Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The mission for Twitter is very simple to explain:-

1. Become the world's town square - a place for open debate and exchange of ideas.
  2. Become the people's bank - offering a better deal than regular banks
I would add to this:

3. Become an unparalleled news source build on the foundation of citizen journalists​
4. Establish a place where creators can get paid for their content via advertising and direct payment from subscribers​

Down 7% today and almost 50% in the last two months. It would be great to have a CEO for Tesla.
To do what exactly? Make sure people are in place to continue expanding the business, continue increasing production and deliveries, to make GM remain industry high, make sure that Tesla continues to innovate at breakneck speed, to keep hounding the importance of efficiencies and driving down costs thus doing more with less while also recession proofing the company? Yeah, surprise: we got that CEO already.

Oh, you want a Mary Barra type CEO to cozy up with the power players of the world, lie through their teeth and smile nice for the camera, position the company in such a way that they neither innovate nor do anything themselves but rather send the work out to third parties, create massive debt, a weak financial sheet and all that good stuff so your portfolio has no chance in Hell to ever create a family fortune for your children and their children - that is if the world doesn’t implode first because that CEO doesn’t give a crap about your future and certainly not the future of your children.

🙄

Be careful what you wish for.

The difference is Elon didn't start this company nor was it in its infant stage. There is nothing particularly inspirational about Twitter that would motivate people as much as Tesla and SpaceX did.

At this juncture, Twitter is not unique either (there's plenty of social media companies out there), while there was something unique for Tesla (only EV company at the time aiming for long range, which is what attracted me to them) and SpaceX (Reusable rockets and Mars Colony).
It will be a place people want to work.

To do what exactly? Make sure people are in place to continue expanding the business, continue increasing production and deliveries, to make GM remain industry high, make sure that Tesla continues to innovate at breakneck speed, to keep hounding the importance of efficiencies and driving down costs thus doing more with less while also recession proofing the company? Yeah, surprise: we got that CEO already.

Oh, you want a Mary Barra type CEO to cozy up with the power players of the world, lie through their teeth and smile nice for the camera, position the company in such a way that they neither innovate nor do anything themselves but rather send the work out to third parties, create massive debt, a weak financial sheet and all that good stuff so your portfolio has no chance in Hell to ever create a family fortune for your children and their children - that is if the world doesn’t implode first because that CEO doesn’t give a crap about your future and certainly not the future of your children.

🙄

Be careful what you wish for.
I want a CEO who is talking to investors about the opportunity in front of Tesla and the plans to execute on that opportunity.

Like good CEOs do in multiple industries. To show investors that there is a leader focused on the company behind their investments.

No, not like your straw woman example of Mary. And no, not like Elon Woke of Twitter.

I want a CEO who is talking to investors about the opportunity in front of Tesla and the plans to execute on that opportunity.
Do you even pay attention to what Musk says?

Musk can be accused of tweeting a million stupid things. But this? Where have you been at every earnings call? Have you read any of his tweets other than what the liberal media reports to you?

FFS… he does this damned near non-stop. At least once a day he makes a comment or a Tweet along these lines.

Last edited:
None of the labels in question suggest that anyone is less than human. It's intellectually dishonest to imply as much.

Labels are simply clarification. What's far 'worse' than labels is dishonest argumentation; strawman attacks, character assassination, amplifying out of context facts to foster a narrative, cancellation of people, suppressing speech or 'wrongthink', etc. Not everyone is up on their logical fallacies and that is a disservice to any conversation.

I flatly reject being forced to comply with some unwritten 'word choice' directive. If you try to tell me how to speak or write, then you're trying to tell me how to think. What happened to diversity and inclusion? How about tolerance of viewpoint or a plurality of word-choices? I'm not here to inflame, but I'm not going to sugar-coat anything either.

Ostensibly our goals are the same. We want a healthy Elon (key man risk) and we want his companies to run with efficiency and precision such that investments grow over time, and the world becomes better for Elon (and his companies) having been here. To that end, we investors are part of the success story, as long as the story is being written. Continuing to pile on to Elon can have very serious consequences that I don't need to spell out, because all it takes is one nutter to act on the vitriol when they think they have the support of the mob crowd.

My goal here and in other fora is to clarify why I think Elon doesn't deserve to be made a pariah or the locus of partisan/ideological hate. When we speak of labels leading to hate, this is the VERY phenomenon happening to Elon which many of us find repugnant and objectionable, and nobody should have schadenfreude about the Tesla/SpaceX/Twitter CEO being the target of so many character (and company) assassins. The labels you might see from myself and others pales in comparison to the actual hate being directed at Elon in the real world, en masse. Some even use the word 'hate' literally, a word you don't see me using against any group of people.

The fact that this firestorm of hate directed at Elon is happening with such unmitigated fury becomes more data which informs our ideas about various demographics engaging in this unhealthy exercise. So, it's quite ironic to accuse a defender of Elon as using 'othering' language which leads to 'hate'.

Think about the repercussions of group attacks on a single person over time. Elon has a thick skin, but every human has their limits and again, it only takes one nutter acting on behalf of others to makes things so much worse.
Applying a label is often a power play to try to assert control over someone.
You want to label yourself, fine.
Others though might rightfully object to the label you try to box them in with.

Like good CEOs do in multiple industries. To show investors that there is a leader focused on the company behind their investments.

No, not like your straw woman example of Mary. And no, not like Elon Woke of Twitter.
OMG! He does that all the time and all people do is mock him.

He literally told the world Tesla is going to solve FSD, told the world cars would be appreciating assets (and they have been!), told the world Tesla would continue to grow at an average of 50% for the foreseeable future, told the world TeslaBot would revolutionize manufacturing after the fact Tesla has already revolutionized manufacturing, he’s told the world there’s a path to Tesla being the most valuable company in the world, he’s shown the world how to innovate so fast that a company doesn’t have to protect most of their IP, he’s shown the world that EVs and sustainable energy ARE not only possible but inevitable. The list is endless what he’s told and shown the business world.

How much more does an investor need to hear to get it!? Another battery day? Another AI day? Would that help? Another investors day!? Remember what the SP did after that event? 🙄

Oh, that’s right. We need him not to have an opinion different than our own. We need him to play nice all the time, especially with those who tell lies about him and his companies, with those who have tried to destroy his companies and continue. We need him to play nice with politicians who make false claims that he’s like all other billionaires and doesn’t pay his fair share of taxes.

Stop it.

Last edited:
See also:

How do you say you don’t have a clue what Musk says without saying you don’t have a clue what Musk says…

How do you say “The only Musk Tweets I read are on headlines on HuffPo” without saying the only Musk Tweets you read are on headlines on HuffPo.

Is HuffPo still around?

Last edited:
Reactions: ElectricIAC
It will be a place people want to work.
Not for the best people and not in the conditions Elon laid out in that email. For that there needs to be a motivating force beyond just being another job. That was something Tesla and SpaceX supplied in spades and was unique at the time. SpaceX still remains so, Tesla less so, but it's a hugely profitable company now. Twitter in its current stage is neither.

This is pretty good, in the sense that it is informative and largely factual.

What Elon Musk Is Doing to Twitter Is What He Did at Tesla and SpaceX

Firing people. Talking of bankruptcy. Telling workers to be “hard core.” Mr. Musk has repeatedly used those tactics at many of his companies.

Musk makes his own news. For the last four months is been about 10% Tesla and 90% something else.

What happened to Master Plan 3? Where is the Cybertruck update? What about his comment that’s it’s all about scaling this year?

Getting on a conference call every three months doesn’t cut it. Other CEOs constantly engage large investors.

Especially when the stock performance has been dismal.

Musk makes his own news. For the last four months is been about 10% Tesla and 90% something else.

What happened to Master Plan 3? Where is the Cybertruck update? What about his comment that’s it’s all about scaling this year?

Getting on a conference call every three months doesn’t cut it.
LOL. You mean like he did literally a week ago at the 2022 Indonesia B20 summit.

:rolleyes:

They updated us on the Cybertruck at the last earnings call… a month ago.

Other CEOs constantly engage large investors.
Investor relations engages large investors… that’s literally their job. It is also done quite effectively.

Getting on a conference call every three months doesn’t cut it. Other CEOs constantly engage large investors.

Especially when the stock performance has been dismal.
The point about Master Plan 3 is solid, I gave you a Like for that, but took it away when I saw your last sentence.

I honestly don't know who is selling, or why the are selling.

But buying and selling based on perceptions, impressions and emotions doesn't seem logical.

Is Elon giving some investors the chance to be irrational, and for some in the media and the market to spin the situation?

Yes, but he has done that before, and each time the fundamentals have eventually prevailed.

The point about Master Plan 3 is solid, I gave you a Like for that, but took it away when I saw your last sentence.

I honestly don't know who is selling, or why the are selling.

But buying and selling based on perceptions, impressions and emotions doesn't seem logical.

Is Elon giving some investors the chance to be irrational, and for some in the media and the market to spin the situation?

Yes, but he has done that before, and each time the fundamentals have eventually prevailed.

Sure, I believe the fundamentals will ultimately prevail as well. But investors who are investing in high PE companies are investing in more than just the fundamentals.

Elon has been in the news and tweeting basically non stop about Twitter. Why would anyone assume that he isn’t focused on Twitter?

Reactions: advocate8 and MC3OZ

1247E3A3-BDF5-4804-ACB6-67C3CB3EDEAD.gif

Sure, I believe the fundamentals will ultimately prevail as well. But investors who are investing in high PE companies are investing in more than just the fundamentals.

Elon has been in the news and tweeting basically non stop about Twitter. Why would anyone assume that he isn’t focused on Twitter?
I assume that if Elon urgently needs to do something important for Tesla, it will be done.

My hope is that Twitter is mostly going to be a matter of, putting the initial fires out, building the right team, setting the direction , and then Elon can step back and focus on other priorites.

Cybertruck, the Semi, FSD and 4680 are pretty much finalised for now as far as I can tell with little input for Elon needed.
All 4 factories, shipping and delivery logistics don't seem to need input from Elon.

Master Plan 3, the Robotaxi and the Roadster are the most obvious areas where Elon might be needed, and new factory announcements.

In particular, I hope factory announcements are not held up. But I put that in the category of important and urgent.

Not for the best people and not in the conditions Elon laid out in that email. For that there needs to be a motivating force beyond just being another job. That was something Tesla and SpaceX supplied in spades and was unique at the time. SpaceX still remains so, Tesla less so, but it's a hugely profitable company now. Twitter in its current stage is neither.
It’s not a place YOU would want to work. You do not represent all other people nor, I’m guessing, the best. I can think of lots of motivating reasons someone would want to work there.

The less so company named Tesla had 3,000,000 applicants in the year period proceeding that announcement earlier this year. Twitter can be even less so than Tesla and will have plenty of interested parties. You won’t even have to wait that long to see that since Elon has already opened up hiring of new personnel. And, I guarantee Twitter will become profitable quicker than most people think it’s possible.

They (40K votes who want to cancel him) can’t help it… the woke culture that has reared its ugly head these past years has now engulfed everything Musk… they want to cancel him because they can’t date him.
Anytime I see the word woke in print, I automatically replace it with altruism.

This is pretty good, in the sense that it is informative and largely factual.

What Elon Musk Is Doing to Twitter Is What He Did at Tesla and SpaceX

Firing people. Talking of bankruptcy. Telling workers to be “hard core.” Mr. Musk has repeatedly used those tactics at many of his companies.
I think this was a thoughtful article. Basically, said his MO at Twitter is the same as at SpaceX and Tesla. A lot of similarities.
He declined to comment.
Their concern? It isn't rocket science.

Can I get a good Christmas deal on a used Tesla from all the Apple employees about to sell their Teslas, or is that currently off limits from the wheezers who make those decisions at Apple?

This article claims Apple did not delete their tweets: Yes, Phil Schiller deleted his Twitter account; no, Apple has not removed its tweets

I did not know that. That changes my calculus. However, I thought they tweeted, so this is weird.

Last edited:
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Status
Not open for further replies.