Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Tweeting about Thailand and Reputation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good article: Elon Musk 'pedo guy' faux pas fuels polarization problem

And came across this great post on twitter from Bonnie Norman, who I think used to be a moderator here (emphasis below is my own)

This should be how you do twitter:

"Get your coffee. This is going to be a thread...

This is my thread, you don't have to be here. You can choose to move on. Or you can be part of a conversation. You don't have to agree. But if you can't be civil, move on please. Name calling? Instant block. You are out of the convo. Calling someone a troll or a fanboy? Blocked. Dismissive labels say 'you're immaterial' and kills actual discourse. If you want to comment, use your words.

Also, let's get this out of the way up front: Yes, calling someone a 'pedo' is no better. Apologies are owed. But if you're one of the people with the faux outrage, sit down. You don't get to attack someone repeatedly & then clutch your pearls while reaching for your smelling salts when your target finally reacts. You're a bully. I subscribe to life being a team sport, not a competition. I don't get ahead by bring you down. And it may be a bit of a surprise, but you don't make gains in life that matter by taking others down.

I have watched for over a week as mob mentality has taken over. Evidence that Elon's help was welcomed? Ignored. More evidence? Ignored. But a British diver says Elon can 'stick his submarine where it hurts' & it's a mob feeding frenzy. The media loves a fight. Fights bring clicks. Clicks bring cash. The diver produced a golden nugget of a quote, amplified by the mob FAR beyond actual significance .... and shorts/oil interests/competitors cheered you on. Mob. Mentality. It's all so knee-jerk. "I'm canceling my reservation because he gave monies to my enemies!!". Okay, let me know when your gas car can run on moral outrage & you don't actually need to buy gas. No conflict there.

Critical thinking and just being a decent human being seems to be taking some time off. There are a lot of special interests with a vested interest in seeing Tesla taken down. Most of you are being used by those people to further those interests. And some of you ARE those people. I see you.

I've really been disappointed in the human race this last week. Instead of being willing to recognize genuine offers of help, giving $/resources are requested, a mob decides to cyber bully. And when the bullying target reacts, you celebrate drawing blood. I'm disgusted. Why is this blood-letting necessary. If you're short, make your arguments on the merits (and I know that some of you do). There is no need to make this personal, but wow. You guys know you do. You look for buttons to push and stomp them hard. It makes me want to withdraw from the human race - but I'm not ready to cede the narrative to the mob. So here I am.

Seriously, if you're short TSLA, trust your own decisions. You don't need to tear others down. Attack the numbers.

Thankfully, twitter is not the world. Most people can't hide behind an anonymous name, hoping you'll believe they have actual balls in real life. I have enjoyed seeing some anon accounts held accountable. Actions should have consequences. I don't get to rob a bank wearing a mask & then object to being caught because 'I wore a mask, dammit!!'. Episcopalian guilt over my enjoyment. #NotPerfectObviously

For me, credibility is completely shot when a self-proclaimed whistleblower runs first to the media over concerns for investors, then the story changes to safety concerns - but doesn't go to a govt agency first w those concerns. Not how it works. The self-proclaimed whistleblower runs to the media outlet run by the guy who can no longer work in the securities biz. Not a recognized news outlet. If YOU were concerned, is that what you'd do? Corp espionage and sabotage is a real thing, btw. Scared to report internally? There is not a single person that works on a factory floor that doesn't know about OSHA. Even YOU know about OSHA. So I call bs. Going to the media doesn't pass the whistleblower test. So I'm waiting on the court case. Truth seeks sunlight. And hopefully disinfects the stench of Twitter lately.

But let's be real: Some of you have really bad body odor, tbh.

So who are you? Are you just part of the mob? Are you tearing down a man because you need/want to see a company fail? Blood sport? Does it make you feel better about yourself? I've publicly been clear why I'm a fan of the company. I'm also a fan of Elon's. Saying I'm a fan doesn't mean 'blind idolization', btw. No one is perfect. Tough to work for? Better know your stuff. He's driven, his words are rarely carefully chosen (though that may be in the pro column, dunno). And he actually cares. Because he cares, this whole twitter mob has to be even more painful. It doesn't matter how many followers someone has - blood is drawn by nasty comments. None of us are immune to that. Not me, not you. No one.

Thailand, Flint - it's not a PR game, though so many jaded people scream that it is - I suspect because they're projecting their own belief system and what they'd do. That's the only way some people can understand why someone would help someone else. He's got kids. He cares about their future. And everyone is grabbing pitchforks & torches, bullying someone that has actually been making a positive difference. People suck sometimes. Be better. Twitter is not the real world.

Sadly, lazy news orgs use info they find here on twitter to write salacious headlines and stories, so this stench leaks out. But I personally don't have to be part of it. I'm going to sink my toes in the dirt today & just breathe. "

Elon’s latest Twitter flop was his biggest tweet flop yet. Large institutional holders have been starting to question his stability and competency as a leader, and this only exacerbates it. Let’s not kid ourselves... today’s drop is due to selling caused by TSLA holders in shock and disbelief over Elon’s conduct. This is a big deal, at least in my opinion. Where is his apology? How hard is it to tweet “I am sorry.” Even if his allegations are true, still there are ten thousand better ways to handle it than tweeting “pedo guy”. Some people seem to think Elon can tweet anything and it won’t affect TSLA, but let’s be realistic. TSLA’s stock price is heavily influenced by stockholders’ belief in his stability and competency as a leader, and stupid tweets don’t help that.
I'm curious where you are getting the information about institutional holders questioning Elon's stability. I would say that's a pretty serious concern for stock holders, if true. It's very different from negative PR due to Elon tweeting like he is having private conversations in front of the entire world. The only related thing I have seen is this tweet regarding James Anderson of Baillie Gifford:
DiLcKfSWsAE3PKx.jpg:large

Reactions: X Yes?
The slide is because Elon is the face of Tesla and the face of Tesla is busy humiliating himself on Twitter and there's no one who apparently has enough influence with him to convince to delete his Twitter account.

Causation/correlation. How do you price a twitter rant at 3.5%? :D

On the other hand, you have to think it might be deliberate. It's not exactly a huge secret that Musk loves the shorts, it means cheap shares for those who believe the company will succeed and it's now looking more and more likely that's a slam dunk.

Reactions: kyne and bdy0627
I'm curious where you are getting the information about institutional holders questioning Elon's stability. I would say that's a pretty serious concern for stock holders, if true. It's very different from negative PR due to Elon tweeting like he is having private conversations in front of the entire world. The only related thing I have seen is this tweet regarding James Anderson of Baillie Gifford:
DiLcKfSWsAE3PKx.jpg:large

They're not. On the other hand, if Elon resigned tomorrow the stock would tank.

Yes, it would be great if he just said "I'm sorry bro" but that seems unlikely. If it drags on for months with a legal case there will be concern it will distract him at a time he's already seemingly over-stretched.

If Elon's comment was a snarky reaction to this guy's much younger wife, then wow, this has really been blown out of proportion!;)

I doubt it was. I think 1) Elon was drunk, and 2) Elon thinks he knows something bad about this guy.

IMO if Elon was drunk its not a big deal. People say stupid stuff when disinhibited. If Elon was sober its a confusing situation.

/\ He has a lot of the traits of someone on the high functioning part of the spectrum. This is the first time I'm actually seriously considering is the guy losing it. I hope he has someone close enough who he will listen to, who can tell him to calm himself, and don't engage in pointless no-win situations.

SAD! He's got all the maturity of Trump. He should be removed by the board of directors. No impulse control, his judgement is suspect..

SAD! He's got all the maturity of Trump. He should be removed by the board of directors. No impulse control, his judgement is suspect..

notwithstanding that Elon would be wise to make a very big effort/priority steering from tweeting something this inflammatory again,

but,

there is a consistent and very large difference between Trump and Elon twitter insults,

Trump opens battle season with people, Elon does not.

Both get a staggering amount of incoming at this point (not a Trump endorsement, just an observation).

Good article: Elon Musk 'pedo guy' faux pas fuels polarization problem

And came across this great post on twitter from Bonnie Norman, who I think used to be a moderator here (emphasis below is my own)

This should be how you do twitter:

"Get your coffee. This is going to be a thread...

This is my thread, you don't have to be here. You can choose to move on. Or you can be part of a conversation. You don't have to agree. But if you can't be civil, move on please. Name calling? Instant block. You are out of the convo. Calling someone a troll or a fanboy? Blocked. Dismissive labels say 'you're immaterial' and kills actual discourse. If you want to comment, use your words.

Also, let's get this out of the way up front: Yes, calling someone a 'pedo' is no better. Apologies are owed. But if you're one of the people with the faux outrage, sit down. You don't get to attack someone repeatedly & then clutch your pearls while reaching for your smelling salts when your target finally reacts. You're a bully. I subscribe to life being a team sport, not a competition. I don't get ahead by bring you down. And it may be a bit of a surprise, but you don't make gains in life that matter by taking others down.

I have watched for over a week as mob mentality has taken over. Evidence that Elon's help was welcomed? Ignored. More evidence? Ignored. But a British diver says Elon can 'stick his submarine where it hurts' & it's a mob feeding frenzy. The media loves a fight. Fights bring clicks. Clicks bring cash. The diver produced a golden nugget of a quote, amplified by the mob FAR beyond actual significance .... and shorts/oil interests/competitors cheered you on. Mob. Mentality. It's all so knee-jerk. "I'm canceling my reservation because he gave monies to my enemies!!". Okay, let me know when your gas car can run on moral outrage & you don't actually need to buy gas. No conflict there.

Critical thinking and just being a decent human being seems to be taking some time off. There are a lot of special interests with a vested interest in seeing Tesla taken down. Most of you are being used by those people to further those interests. And some of you ARE those people. I see you.

I've really been disappointed in the human race this last week. Instead of being willing to recognize genuine offers of help, giving $/resources are requested, a mob decides to cyber bully. And when the bullying target reacts, you celebrate drawing blood. I'm disgusted. Why is this blood-letting necessary. If you're short, make your arguments on the merits (and I know that some of you do). There is no need to make this personal, but wow. You guys know you do. You look for buttons to push and stomp them hard. It makes me want to withdraw from the human race - but I'm not ready to cede the narrative to the mob. So here I am.

Seriously, if you're short TSLA, trust your own decisions. You don't need to tear others down. Attack the numbers.

Thankfully, twitter is not the world. Most people can't hide behind an anonymous name, hoping you'll believe they have actual balls in real life. I have enjoyed seeing some anon accounts held accountable. Actions should have consequences. I don't get to rob a bank wearing a mask & then object to being caught because 'I wore a mask, dammit!!'. Episcopalian guilt over my enjoyment. #NotPerfectObviously

For me, credibility is completely shot when a self-proclaimed whistleblower runs first to the media over concerns for investors, then the story changes to safety concerns - but doesn't go to a govt agency first w those concerns. Not how it works. The self-proclaimed whistleblower runs to the media outlet run by the guy who can no longer work in the securities biz. Not a recognized news outlet. If YOU were concerned, is that what you'd do? Corp espionage and sabotage is a real thing, btw. Scared to report internally? There is not a single person that works on a factory floor that doesn't know about OSHA. Even YOU know about OSHA. So I call bs. Going to the media doesn't pass the whistleblower test. So I'm waiting on the court case. Truth seeks sunlight. And hopefully disinfects the stench of Twitter lately.

But let's be real: Some of you have really bad body odor, tbh.

So who are you? Are you just part of the mob? Are you tearing down a man because you need/want to see a company fail? Blood sport? Does it make you feel better about yourself? I've publicly been clear why I'm a fan of the company. I'm also a fan of Elon's. Saying I'm a fan doesn't mean 'blind idolization', btw. No one is perfect. Tough to work for? Better know your stuff. He's driven, his words are rarely carefully chosen (though that may be in the pro column, dunno). And he actually cares. Because he cares, this whole twitter mob has to be even more painful. It doesn't matter how many followers someone has - blood is drawn by nasty comments. None of us are immune to that. Not me, not you. No one.

Thailand, Flint - it's not a PR game, though so many jaded people scream that it is - I suspect because they're projecting their own belief system and what they'd do. That's the only way some people can understand why someone would help someone else. He's got kids. He cares about their future. And everyone is grabbing pitchforks & torches, bullying someone that has actually been making a positive difference. People suck sometimes. Be better. Twitter is not the real world.

Sadly, lazy news orgs use info they find here on twitter to write salacious headlines and stories, so this stench leaks out. But I personally don't have to be part of it. I'm going to sink my toes in the dirt today & just breathe. "

Please see wish list item 3 I wrote here late last night, re Bonnie, this excellent response from her, and the potential for her to help a bunch more

wish list:

apology

live, one hour prime time one-on-one with Oprah on 60 Minutes (where she is currently a part time correspondent) this week.

strategy going forward to address rampant misinformation re Tesla, products, and Elon, & Elon’s need for support keeping this effort toward responsive rather than reactive communication. Tesla perspective needs to be heard way more, but, someone collaborating with Elon/taking much of the response off Elon’s plate would be a great help. From the outside of Tesla, Deepak A, Andrea J, or, Bonnie N, look like good candidates to me.

Last edited:
Causation/correlation. How do you price a twitter rant at 3.5%? :D

On the other hand, you have to think it might be deliberate. It's not exactly a huge secret that Musk loves the shorts, it means cheap shares for those who believe the company will succeed and it's now looking more and more likely that's a slam dunk.
The price of TSLA is more or less arbitrary right now since the company has a negative P/E ratio and whatnot. So maybe 3.5% is the fair market value of Elon calling a man a pedo on Twitter these days. Or maybe the market has no short term concept of rationality.

I never thought I would say this but thank God that Trump and Putin thing was such a disaster today because it is really drowning out the Elon Twitter drama.

The price of TSLA is more or less arbitrary right now since the company has a negative P/E ratio and whatnot. So maybe 3.5% is the fair market value of Elon calling a man a pedo on Twitter these days. Or maybe the market has no short term concept of rationality.

I never thought I would say this but thank God that Trump and Putin thing was such a disaster today because it is really drowning out the Elon Twitter drama.

On the other hand there is very good news today on Model 3 production costs that Musk's problem has buried.

I don’t think logic is at play. It’s all frustration/anger. I understand how he would feel: was asked repeatedly for help, then finally did so, following instructions for exactly what was needed, and has, since, been relentlessly derided for doing so. He seriously just needs to stay away from Twitter right now.
I agree - the best way for Elon to deal with it is not to engage... otherwise he's just enabling all the haters

• Helpful
Reactions: Boomer19
Although the Thailand Tweets seem like a big deal here, I am fairly sure that the vast majority of people, aren't looking and frankly don't care.

Almost everyone I talked to in person, or interacted with on social media today, was preoccupied with President Trump's bizarre summit, and news conference, with Russian President Vladimir Putin. Mr. Trump's willingness to praise Mr. Putin, at the expense of publicly denigrating his own American law enforcement and intelligence officials, is consuming all the mainstream media oxygen.

Compared to these events, Elon's spat with a British diver is small potatoes in the mainstream media's pursuit of clicks. Trump as a topic rules over all for clicks and views.