Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unlimited PTO . . . how is that even viable? I mean, as a business owner who would ever allow something like that?

Twitter is the posterchild for how low can you go on running a company. 9x% fat.
Unlimited PTO is not uncommon in companies with large workforces in certain states, and there are some employer benefits. If the employee has no accrued PTO, then there's no liability on the books when they separate. The peer pressures involved also mean that many employees use less PTO than they would otherwise.

1668112584286.png

Lend first...ask questions later :)

Posted four days ago:
One of the big lessons I learned from the horrific French Revolution is that when people act on "let's tear it all down because things can't get any worse" then things get much worse. This was true with Elon trying to tear down and rebuild Twitter. it is also true now. The current situation could get So. Much. Worse.
I hope I'm wrong but at this point the only question now seems to be how soon will Elon bail out and how many tens of billions of dollars will he lose. Ten billion here, ten billion there, pretty soon you're talking about real money.

Twitter wanted to sell (and sued Musk to ensure he bought) so business-wise this wasn't a hostile takeover but in terms of pissing people off it sure was. The hostile environment he created at Twitter is almost the polar opposite of the good will he created at his start ups (Tesla, SpaceX, etc). This story is now taking on the look of a Greek tragedy with hubris being the main theme.

Posted four days ago:

I hope I'm wrong but at this point the only question now seems to be how soon will Elon bail out and how many tens of billions of dollars will he lose. Ten billion here, ten billion there, pretty soon you're talking about real money.

Twitter wanted to sell (and sued Musk to ensure he bought) so business-wise this wasn't a hostile takeover but in terms of pissing people off it sure was. The hostile environment he created at Twitter is almost the polar opposite of the good will he created at his start ups (Tesla, SpaceX, etc). This story is now taking on the look of a Greek tragedy with hubris being the main theme.
He told Twitter staff today his TSLA sales Friday and this week were to save Twitter. The insinuation there is he’s having to pump another $4 billion into the deal. So one way to look at it is Twitter cost not $44 billion but $48 billion. So far.
Meanwhile TSLA shareholders taking it on the chin.

He told Twitter staff today his TSLA sales Friday and this week were to save Twitter. The insinuation there is he’s having to pump another $4 billion into the deal. So one way to look at it is Twitter cost not $44 billion but $48 billion. So far.

Yeah, $4B should give him a year or two to figure out how to not pick fights with advertisers and make blue-check-marks work longer than a couple hours before they have to be turned off again.

I say that both with some bitter sarcasm, but also with a note of reality that I've been pointing to all along. Properly moderating a decent and well attending "Town Square" on a global scale is HARD - free speech absolutism is moronically stupid as a way to do it, and accomplishing it will involve years of trial and error and deep insight the likes of which were in the heads of people Ellon just fired because he thinks his own personal spin on US politics knows better.

He may need a lot of that $4B to buy time to get it wrong enough times to gradually back himself into what the experts he fired could have simply told him up front.

Unlimited PTO . . . how is that even viable? I mean, as a business owner who would ever allow something like that?

Twitter is the posterchild for how low can you go on running a company. 9x% fat.
My son has never worked for a company that had specific amount of PTO. He worked at Capital One (you know the big bank) and another financial company. It is becoming more and more common.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC

MSM will be ready with their "Tesla has now become the default piggy bank for Twitter funding" headlines

• Informative
The one guy Elon seemed to trust has apparently resigned. This story just gets interesting, probably means Elon has to spend more time at twitter.

lol. that Yoel Roth who Elon frantically re-tweeted and had to go out there telling that all moderation of harmful content is working jjjjuuuuust fine...

advertisers won't feel better now at all

I think the $4B was part of the $44B price tag. It went to paying off the bridge loans. It sure isn't money he socked away for future operating expenses. Yes, it will help him keep Twitter by reducing the $1B/yr interest he has to pay. But, according to Elon, he still needs Twitter to start generating more income to avoid going into casters up mode. I don't think he has a cushion of cash somewhere to fund operating Twitter at a loss.

Reactions: advocate8
My son has never worked for a company that had specific amount of PTO. He worked at Capital One (you know the big bank) and another financial company. It is becoming more and more common.

That's great, good for him.

The underlying problem with Twitter, in this SPECIFIC instance, is Twitter was overstaffed by all objective measures, and that leads to a corporate culture of underwork. The "unlimited PTO" contributes to that, because there is no culture like previously mentioned in today in this thread by others where people feel "guilty" letting their co-workers shoulder the burden, because the burden is so light.

With the cuts (and I would bet there are going to be more), there is burden.

That's great, good for him.

The underlying problem with Twitter, in this SPECIFIC instance, is Twitter was overstaffed by all objective measures, and that leads to a corporate culture of underwork. The "unlimited PTO" contributes to that, because there is no culture like previously mentioned in today in this thread by others where people feel "guilty" letting their co-workers shoulder the burden, because the burden is so light.

With the cuts (and I would bet there are going to be more), there is burden.
Adapt or be promoted to customer.

Status
Not open for further replies.