Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Email update from Tesla March 2017

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Model S and Model 3
From the beginning, our goal at Tesla has been to produce cars without compromise.
Later this year, we will introduce Model 3 – a smaller, simpler and more affordable version of our flagship: Model S. With more range, more acceleration, more power, more interior space and more customization choices, Model S will continue to feature the very best in Tesla technology.

Once again what we see here fromTesla is an. Attempt to temper expectations and set the hierarchy of the tesla models. S, X with 3 at the bottom end.
S will always be faster offer longer range and better tech.

So my questions is , What tech will be dropped/missing ?

Start listing features the S has and highlight the ones that the 3 will not.

I'll start , air suspension, power trunk opener , biodefense mode. Summon?

Last edited:

Model S and Model 3
From the beginning, our goal at Tesla has been to produce cars without compromise.
Later this year, we will introduce Model 3 – a smaller, simpler and more affordable version of our flagship: Model S. With more range, more acceleration, more power, more interior space and more customization choices, Model S will continue to feature the very best in Tesla technology.
They are driving this message hard to sell Model S right now. Unfortunately, people like me will never be able to afford the performance Model S :( no matter how much advertising. All it's doing is making me feel bad about my reservation.

The logical side of me says:
  • You don't need as much power for accelerating a lighter car,
  • I don't need all the customization choices, at least the basics on cars in that price range should be offered one would hope.
  • I don't need as much interior space, Model 3 is supposed to have more than any other car that size.
  • As far as acceleration, if the eventual performance model is a few tenths of a second slower than the P100D then I guess I don't really care. I'd still like it faster than a hellcat...

I don't think he ever said "Hey this is going to be a simpler car!" when they wanted reservations for the 3.
Yeah, they said it would be "the best car you can buy for 35k". I am really curious to see how it'll be better than the 3-series based on recent news.

Model S and Model 3

Once again what we see here fromTesla is an. Attempt to temper expectations and set the hierarchy of the tesla models. S, X with 3 at the bottom end.
S will always be faster offer longer range and better tech.

So my questions is , What tech will be dropped/missing ?

Start listing features the S has and highlight the ones that the 3 will not.

I'll start , air suspension, power trunk opener , biodefense mode. Summon?
It will have air suspension if Elon is to be trusted (who knows these days?) and summon is part of Autopilot, so one can assume that'll be included too.

Stuff that won't be on the 3:

• luxury
  • driver feedback information in a good spot
  • hatch and associated features
  • auto presenting door handles
  • bio defense
  • adaptive headlights
  • alcantara
  • premium stuff like ambient lights and lighted door handles
  • rear facing seats
  • cold weather package will be crippled
  • AWD (lol)
  • Performance (lmao)
  • Ludicrous (rofl)
  • Panoramic roof? Maybe just metal and glass?
  • Free nav for x years (gotta pay right out of the box after maybe several months to year)
  • auto dimming mirrors (as an option?)
  • fewer seat controls and no memory? Wouldn't be surprised if you had to pay extra for electric controls.
  • Sound upgrade?
Probably way more. I didn't list anything computer or software-based because I want to have the faith that Tesla won't cripple one of the core features of a Tesla car. I shudder to think the app will be limited in features or that keyless entry/start will not be included. But Elon does seem set on making this car inferior in every single way so I wouldn't put it past him.

When Tesla announces the Model 3 range and performance numbers, there will be tons of articles comparing the Model 3 75D to the Model S 75D. Tesla doesn't want this because the Model 3 75D will be superior to the Model S 75D in terms of range and performance. Therefore eventually they will be forced to discontinue the Model S 75D because sales will drop to almost zero.

In fact, I'm expecting the Model 3 75D to have more range than the Model S 90D and better performance than the Model S 75D. In addition, the Model 3 75D will have 17% shorter supercharge sessions than the Model S 75D when supercharging to the same rated miles. For example, supercharging from 30 to 250 rated miles. Also, Model 3 will cost 17% less to charge than the Model S. Finally, the Model 3 will have the newer 2170 cells with improved chemistry while the Model S and X will continue for a while with the 18650 cells that have the old chemistry. Therefore 2017 Model 3 cars might support Supercharger V3 with higher power rates while the 2017 Model S and X won't.

Is the question what will or won't be in the base Model 3, or what will or won't be available even as options in the Model 3?

In the Base Model 3, compared with a base Model S 60, I'm guessing:
1. No instrument panel.
2. Manual door handles.
3. No folding side-view mirrors (Don't know if that's standard on a Model S)
4. No auto-trunk lid lift.
5. Minimal courtesy lighting
6. Lower quality interior materials
7. Lower power motor
8. Smaller battery
9. LTE and Nav - Free for 6 months
10. Safety features (EAB, Lane departure/blind spot warnings) standard

As far as options, I'm guessing:
1. Bioweapon defense - Not Available (No room up front)
2. AWD - Available in 6-9 months
3. Performance - Available in 6-9 months
4. Ludicrous - Available in 6-9 months
5. Premium interior - available
6. Pano roof - available in 6-9 months
7. Glass roof - available
8. EAP - Available
9. FSD - Available "real soon now"
10. Cold Weather Package - Available, will include heat pump
11. Rear facing seats - Not available
12. Air Suspension - Available in 6-9 months
13. Sound upgrade - Available

No way Bioweapon defense is NOT available as an option
Elon sees things like that as health and safety related.

I think the 3 is going to be what we all thought it was a year ago: smaller, slightly less range and speed to the Model S. I will not have as many luxury bells and whistles.
I top of the line 3 will still be better than a base S if you don't mind the smaller size.

• Helpful
Reactions: njxman
No way Bioweapon defense is NOT available as an option
Elon sees things like that as health and safety related.

I agree, believe it or not, the idea of getting bioweapon defense mode was one of my main driving factors to reserving a Model 3.

Also, to set itself apart from Chinese competition in the Chinese market, a car that can help clean even it's environment should be a pretty good selling point.

Honestly I can understand why they are intentionally putting some distance between S and 3. I think the real rubber will meet the road when we see what options are available for dual motor and Performance add-ons. While I know a lot of folks thought 3 = Shrunken S meant they'd get exactly an S for 35k, if one looks at what you get from comparable premium brands for 35k, they will be spot on. The comparable Audi A4 may have standard leather seats, but no nav, same with a BMW 320i. You can't even get a stripper C-class for less than 40k, even with their MB-tex seat material and no nav. For me, someone who was considering downsizing from his p90DL once the lease is up, I'll be looking at what they do for the P model with interest. If they can match the performance of their contemporaries (ATS-V, C63 AMG, M3), that's still a good enough gap from a Model S P model but something that will make more profit on model 3's. They need to hurry up with some actual news, though, because emails like this aren't helpful in quieting concerns.

Reactions: sitter_k
I have a feeling all this Model 3 "anti-selling" by Elon and Tesla will stop once the Design Studio opens and the various options and prices are known. By then, people will have all the facts and figures and will be able to do like-for-like comparisons to determine if the 3 or S (or some other car or no car) is the right car for them at the price they're willing to pay. Until then, Tesla is trying to better define where the Model 3 fits in their product line and temper some of the enthusiasm that has been fueled by rumor and speculation over the past year for a "unicorn" car.

Reactions: ohmman and Bokonon