Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some 625 of the top 1,000 Twitter advertisers, including major brands such as Coca-Cola, Unilever, Jeep, Wells Fargo and Merck, had pulled their ad dollars as of January, according to estimates from Pathmatics, based on data running through January 25.

Boycotts are for those who virtue signal but this honestly doesn’t really affect me anyway.

You wouldn’t catch me drinking coke, within 100 feet of a CDJR dealer and I really don’t have a need for a bank that opens accounts without my permission. 🙃

Who would have thought that making advertisers want nothing to do with your brand, when you're a social media company that depends on advertising revenue, was a bad idea?

The fundamental problem is a misunderstanding of where the political center is. Elon exhibited this misunderstanding brilliantly in a political cartoon he posted on Twitter last year.

The same misunderstanding has been expressed in this thread saying views here about Elon & Twitter that match the views of Dave Lee and Lex Fridman are from a group that is extremely left-leaning.

This one misunderstanding combined with an intransigent disregard of the mountains of evidence to the contrary explains everything else. For example, if Musk were correct that his political views, exemplified by such things as linking himself with Kanye and Trump; pushing an alt-right conspiracy theory about the husband of a prominent Democrat; or acting like a juvenile schoolyard bully (see how he treated Kara Swisher), were mainstream then it makes sense that the lack of advertisers must be due to pressure from radicals on the left and not his own off-putting behavior.

One of the things I most admire about Elon Musk is his ability and willingness to learn from his mistakes. While this is true in technical fields it has, unfortunately, not carried over to his idea of what is politically mainstream. He sees himself as standing up for the political center and waging the good fight against wokeness, leftist radicals, or whatever nom de jour he uses to dehumanize those he disagrees with.

This illustrates the dangers of having a reality based on emotionalism, name calling, bullying, and conspiracy theories. Once you fall down the rabbit hole, it's very hard to climb back out because all evidence to the contrary can be explained away by a vast other-wing conspiracy.

Yeah, there's been a lot of reported anecdotes like this over the years - Elon randomly firing people who are under pressure who give him an answer he doesn't like. Nothing new, but seems quite reactive and certainly getting more attention these days.
Musk is pissed at himself and lashing out at every employee he encounters. Musk suckered himself into buying Twitter @ $54 a share, how frickin' stupid can you be?

The fundamental problem is a misunderstanding of where the political center is. Elon exhibited this misunderstanding brilliantly in a political cartoon he posted on Twitter last year.

The same misunderstanding has been expressed in this thread saying views here about Elon & Twitter that match the views of Dave Lee and Lex Fridman are from a group that is extremely left-leaning.

This one misunderstanding combined with an intransigent disregard of the mountains of evidence to the contrary explains everything else. For example, if Musk were correct that his political views, exemplified by such things as linking himself with Kanye and Trump; pushing an alt-right conspiracy theory about the husband of a prominent Democrat; or acting like a juvenile schoolyard bully (see how he treated Kara Swisher), were mainstream then it makes sense that the lack of advertisers must be due to pressure from radicals on the left and not his own off-putting behavior.

One of the things I most admire about Elon Musk is his ability and willingness to learn from his mistakes. While this is true in technical fields it has, unfortunately, not carried over to his idea of what is politically mainstream. He sees himself as standing up for the political center and waging the good fight against wokeness, leftist radicals, or whatever nom de jour he uses to dehumanize those he disagrees with.

This illustrates the dangers of having a reality based on emotionalism, name calling, bullying, and conspiracy theories. Once you fall down the rabbit hole, it's very hard to climb back out because all evidence to the contrary can be explained away by a vast other-wing conspiracy.
The problem is pretty much that Elon's one real superpower is his ability to work from first principles. But when that fails, then he has to rely on other tools. There are no first principles when it comes to humans, law, social media, and politics. So he's actually pretty much helpless, because he's not very good with other tools.

Of course there are no first principles in software either, which explains his utter inability to predict how FSD is progressing.

If you are mature, you figure out your weaknesses and figure out how to surround yourself with people you can trust who are strong where you are weak. If you are immature, you surround yourself with people who flatter you, and you ignore the fact that they are generally incompetent. While Elon has had pretty decent luck with his software people (e.g. Karpathy), he's had no luck with his politics and social media people. He's surrounded himself with morally bankrupt fools like David Sacks.

And we thought Elon was getting a hard time from the media because oil companies etc.

Spare a thought for MrBeast:
  1. Stay in your lane TECHcrunch
  2. More than any other example, the use of an ism like "Ableist" here obfuscates shear cruelty
  3. Woke movement is largely correct but needs to slow down massively to achieve its goals as it is leaving the majority behind and appears to be anti the most good

Am I mistaken that those who complain about "MSM" seem to think about FoxNews as something other than "mainstream",
and that conspiracy theory bloggers are somehow above both?
They never present any evidence that the so-called MSM's reports are actually inaccurate, and that the conspiracy bloggers are accurate. And they also routinely use words like "woke" and "sleepy" to describe the same people in consecutive sentences and somehow manage to not see the contradiction.

Some 625 of the top 1,000 Twitter advertisers, including major brands such as Coca-Cola, Unilever, Jeep, Wells Fargo and Merck, had pulled their ad dollars as of January, according to estimates from Pathmatics, based on data running through January 25.

Boycotts are for those who virtue signal but this honestly doesn’t really affect me anyway.

You wouldn’t catch me drinking coke, within 100 feet of a CDJR dealer and I really don’t have a need for a bank that opens accounts without my permission. 🙃

Well the jokes on them. Because now Twitter is owned by Elon, the richest man on the planet who stated he was buying this not for the fortune or glory but to protect freedom of speech.

I'm certain that at this very moment he's craft a set of tweets which will publicly announce his plan to fund Twitter indefinitely and at a loss in order to defend democracy which will include banning all paid advertisements. They can still advertise but Twitter will no longer take their money.

He is truly doing the lord's work.

Well the jokes on them. Because now Twitter is owned by Elon, the richest man on the planet who stated he was buying this not for the fortune or glory but to protect freedom of speech.

I'm certain that at this very moment he's craft a set of tweets which will publicly announce his plan to fund Twitter indefinitely and at a loss in order to defend democracy which will include banning all paid advertisements. They can still advertise but Twitter will no longer take their money.

If he wanted to do something good for society and democracy, he would fire everyone and shut Twitter down for good.

Let’s not forget he decided to protect free speech by spending twice as much as he needed to. Truly, genius! /s

Only matched by his equally impressive oratory and dancing talents. /not s

Status
Not open for further replies.