Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But he's enforcing the rules inconsistently. The Former Guy incited violence in one of the worst ways possible and his account is reinstated. So I wonder if Kanye is going to be reinstated after some time too.
Elon is using a very narrow notion of inciting violence and isnt consistent because he is acting as the overlord instead of the diverse moderation board he said he was going to put together.

So Elon spend $44B to get rid of the woke, extreme left leaning, free speech censors in SF and is now basically finding that twitter content policies were actually put in place to get rid of nazi sympathizers, racists and incitements of violence. I wonder what he will find out next, maybe content restrictions for election misinformation / denialism are also needed? Or other countries have very different rules compared to the US? Or that it is important to protect public health?

Elon is using a very narrow notion of inciting violence and isnt consistent because he is acting as the overlord instead of the diverse moderation board he said he was going to put together.
That's the reason one of his defenders in Twitter quit. He mostly agrees with a lot of Elon's moves (linked up thread he wrote another article recently), but sees that Elon is going to run the company basically on his own whims, and didn't value others being the judge of moderation of the platform.

Just saw this today. Sorry if this had been posted. From Stephen Colbert’s show.

"Elon, Elon, Elon," tutted Colbert. "Free speech means the government can't tell you what to say. It doesn't mean people have to give you money no matter what you say. I know you're mad at them, but they don't hate free speech. They're mad at you because you freed hate speech."

Wait, that can’t be right…can it? Someone told me Twitter was dead under Elon Musk. 🤔
now good luck finding advertisers willing to pay in order to see their ad under a twitter video... two words: brand safety. With moderation being seemingly either relegated to AI - or - personally done by Elon... the chances might be high that the video content isn't a great environment for your ad.

He had always been clear that there are limits to free speech: breaking the law, inciting violence and spamming.

But he promised freedom of speech that did not violate the constitution. I happen to agree with getting rid of the racist violent aholes, but I don't believe you could make a federal case against Kanye.

I'm just laughing as Elon backs himself into what Twitter 1.0 was already doing. Content Moderation (sometimes, inconsistently)

Next up: Get Elon to review a certain orange-skinned celebrity on the topic of "incitement to violence" :)

Last edited:
Just saw this today. Sorry if this had been posted. From Stephen Colbert’s show.

"Elon, Elon, Elon," tutted Colbert. "Free speech means the government can't tell you what to say. It doesn't mean people have to give you money no matter what you say. I know you're mad at them, but they don't hate free speech. They're mad at you because you freed hate speech."

By this definition, pretty much all bibles are hate speech, worse than most 'hate speech'. 'Hate speech' is also a label.

But he's enforcing the rules inconsistently. The Former Guy incited violence in one of the worst ways possible and his account is reinstated. So I wonder if Kanye is going to be reinstated after some time too.

Don't forget Elon has promised blanket unbanning "amnesty" to everyone banned for bad behavior. Not sure if that will include Kanye.

Not if you are a journalist. Those things don't work for them (because of volume).

How does only accepting DMs from those you follow not prevent this? I use Twitter for business purposes and do this. You can also set it to filter spam or "low quality" messages if you don't want to shut off DMs completely. But if you're receiving frequent hate speech in the DMs it makes sense to only allow them from those you follow, surely?

Reactions: Krugerrand
Status
Not open for further replies.