Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced or FSD?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even if it's $10k for the battery swap, I'd consider it. With average new car prices in the ~$40k and only going up year over year, it would be a no brainer for me to spend the $10k which will basically turn a 5 year old car into a new car.
Is that a thing? I didn't even know that that was a thing.

Based on the reports of people with early MS with high mileage, it really doesn't seem like you're going to need to do that.

I remember when the plan was to have hot-swappable batteries at the supercharger stations for instant fill-ups.:)

I have a M3P one year into a 3 year lease, buying EAP or FSD makes no sense as it stays with the car, so I would recover no value when the lease ends.
That's not entirely correct, as the lease is based (among other things) on the difference between the new and residual value. A vehicle leased from the start with FSD has higher residual.

Unless you decide to do the in-app upgrade and spend $4K or $8K, yes in that case you would indeed not recover anything from that.

• Informative
Reactions: ArtK
Thoughts?
Should I spend the $4000 for enhanced autopilot or $8000 for FSD.

Let me know what you think.
I have a 2018 Tesla M3 with EAP and a 2020 MY with full self driving. So far I find I use the EAP functions all the time on trips and rarely if ever see any benefit for the features coming/here in FSD. I'd save the $4000 and wait to see if FSD ever lives up to the promised potential someday.

• Informative
Reactions: Amp Dup and GenoM3P
I’ve had the same confliction after acquiring my MS 2017 with HW2.5. At the time, the delivery owner had EAP taken off of it. He didn’t disclose that to me so it resulted in a lot of negotiation. I went online and purchased what I thought was EAP only to find out after the email I received later that it was ‘Autopilot’. Then, I could have purchased FSD for about $7,000 but decided against it.

As the bait-n-switch and carpet bagger tactics have continued, I do think at some point in the future FSD may be worth it. The conundrum is pay $8,000 now on a 2017 car or just buy a new one. Frankly, I’m more pursuaded in the later argument of putting the investment in a new car with HW3.0, rear cameras and the newer FSD computer. If I pay the $8,000 now, the only thing I get is the newer FSD computer.

So, all in all for older cars, I would wait. Autopilot (or more appropriately named ‘Adaptive Cruise Control’) works pretty well.

I’ve had the same confliction after acquiring my MS 2017 with HW2.5. At the time, the delivery owner had EAP taken off of it. He didn’t disclose that to me so it resulted in a lot of negotiation. I went online and purchased what I thought was EAP only to find out after the email I received later that it was ‘Autopilot’. Then, I could have purchased FSD for about $7,000 but decided against it.

As the bait-n-switch and carpet bagger tactics have continued, I do think at some point in the future FSD may be worth it. The conundrum is pay $8,000 now on a 2017 car or just buy a new one. Frankly, I’m more pursuaded in the later argument of putting the investment in a new car with HW3.0, rear cameras and the newer FSD computer. If I pay the $8,000 now, the only thing I get is the newer FSD computer.

So, all in all for older cars, I would wait. Autopilot (or more appropriately named ‘Adaptive Cruise Control’) works pretty well.

How does one have EAP removed from a vehicle? Not buying this.

I had a chance to do two days of highway driving with an X with FSD... my answer based on this experience ( my normal ride is the M3 with normal autopilot ) is that it depends on:
How much of your diving is city vs highway vs country.
If mostly country roads: Autopilot
If mostly highway: Enhanced
If mostly city: FSD

It also depends on how much the price of FSD goes up.... it has gone up nearly 25% in about a year. How cool is it to know that part of your car is actually appreciating?

After driving the X with FSD on the highway and a little city I was super impressed... I didn't think it would be that much better of and experience over autopilot... but it was. A couple times I got banned from using it because I missed the prompts... I immediately would stop and get out of the car for snack, whiz, or stretch to get it working again.

I live on an island with zero traffic lights so it is hard to justify for me unless the value of FSD really does continue to go up. Also it depends on future Tesla offerings... what will come stock with the $25,000 car they plan on coming out with? Will they offer FSD for daily rental?

Food for thought.

Yeah, it's just a money grab.

They took away the EAP option because it didn't make much sense. You either have autonomous driving or you don't. EAP is always going to be a driver assist feature, and its never going to be a L4 autonomous feature like FSD is intended for (like the video shows on the more about autopilot tab within the Model 3 page, but not the Model Y page which is a weird website issue).

Then they re-introduced EAP in a limited time offer so we have to ask why, and to question the timing.

The release is right before the release of a major rewrite and adding autosteer in city streets for FSD. Pretty much all the development efforts is on FSD right now. So there is little question that FSD will go up in price by at least $1K. It's also right before FSD is going to be offered in a subscription model.

To me all they're doing to getting more money for the end of the quarter, and they're getting people closer to FSD dollars wise.

They're also doing it before anyone has a chance to do the math on it.

I find this whole thing to be bizarre.

How does one even have $4K sitting around during a time of great uncertainty? Where regardless of your politics or beliefs there are a billion different gofundme's with people crying for help.

I'm questioning spending $4K improving my home windows with sound reducing inserts so I don't murder my neighbor because of his barking dog. That $4K is a lot of money that I'd rather not spend right now. I'm probably going to do one window to make sure that along with other improvements fixes the issue before spending the rest of the money to get the other key windows improved.

Check your city ordinances - our city will warn the barking dog owner twice and then start fining the owner if the issue is not resolved.

As an airplane owner and pilot, I have some knowledge of autopilots. In fact, over the years I've owned four aircraft, each of which had an autopilot of varying abilities.

The autopilot in my current airplane cost a previous owner about $20K to purchase and install. In airplanes, autopilots are far more important than in cars as safety tools, especially for instrument flying (in the clouds). I don't fly single-pilot in the clouds without a functioning autopilot.

My problem with Tesla's autopilot is that it's still distinctly a work-in-progress. We're being offered the opportunity to buy an autopilot that's still in development, and "might" work better and do more in the future. Also, Tesla's autopilot can actually decrease safety if used improperly, as we've seen with sleeping drivers, etc. The same is true of airplane autopilots, but no company would ever sell an aerial autopilot that was still under development. For one thing, they'd never get it certified by the FAA.

My 2020 Model 3 came with an "autopilot" that works fine for now. It's essentially an adaptive cruise control that is capable of steering the car. I'm just not prepared to invest $$$ in an "enhanced autopilot" that has unproven safety advantages and is still a work-in-progress. I understand and appreciate that Tesla is all about continuous improvement. But when I buy an autopilot, I want to know exactly what it does and how that will enhance my safety while driving. Until then, I'll stick with what I've got!

Anyone know what happens to future ability to buy if you buy then refund the purchase within 48 hours?

I may try it out, get the refund, and wait on FSD announcements before committing. Does the FSD price stay 8K? Is it possible to repurchase or do you get put in the penalty box?

Anyone know what happens to future ability to buy if you buy then refund the purchase within 48 hours?

I may try it out, get the refund, and wait on FSD announcements before committing. Does the FSD price stay 8K? Is it possible to repurchase or do you get put in the penalty box?

You can buy it again after the 48hrs. You just don't get to return it the second time.

I used it extensively for 48hrs also.

• Informative
Reactions: Pegann