Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Tweeting about Thailand and Reputation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is the the sort of news event that gets cut through to normal people, causing untold damage to Elon’s reputation. And because he has quite deliberately blurred the line between Tesla and himself, this damages the company, everyone that works there and all it’s financial investors.

The media coverage of the Thai rescue received blanket coverage globally. In the Uk there has even been talk about awarding the divers the George Cross, the highest civilian award for bravery. Publicly calling one of these people a peadophile and then doubling down on that? Superficially it’s too easy to portray as him getting angry because someone else got to be the hero.

Been an investor a long time, this is the first time I find myself hesitating about whether Tesla really is the right home for such a significant percentage of my retirement savings. Without its brand and it’s customers’ and employees’ zeal for the mission, in the long term it’s just another car company.
This is very well-said and bears repeating. We, as investors, expect responsible uses for the money we are investing in a company. I'm not giving Elon money to call people pedophiles apropos of nothing. That is a level of beyond the pale which would make our President blush. Elon deliberately makes himself the face of Tesla, and he should probably consider that being the face of Tesla is not unlike how Steve Jobs was the face of Apple for many years and maybe conduct himself a little more like Jobs and a little less like Trump.

Been an investor a long time, this is the first time I find myself hesitating about whether Tesla really is the right home for such a significant percentage of my retirement savings. Without its brand and it’s customers’ and employees’ zeal for the mission, in the long term it’s just another car company.

Have to say I agree. There really is no excuse for that behavior. So many people look up to him as an inspiration for making the world a better place, and here you have him calling one of the publicly perceived heroes a "pedo." Completely disappointed. This is going to hurt tomorrow I'm sure of it. Hope this storm blows over one way or another soon.

Reactions: MauryDann
The solution "team pedo" devised was a lot more elegant than Musk's minisub. After the week the divers experienced its not surprising that they would tell Musk what to do with his minisub. Musk should have just been gracious and shut up. All the cave divers are heroes in the truest sense. The brits were the experienced leaders of the effort. Pedo guy is apparently the lead brit.

Of course Musk may feel that sleeping under a desk in the factory is the same as spending the nights two miles into the Thai cave.

Think about how seriously messed up this whole cave/tweet thing is and what it really says about life at Tesla:
- Elon thinks that he is so smart that he can design a useful cave extraction sub while he is in a swimming pool in LA. Despite the fact that he knows nothing about the cave, the currents, the dimensions, the time requirements, etc.
- Elon flies out to Thailand, inserts himself if the middle of a huge operation - and asks for a tour and to show off his (soon to be proven) useless sub. He demands time, logistics support, and generally gets in the way of the people who are doing real work.
- His efforts are obviously misguided, as anyone who has been in tight cave passages (I have) can tell you and as the expert in the situation in Thailand pointed out.
- His efforts are obviously too late since some of the boys were already out. But, Elon can't just chalk it up to "I tried" and move on.
- Instead, his ego is so fragile, that he goes to PR war with not one, but two of the people who actually rescued the boys.
- Then, days later, when the most experienced person in the situation calls him out on it, Elon not only goes to war with him, but then he promises to go back to the cave and show off his cave/sub prowess. Then, just to make sure everyone knows how crazy he is, - Elon accuses the rescue her of being a pedophile in a public forum. He shows no restraint and no dignity.

Can you imagine what it must be like to work for Musk? No wonder anyone who can leaves. No wonder their manufacturing lines are screwed up; the design of the M3 has problems, and quality is a frequent issue. I am sure no one ever crosses him at the company, even when his ideas are completely and obviously stupid. And no wonder when Musk makes promises that are totally at odds with reality, none of his employees call him out on it.

Think about how seriously messed up this whole cave/tweet thing is and what it really says about life at Tesla:
- Elon thinks that he is so smart that he can design a useful cave extraction sub while he is in a swimming pool in LA. Despite the fact that he knows nothing about the cave, the currents, the dimensions, the time requirements, etc.
- Elon flies out to Thailand, inserts himself if the middle of a huge operation - and asks for a tour and to show off his (soon to be proven) useless sub. He demands time, logistics support, and generally gets in the way of the people who are doing real work.
- His efforts are obviously misguided, as anyone who has been in tight cave passages (I have) can tell you and as the expert in the situation in Thailand pointed out.
- His efforts are obviously too late since some of the boys were already out. But, Elon can't just chalk it up to "I tried" and move on.
- Instead, his ego is so fragile, that he goes to PR war with not one, but two of the people who actually rescued the boys.
- Then, days later, when the most experienced person in the situation calls him out on it, Elon not only goes to war with him, but then he promises to go back to the cave and show off his cave/sub prowess. Then, just to make sure everyone knows how crazy he is, - Elon accuses the rescue her of being a pedophile in a public forum. He shows no restraint and no dignity.

Can you imagine what it must be like to work for Musk? No wonder anyone who can leaves. No wonder their manufacturing lines are screwed up; the design of the M3 has problems, and quality is a frequent issue. I am sure no one ever crosses him at the company, even when his ideas are completely and obviously stupid. And no wonder when Musk makes promises that are totally at odds with reality, none of his employees call him out on it.

you forgot to mention all those faked SpaceX launches. no end to Eron frauds.

totally not how it went down, quite the opposite.
he was requested repeatedly for assistance as a plan b should the caves flood.
35E9E413-5E6F-4A4D-9DB1-822C0E0B1EEE.png

I just want to know where Elon got the info that the guy was a pedo. I cannot find any info or accusations online about the guy.

What you should do is try to forget that he even accused him. He presented no evidence, therefore what he wrote should be ignored. The failure to ignore rumor and unsubstantiated accusations is something that destroys people's lives.

New theory, british dive team leader stanton is the one who told Elon that vern is a pedo. Now Elon is collecting the evidence.

How is that relevant? Were the boys molested in the cave? Was it like "Hey, we got some boys in a cave for can molest if you will bring them out after".

And what was the point of a submarine when a two pound full face mask can provide life support? Not only was the submarine dimensionally problematic, but it added substantial complications with buoyancy and mass.

Reactions: MauryDann
I’m starting to get a little concerned that the thousands of fake twitter accounts and the few actually real accounts who have their facts twisted by all the fud are taking a toll on Elon. I kinda wish he would just stop replying. I’m new to the forum so not sure if this is the best place to make this comment, if not point me in the right direction. Seems obvious to me they are trying to get him to crack. I actually fear for his safety. Is this crazy? Seems like big oil and the other automakers are getting extremely threatened by him and the crap is really ramping up.

It is definitely a perception war on Elon right now. They understand his soft spot (defending his employees and own honor to do good works) and are attacking it relentlessly to provoke a reaction.

I think Elon doesn’t care how he comes off when this honor is questioned in a big enough circulation media. This demonstrates to employees he’s with them to the end, but his off comments feed the trolls who’s very existence is to get him fired up.

I think Elon is doing so many good things and achieving so many epoch making milestones he can power thru the media turbulence of the moment. With 23 launches this year with spacex, further announcements of new energy deals, new models to unveil, digging tunnel infrastructure, hyperloop demonstrations, etc etc... so many things to come that in a short attention span news cycle world, these events ought to force media to report with frequency the overwhelmingly great things Elon and crew are doing after these tweets or non tweets.

I think if Elon can direct his passion for his employee efforts in social media by taking the trolls set ups and using them to showcase his employees successes and up coming events and products.

I think he could produce videos or memes that completely smash troll negativity by showing their contrast with reality. If trolls say Elon is a rich billionaire eating caviar in his irony tower, make a instagram post of Elon waking up from his sleeping bag on the factory floor, shaving on the run, and clocking in to turn bolt on the chassis of a model 3, getting a pat on the back from fellow employee followed up by a shot of Elon wiping his brow among the 100s of shift employees as the watch an M3 leaving the factory into a sunrise lit parking lot of a 1,000 cars waiting to be shipped out to customers.

He can do this over and over again addressing all scenarios that the opposition forces throw at him and defeat them handily on the perception front.

We all know Elon and crew are performing “miracles” now it’s time to let the rest of the world appreciate it through good/effective content releases that show it in its rawest form.