Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced Autopilot (EAP)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Its not really "EAP" is it? you dont get "NOA" with "EAP", right?...

Navigate on Autopilot (NoA) was and now is part of the Enhanced Autopilot (EAP) package.

EAP users also retrospectively got smart summon, so if its the old EAP package resurrected, then it should include smart summon.

Smart summon was EAP's swansong. So it would be interesting to see if this changes things.

Well,i bit the bullet and upgraded last night before of a 7hr drive that I have to do today to get home from Scotland. I'll trial it and at the end of the day I'll make a decision. As I can request a refund until tomorrow night. That's nice!
I'll let you know how it's going. So far I'm disappointed about the "smart" Summon, the fact that a key must be left in the car, that it's range is sooo small in UK, that in 50% of attempts it just did not want to work (with a message saying its unavailable). And when it did started, it was so slow and undecisive.. Not really a party trick I want to share yet!
The "dumb" one seemed nice though, I can see its benefits

Just a heads up, according to Reddit it seems this offer is time limited, at least in the States:

View attachment 590130

https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotors/comments/iw4ghf/upgrade_to_enhanced_autopilot_before_september_30/

So, maybe an end of quarter cash grab?
It's without doubt an end of quarter cash grab, that Reddit post doesn't actually say it won't be available after the end of the month, it could be removed, go up in price or stay the same. Theoretically it could go down in price, but I highly doubt that o_O

Well,i bit the bullet and upgraded last night before of a 7hr drive that I have to do today to get home from Scotland. I'll trial it and at the end of the day I'll make a decision. As I can request a refund until tomorrow night. That's nice!
I'll let you know how it's going. So far I'm disappointed about the "smart" Summon, the fact that a key must be left in the car, that it's range is sooo small in UK, that in 50% of attempts it just did not want to work (with a message saying its unavailable). And when it did started, it was so slow and undecisive.. Not really a party trick I want to share yet!
The "dumb" one seemed nice though, I can see its benefits

Good idea. NoA is the only bit I have used and imho, the major feature. Auto park is too limited (its based on ultrasonics so needs cars/objects close by to get its position) and I've never turned on summon let alone tried smart summon - drive is on a slope so not really wanting to see the car careering backwards down the hill!

Last edited:
Reactions: AnthonyLR
Special offer on “old software” until “new software” starts people getting excited at a higher price .... ?

Oldest sales trick in the book maybe.
Rewrite due to start hitting beta in a month ties in with this. I think enhanced AP will stick around at about this price, but FSD will accelerate in price (as always promised) with the rewrite and new features will only be added to that.

Enhanced AP will be treated as feature complete - those with it will get capability enhancements as they come to the base (for better at doing what it does), but no new features. It will recognise everything added to FSD and display it, but not act on it, like traffic lights are just now.

FSD will get new features as they can add them (roundabouts? Acting on better road recognition of signs and lines? In lane positioning? All the stuff needed for town driving), but the upgrade will get more expensive as each feature is added.

I'm not bothered by the town driving stuff, even if it was perfect I'm happy doing my own driving in town. I am sorely tempted by the enhanced AP tho. Not having to disengage and re-engage AP on the motorway would be awesome. Buuut, not exactly doing lots of miles just now :-(

Reactions: Mark-R
It would be far better is Tesla offered a 7-30 day trial, so you could actually test the features before making such a large commitment.

From everything I’ve read online, their refund process is an absolute nightmare & takes ages to process.
Trials and rentals seems a real missed opportunity tbh. Way to upsell, show off features and create profit for some admin cost only.

Reactions: pow216 and JS77
It would be far better is Tesla offered a 7-30 day trial, so you could actually test the features before making such a large commitment.

From everything I’ve read online, their refund process is an absolute nightmare & takes ages to process.
I read somewhere (can't remember lol) about an idea someone had that made perfect sense to me. Offer it free for 6 months, this would allow Tesla to gather much more data from FSD use than they currently get. I'm not sure the percentage of FSD take up but I'd guess it's not that high. This would enable Tesla to refine FSD much quicker based on the miles driven, also it would get more people hooked in to FSD and they'd find it much harder to live without it once the 6 months were up. I also think the purchasing of FSD should be linked to the account/owner so that if they trade up to a newer model they still have it in the new car, plus it would make it much more likely that families would make their second/subsequent cars Tesla. I know if they offered this I would be purchasing FSD right now, as it is I won't be unless something drastic changes.

Reactions: M3-Newbie
The flip side is - if people got to see what you get for FSD, and what actually works, hardly anyone would pay for it.

I'm mostly at peace with buying it, though I could never justify it as a rational decision. It was more a "I want the latest updates first" thing, and a feeling that I wanted every autonomous feature that was available.

Summon - at least in the UK - is only really useful to move the car backwards and forwards, for whatever reason. Smart Summon & "Come to Me" would theoretically be interesting, but you have to be within touching distance of the car for any kind of Summon feature to work at all. As far as I know Tesla closed the loophole about leaving a phone key in the car to allow you to summon from greater distances, and it was a pretty big security hole in any event. I can't overstate just how crippled Summon is in the UK/EU due to the need to be in low power Bluetooth range with your phone. The US has no such restriction, and the car will drive itself for up to 200 metres.

Autopark, as said above, currently relies on ultrasonics. I'd like to think that at some point in the future it would rely on cameras. Currently, it will park between two cars, either parallel or in a parking space, but it will not just park in a random space somewhere. You could argue that you ought not need it to, though.

NoA and Auto Lane Change works well though, in my limited experience at least. I could see how having to re-enable Autosteer after every lane change would grate very quickly. The value of those two things, relative to the cost of the option, really come down to what proportion of driving you do on motorways, etc.

I would caveat all of the above by saying that if Elon's promised AP rewrite really is as impressive as he makes it sound, and is on a Q4 2020 timeline - and that's a massive IF, in both the States and particularly over here - it could make FSD much more valuable. As it is, you get almost everything worthwhile in the base car, and 95% of the functional stuff in that EAP option upgrade.

I would personally be thinking quite hard about paying for that option if there is a chance Tesla take it away or increase the price of it at the end of the month, but then I guess that's why they've done it his way... FOMO.

Reactions: DrivenRay
I've never understood Teslas commercial approach to FSD/EAP.... make the purchase fixed to your Tesla account, not the car!

That way, it encourages owners to upgrade to another Tesla in the future as they have FSD "on their account", but it also means Tesla can earn from when the next owner decides to purchase the upgrade (there will be so many M3s on the used car market in the future, and Tesla won't make anything from them, so this would be a great way to always have potential income from 2nd/3rd/4th owners of used Teslas)

I'm sure they must have ran some numbers at some point and decided against this approach, but it just seems like the obvious approach to me.

Currently paying for FSD also entitles you to an upgrade to HW3.0. I think UK cars all have this already, but people in the States have been getting this (slowly). If it was tied to the account it could mean that you'd be able to get hardware upgrade in perpetuity.

I agree though, FSD would be much more palatable if it was bound to the account rather than the car.

Currently paying for FSD also entitles you to an upgrade to HW3.0. I think UK cars all have this already, but people in the States have been getting this (slowly). If it was tied to the account it could mean that you'd be able to get hardware upgrade in perpetuity.

I agree though, FSD would be much more palatable if it was bound to the account rather than the car.
That's a good point, but they could say that you are only entitled to 1 FOC HW upgrade per account?

So decided to look at the upgrade menu after reading this thread. 10 mins later I get an email from Tesla congratulating me on my butt purchase of £6,900 FSD :eek:. Thank god for the refund button but that takes 5 days

I believe someone else did much the same recently, accidentally made a purchase when just looking. As @VanillaAir_UK rightly says, there really should be some sort of second step to confirm before just accepting the purchase, given that it seems relatively easy to purchase in error.

I've never understood Teslas commercial approach to FSD/EAP.... make the purchase fixed to your Tesla account, not the car!

I Think at this point in time this is a small fish to fry for them. Once Tesla to Tesla sales increase they might pull that demand lever.

I just pulled the trigger on this, locks in 90% of the FSD functionality as it is and I can use it for a while while the other stuff is developed. I don't think they will raise the price for another year for the full thing.