Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon's Thanksgiving gift: Beta 5 coming in a few days

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know about you all but the most fascinating thing about these latest videos for me is how human like the driving is. For better and for worse the good decisions and the bad ones are very much what you see every day. To me this really does seem like AI and the child is being trained to drive just like a human. Seems eerie to me.

Starting at 15:56 is a prime example of how assertive and human-like this newest version is. Perfectly paced unprotected left turn and then going around the park car with no hesitation, with perfect speed control:

Based on the many comments that beta 5 is human-like, I'll conclude that it looks like Tesla switched to imitation learning for part of the driving policy for beta 5. In imitation learning Tesla knows what to do from following previous driver behavior.
First google link on imitation learning: A brief overview of Imitation Learning
That looks like an interesting article. While I know I can search for one is there a particular video on this subject that you would recommend?

Elon tweeted that a wider beta testing of FSD Beta could happen in 2 weeks:

kjiWtdI.png

Tesla Full Self-Driving Beta wider release coming in just a few weeks, it's both scary and exciting - Electrek

Reactions: Microterf
Green also said that Tesla uses HD maps to drive the car.
HD maps means different things to different people. I wouldn't get upset about use of that term. I know what Green means and sounds good to me. It is not the same as Waymo centimeter accurate 3d maps. There are a lot of advantages to accurate detailed maps, like knowing a sharp turn is coming and slowing down and possibly adjusting the suspension for body roll. Tesla's use of path projection based on leaned driver inputs is a way of encoding a map.

HD maps means different things to different people. I wouldn't get upset about use of that term. I know what Green means and sounds good to me. It is not the same as Waymo centimeter accurate 3d maps. There are a lot of advantages to accurate detailed maps, like knowing a sharp turn is coming and slowing down and possibly adjusting the suspension for body roll. Tesla's use of path projection based on leaned driver inputs is a way of encoding a map.
This is just BS that people who want to ignore the fact that Karpathy directly addresses it in his presentations (both February and June 2020 presentations)
upload_2020-11-30_11-2-12.png

Some people use the term "felt" as a euphemism. That's why I said he hit the curb! Because he touches/hits/feels/comes in contact with the curb in video. Do we need to have another argument about semantics?
Maybe we need to do a poll. :p
The most common usage of "felt too close" is what is sounds like - it was too close for comfort. No need to assume the worst.

If I say I disengaged because "there were a lot of pedestrians" - it doesn't mean the car ran over a few of them !

The most common usage of "felt too close" is what is sounds like - it was too close for comfort. No need to assume the worst.

If I say I disengaged because "there were a lot of pedestrians" - it doesn't mean the car ran over a few of them !
True, but I fully expect when Whole Mars Catalog crashes his car he'll say it "felt like I hit something", which will be correct!
Anyway you can clearly see the car hits something when watching the video. Maybe you all don't have 1080p :p

For example he said here it "felt too close" when you can clearly see the issue is that it's steering directly in to a parked car. It's just the way he uses the English language.
Screen Shot 2020-11-07 at 7.16.44 PM.png

Last edited: