Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Energy Cost in UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Energy cost from ShellEnergy is going to increased by the 1st April. I am now looking forward to get Solar Panel + Powerwall battery.
Martin Louis (https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/) said that the Energy rate is going to increase also at a similar rate in October.
My Rate for ShellEnergy:
Now
: 20.140p/kWh and 24.38p/day (+39%) => £1850/year
By the 1st April: 28.020p/kWh and 42.24p/day (+73%) => £2290/year (+24%)
What are the energy rate (on the market) when you've got an EV for the main suppliers like ShellEnergy, Octopus, EDF, Etc.?

Unless I’m missing something, the price of electric isn’t solely tied to the gas price, but is significantly affected by it owing to the huge increases in gas price?

The cheaper generation from other sources is still happening, but there isn’t enough to offset the gas rises? At least that’s what I thought? Or is there some else going on that I don’t currently understand?

This is a direct quote from Greg, the CEO at Octopus:
"Pps. If you’re wondering why renewable energy is more expensive during a gas crisis, it’s because electricity generators usually have contracts which tie their price to the “market”, which is usually set by gas. This is outdated, and we’d love to see it change, but it’s just how the UK system is set up.".

Ie. the price of electricity is set by the gas price, so yes gas is significantly affecting the market price.. but because of the flawed way we price -everything- at that price, it's broken.

Upvote 0
Hi, struggling with all this energy supplier stuff. MYLR due April, currently with EON Next and they are not selling their current EV product. I emailed Octopus and the sent me a link to sign up that just sent back to the screen saying not to switch.

Any advice on what to do would be greatly recieved.

Very new to this stuff......

Upvote 0
Hi, struggling with all this energy supplier stuff. MYLR due April, currently with EON Next and they are not selling their current EV product. I emailed Octopus and the sent me a link to sign up that just sent back to the screen saying not to switch.

Most suppliers are actively trying to avoid new customers as many are running at a loss. You could try talking to Octopus 🐙 Customer Service but they’ll probably try to fob you off.
This is just a reflection of the current market.

Upvote 0

The current energy prices are very high, so most companies are advising you not to switch as the capped standard price is lower than most fixed rates at the moment.
Are you on a fixed contract just now or the standard rate? If the standard then this is capped and most of the other companies standard rates will be the same.
If you are able to shift a chunk of your energy use into the off peak hours then it may be worthwhile moving onto one of those deals, but be aware of the cost of non-off peak energy. I'm sure I read a page on Octopus that said if you really wanted to switch to them, you could email someone. I'll dig it out if you can't find it.
Have a look at the Chargeplace Scotland chargers as some chargers are still free. Even those that aren't can sometimes be cheaper than charging at home. I've had my car for over a year and have charged briefly at home just once.

Upvote 0
The current energy prices are very high, so most companies are advising you not to switch as the capped standard price is lower than most fixed rates at the moment.
Are you on a fixed contract just now or the standard rate? If the standard then this is capped and most of the other companies standard rates will be the same.
If you are able to shift a chunk of your energy use into the off peak hours then it may be worthwhile moving onto one of those deals, but be aware of the cost of non-off peak energy. I'm sure I read a page on Octopus that said if you really wanted to switch to them, you could email someone. I'll dig it out if you can't find it.
Have a look at the Chargeplace Scotland chargers as some chargers are still free. Even those that aren't can sometimes be cheaper than charging at home. I've had my car for over a year and have charged briefly at home just once.
Thanks so much, this helps!

Upvote 0
Why are you stuck with EDF?
Automatically put with EDF when symbio went bust and been unable to switch. It now looks like I can, although most of RS are not very good.
Ironically enough, EDF now sending me emails to say I qualify for their EV offers but when I click it it says I don't qualify.. Utter garbage.

I understand rates are going through roof.. However I just want a good night. Rate for the motor

Upvote 0
Automatically put with EDF when symbio went bust and been unable to switch. It now looks like I can, although most of RS are not very good.
Ironically enough, EDF now sending me emails to say I qualify for their EV offers but when I click it it says I don't qualify.. Utter garbage.

I understand rates are going through roof.. However I just want a good night. Rate for the motor
I was moved to EDF after GNE went bust, but I stayed with EDF only until the GNE rates ended; EDF admin was awful; Octopus admin is far better, and teh rates are far better; I'll stay with them even if they become slightly dearer as customer service is fair..

Upvote 0

Switch to Go then, they are accepting people. My switch went through today.

Upvote 0