parent reply? "Don't tell me, tell them". This is wisdom. This is directness.

A criminal pleading guilty to a crime is required to formally admit guilt. This is not an apology. If the criminal wants to apologize before sentencing the judge will require as direct an apology as the victim desires. This is why criminals are required to stand in court and apologize directly to their victim.

Anyone been on the receiving end of an AA apology? Or perhaps done AA and made amends? Directness and clarity is an absolute requirement. An often annoying requirement for many people on the receiving end.

If I insult you in public and apologize in private, did that really help? Elon is not doing this for his personal recovery, so AA has little to no bearing on the situation.

The insult was in a public forum, most potential damage was public perception. The apology was in the same forum and addressed the public perception more than a private apology would.

Anyone find Vern's comment's strange?

"Unsworth said he hadn't flatly denied Musk's accusation because he was waiting for legal advice."

British caver says he approached by U.S., British lawyers over Musk's comments

In no way should we infer that Vern is a pedo based on that.

Even Musk wasn’t sure. He could of said look - here’s proof instead of “bet you a signed dollar”.

All we know is

Vern is a hero to those kids.
Vern went out of his way to be an asshole to Musk.

What i conjecture is

Musk is just talking *sugar* using stereotypes because he’s pissed and is a juvinile at times with his responses.

You try to give everyone a fair shake. Integrity is not a team sport. This applies to Musk fans and haters alike.

Reactions: Tslynk67

From what I’ve seen, Unsworth doesn’t have a twitter account or much else in the way of public facing social media. The only way to directly apologize to him would be to do so in private(which, again, may or may not have happened/will happen, we’ll likely never know).