Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced Autopilot and Full Self driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bhzmark

Jul 21, 2013
upload_2016-10-19_20-42-51.png

upload_2016-10-19_20-43-27.png

This part is particularly of interest: "Please note also that using a self-driving Tesla for car sharing and ride hailign for friends and family is fine, but doing so for revenue purposes will only be permissible on the Tesla Network, details of which will be released next year."

AP for $5000 seems like an obvious upgrade choice. FSD capability activates 4 additional cameras for another $3000. FSD is not legal in many places as far as I know. So, my question is, does EAP take advantage of the additional active cameras if I pay extra for FSD. Will I get any benefit now, before self driving is legally allowed. Will EAP work better?

Other than what Tesla has published on the website, we're all just guessing on EAP/FSD details.

Looking into my crystal ball:

There will be one AP software suite using the AP 2.0 hardware.

For customers purchasing EAP only, the AP software will only use data from 4 of the cameras, which will limit the driving conditions under which the car can operate safely. And I'm guessing that Tesla may geofence in the future to disable EAP in areas where it can't safely operate using only 4 cameras.

For customers purchase EAP and FSD, the AP software will eventually use data from all 8 cameras. That should allow AP to operate safely under most driving conditions.

And when Tesla gets approval to allow AP to operate without driver monitoring (i.e. - Full Self Driving), the software nag will be disabled, and drivers won't be required to maintain contact with the steering wheel.

Even if FSD doesn't get approved, I'm expecting that FSD owners will get better EAP, when the software starts using all of the cameras.

AP for $5000 seems like an obvious upgrade choice. FSD capability activates 4 additional cameras for another $3000. FSD is not legal in many places as far as I know. So, my question is, does EAP take advantage of the additional active cameras if I pay extra for FSD. Will I get any benefit now, before self driving is legally allowed. Will EAP work better?
The best answer, today, is no. I've read that EAP and FSD are under different teams at Tesla and they don't necessarily share the same codebase. I would not expect EAP to take advantage of the additional sensors - those are there for FSD.

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark