Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Emergency vehicle siren

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am using FSD beta 10.10.2. I was the lead car stopped at a signal in heavy traffic. A fire truck with siren wailing and horn blaring came in the same direction and drove around the stopped cars on the left then then made a right turn at the intersection. The light turned green and FSD decided it was time to go into the intersection. I intervened and cancelled FSD.

I was shocked that the car did not take into account the emergency vehicle. If I had not stopped the car it was preparing to head right in front of the firetruck in the intersection. Does FSD have algorithms to handle for sirens, such as pulling over to the side of the road and stopping at a green light at an intersection if pulling over is not possible?

... Does FSD have algorithms to handle for sirens, such as pulling over to the side of the road and stopping at a green light at an intersection if pulling over is not possible?
No, that is why you are in control. Beta needs to "learn" the basics of driving before tackling more complicated things like you describe can be implemented. Also can't recognize school buses, railroad crossings, closed roads, detour signs, potholes, (non red) bollards, etc. The edge case list is in nearly ∞.

Also can't recognize school buses, railroad crossings

I get some of these edge cases but school buses and railroad crossings? Even Waze knows where the railroad crossings are located and it's not like they move around much.

School buses have large red flashing lights so I'm a little surprised by that one too since it's fairly decent at seeing red lights.

Elon Musk has mentioned FSD beta will eventually listen for sirens, but I’m unsure why this is the thing you’re “shocked” FSD beta can’t do yet. Considering how it’s not available for public release & how many other situations one has to disengage FSD beta, emergency vehicle sirens isn’t expected to be that high on the list of more frequent edge cases to tackle. It would be interesting at what point (i.e. - what FSD beta can or can’t handle yet) you’d determine it’s ready for public release.