Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced Autopilot (EAP)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even if my inner geek would have considered the current EAP option, this thread suggests further opportunities for potential driving embarrassment and stress.

....for now I think I'll stick with the relaxing experience of driving the car myself, with occasional breaks for higher tension drives on Autopilot.

So, what did you think? Worth it for the ££££?

Umm...no, not yet I’m affraid. And not for £3600. I’ve requested a refund.

In one phrase, the NoAA only brings a smoother lane change with less effort to make, when it works. It’s not “full auto pilot”, it still requires your absolute full attention and concentration in avoiding cars around you (typically moving away from slower lanes then coming back when they’re free). So in it’s current state (limited by regulations, but also .. just not yet 100% there, where we all want it to be), I don’t believe it is worth the money.
I’d rather wait a bit more and pay the full sum (without having to upgrade in steps, losing money) - when the full product is ready. I know I may still lose money, as the price keeps increasing. But then again, maybe it will never happen... I just don’t want to sink money into it now, especially because it’s not transferrable.

Last edited:
I would upgrade when these conditions are met:
- The car can truly navigate from on-ramp to off-ramp without having to wait for my confirmation to change the lanes
- It can detect slower moving cars accurately (let’s say 90%, not 50% as now), and with more insight (I can see it’s coming way before the car will suggest it at the moment. Especially for cars that are ahead of the car in front)
- It can perform the lane change to get away from a slow lane without asking and without slowing down (Without the hesitation and the fuss about it)
- It is allowed by law to drive at level 4 autonomy (i.e. I can do something else rather than monitoring and assisting. Play a game; read; watch a movie; but be prepared to take control within, let’s say, 10 seconds from the alert).

It’s far from that. But I have hope. Let’s see what the future brings.

Reactions: MrBadger
So driving again today, with keeping handons on the wheel a bit more firmly eliminated the slow lane change issue. It's still docile, but a lot more functional.

Also, might be placebo effect or just the software update, but it seems to be keeping speed and distance better.

Reactions: MrBadger
Hey guys, trying to find a clear answer from existing threads but the more I read the more I get confused.

I've always had NoA with auto lane change, Summon, Autopark as my S75D has 'highway autopilot' listed as an included package.

So my question is, what am I missing from Enhanced Autopilot, as far as I can tell it's the same thing unless I'm missing something?!

Just wanted to thank people for the very thoughtful discussion in this thread - it has helped greatly whilst I've been wrestling with whether to bite or not or to "trial" it (whilst fully aware that the deadline is designed exactly to force my hand).

Personally, I'm reluctantly coming to the conclusion that I simply don't drive enough roads where NoA or auto lane change could be used - I did a rare trip to London last week and made a lot of use of autosteer on motorways (a relaxing experience!) so auto lane change is very tempting to enhance those occasions. The other features I already know I likely won't use from my previous car which had them - auto parking worked great but it's much, much quicker and less worrying about my alloys to park myself - especially with a camera to help (everyone's a pro with a camera).

Given my expected usage the person who calculated cost per month makes a very valid point about cost per month vs usage (£70 pcm for EAP assuming I keep my car 4 years). It's too expensive to justify - head wins ):

OTOH maybe I'll console myself by buying acceleration boost - I don't have to convince myself about notions of value for that since it's obviously entirely frivolous!

Reactions: Gatsojon and nikhon
Just wanted to thank people for the very thoughtful discussion in this thread - it has helped greatly whilst I've been wrestling with whether to bite or not or to "trial" it (whilst fully aware that the deadline is designed exactly to force my hand).

Personally, I'm reluctantly coming to the conclusion that I simply don't drive enough roads where NoA or auto lane change could be used - I did a rare trip to London last week and made a lot of use of autosteer on motorways (a relaxing experience!) so auto lane change is very tempting to enhance those occasions. The other features I already know I likely won't use from my previous car which had them - auto parking worked great but it's much, much quicker and less worrying about my alloys to park myself - especially with a camera to help (everyone's a pro with a camera).

Given my expected usage the person who calculated cost per month makes a very valid point about cost per month vs usage (£70 pcm for EAP assuming I keep my car 4 years). It's too expensive to justify - head wins ):

OTOH maybe I'll console myself by buying acceleration boost - I don't have to convince myself about notions of value for that since it's obviously entirely frivolous!
You mean pantomime mode!
Q. “Where are all the other cars”?
A. “They’re behind you” :p

what am I missing from Enhanced Autopilot

Traffic lights and future features - such as navigating on city strees.

Translation - in UK - nothing.

Drove to Portsmouth on the A3 the other day. NoA pops on and off at fairly random, straight stretches of road, then goes back on. No effect on fuctionality (can still change lanes) it just doesent nag you to change lanes like it does on NoA. And of course the beds around Guildford were too much for the AP turn speed limit/EU nerf.

Also, when I got to Portsmouth, the road was closed and the reroute didnt work for a while - the usual satnav snafu - no idea how full fat version would handle that any time soon.

Then there was the paring in the underground lot, no parking spaces were picked up....

The drive back was a faily smooth affair, got used to just signalling and letting it do the change. NoA does nag you to change back to the slow lane even when you see youll butt up against the car in front fairly quickly. It also doesent see merging cars coming from on-ramp until their are right next to you.

To be honest I still dont regret upgrading, the car feels more "complete", and I do hope that features become more mature over time.

Traffic lights and future features - such as navigating on city strees.

Translation - in UK - nothing.

Drove to Portsmouth on the A3 the other day. NoA pops on and off at fairly random, straight stretches of road, then goes back on. No effect on fuctionality (can still change lanes) it just doesent nag you to change lanes like it does on NoA. And of course the beds around Guildford were too much for the AP turn speed limit/EU nerf.

Also, when I got to Portsmouth, the road was closed and the reroute didnt work for a while - the usual satnav snafu - no idea how full fat version would handle that any time soon.

Then there was the paring in the underground lot, no parking spaces were picked up....

The drive back was a faily smooth affair, got used to just signalling and letting it do the change. NoA does nag you to change back to the slow lane even when you see youll butt up against the car in front fairly quickly. It also doesent see merging cars coming from on-ramp until their are right next to you.

To be honest I still dont regret upgrading, the car feels more "complete", and I do hope that features become more mature over time.

Hey!! Did you upgrade to EAP or FSD...

your recent experience that youve described is actually what I have already, except for changing lanes without using the turn signal (I still need to confirm lane change).. I think I have everything from EAP but according to the upgrade options they think I don't. Hopefully SC will tell me more.

Hey!! Did you upgrade to EAP or FSD...

your recent experience that youve described is actually what I have already, except for changing lanes without using the turn signal (I still need to confirm lane change).. I think I have everything from EAP but according to the upgrade options they think I don't. Hopefully SC will tell me more.

I upgraded from AP to EAP.

You dont have lane changes without confirmation in UK due to regulations.

The only thing that works is traffic lights - allegedly.

• Informative
Reactions: nikhon
After many hours considering, reading all posts on the EAP subject many times & a couple of restless nights I've decide to give it a miss this time.
Initially I thought it may be a sensible idea to purchase EAP on the assumption I would benefit from free updates getting me close to fsd. I dont think I'll ever trust full fsd & only really want a trustworthy relaible AP that recognuses speed limit signs reliably and a dynamic cruise as good as the bnw i replaced.
Like others have said I also want to be able to transfer my options to my next tesla, negating the need to re purchase it, hopefully this may change in the future. I'd expect to pay a small upgrade fee though,
I plan on keeping the car 4 years (about 40k miles) & hope the tesla available then will do +400 miles in the real world & have a really good AP.