Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been wondering. Is there anyone in history that was extremely powerful/famous that became eccentric and then backed to normal again?
(including any emperor if someone has the example)
Mad King George the III, who was likely bipolar (and/or had porphyria, which can affect behavior), pulled off some doozies, but his almost 60 year reign is now thought of as fairly successful overall (there's controversy, of course).

Perhaps you have some other examples in mind.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Is this really true? I actually hate the only 2 political parties here. I'd rather people be labeled per policy or their beliefs vs. party specific.

If you are a democrat/lib, you're expected to be pro-abortion, more social services, more sympathetic to immigration, pro-union, gun-control, etc. If you are a far right/republican, you have to be anti climate, anti EV, pro drilling, pro gun, pro-life, etc...

I would think it'd be better if people just ran on what they believed and had no political party. I've been all political parties actually throughout my life and don't find I want to ascribe to any one political party since that forces you to be put in a box since the party says you have to support this/that.

I concur fully. I would prefer that every issue be addressed and debated upon the issue's merritts/problems. Not on what other issues it is "bundled" with because it is part of a party "platform".

Alas, I'm not crazy enough to run for office.

In 2 years, people will argue how the success of twitter was due to engineers way before Elon took over and how he's not the founder of anything.
Nah I’ll argue that he was dumb to waste $44 billion and then rewrite all the code. :p

Seriously though if it IPOs for more than he paid for it in two years I’ll be very impressed given its current state.

One thing I’m wondering is if Twitter being written mostly in Scala is going to make it harder to find programmers? (I know very little about programming, I’m an EE)

The mission for Twitter is very simple to explain:-

1. Become the world's town square - a place for open debate and exchange of ideas.
  2. Become the people's bank - offering a better deal than regular banks
It may be suggested there is no overlap between these ideas, but a real time feed of banking transactions in your social media feed is very handy for early fraud detection.

These missions are different to Tesla / SpaceX. not everyone embraces the mission, but some do.

Not every employee at Tesla and SpaceX embraces the mission, but many do, in the end there is a degree of natural self-selection. And there is a degree of just turning up to do the job for money, the challenge / the resume which is also fine.

Missions are always a work in progress and subject to bumps in the road, and dumb mistakes.

In the case of Twitter, some employees may embrace one of the missions but not both, some may embrace both and some may embrace neither.

Last edited:
I have never worked for Elon, but I have worked for a similar company, and I have worked both in small and big business.

Working for a company with fewer than 20 employees is very similar to working for Elon.

If I list the good and the bad points of working for Elon, both lists are equally long, it isn't for everyone, but it does suit some people.

Some people climb mountains, most of us don't., Everyone is motivated by different challenges, different levels of risk and reward, and seeks different levels of comfort and safety.

The benefits of working for Elon only occur once Twitter was "right sized" and rebuilt with the right culture, Elon only knows one way, and half-pregnant doesn't work for anyone.

There is no point in staying in a job of it doesn't suit you and there is no point in having employees who don't buy into the way you want to run things.

HA HA HA HA HA. Seriously, you have HRC more "right" on the political spectrum than Trump?

View attachment 876951
Trump really isn’t that conservative in his policy views. I started filling it out as Trump and got stumped on the sixth question.

1669078983301.png

Every company Elon started is utter chaos in the beginning with a mountain of naysayers. Everyone in the world has an opinion and every little detail they can spot will be blown out of proportions. Yet the man is no one hit wonder.

In 2 years, people will argue how the success of twitter was due to engineers way before Elon took over and how he's not the founder of anything.
The difference is Elon didn't start this company nor was it in its infant stage. There is nothing particularly inspirational about Twitter that would motivate people as much as Tesla and SpaceX did.

At this juncture, Twitter is not unique either (there's plenty of social media companies out there), while there was something unique for Tesla (only EV company at the time aiming for long range, which is what attracted me to them) and SpaceX (Reusable rockets and Mars Colony).

Last edited:
It’s Monday @ 5:24pm PST.

Just had to make a quick status check…. Yes Twitter is still online.

SpaceTwitter still kicking butt with tweets like this one:

(Spoiler, Orion did indeed successfully send a signal when it emerged from behind the moon)

FinTwit Is still 2m+ people giving each other financial advice.
$AAPL still alive and ticking.
$TSLA… of course

Jon Gruber (aka DaringFireball) who more or less hates Musk and definitely hates Trump posts this.

Twitter… is still Twitter. And will be tomorrow…

The difference is Elon didn't start this company nor was it in its infant stage. There is nothing particularly inspirational about Twitter that would motivate people as much as Tesla and SpaceX did.

At this juncture, Twitter is not unique either (there's plenty of social media companies out there), while there was something unique for Tesla (only EV company at the time aiming for long range, which is what attracted me to them) and SpaceX (Reusable rockets and Mars Colony).

I explained the Twitter mission here:- Elon & Twitter

The benefits of working there or not working there here:- Elon & Twitter

When I was younger I would have been strongly attracted to working at Twitter, and would have paid an airfare to the US just to attend the job interview.
That has nothing to do with politics, I'm firmly left of centre.
Being the category of person who would loved to work for Elon, doesn't stop me seeing why others don't want to work for him.
These days I am too far past my prime to attempt to work for Elon.

A comment about the list of far right politicians who are being liked by voters who like Elon: if the interviewers had given the respondents names of moderate Republicans to choose from, they probably would have liked them too. So your conclusion that Elon is aligned with the far right may be flawed.
What evidence do you have that YouGov data is significantly biased? Your conclusion that the data presented by YouGov is misleading may be flawed.

I suggest you do at least some basic research about how YouGov operates before jumping to conclusions. Same to those who "loved" your post.

Status
Not open for further replies.