Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced Summon coming (Elon tweet 6 Apr, 2019)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Enhanced Summon will be a massive let down and we all know it.

Probably but only because we have really big expectations at this point. The higher the expectations, the more likely we are to be disappointed. Maybe it's because of Tesla's marketing promising that the car will "find you anywhere in the parking lot. Really" with the nice "really" at the end to make the point that the car will actually do this, it's not a joke or exaggeration. Maybe it's because we've been waiting so long that we've had time to build up fantastical ideas in our head of what Enhanced Summon will be like. Or maybe it's because of Elon's tweets promising that Enhanced Summon will be "magical". Maybe it's all of the above.

Probably but only because we have really big expectations at this point. The higher the expectations, the more likely we are to be disappointed. Maybe it's because of Tesla's marketing promising that the car will "find you anywhere in the parking lot. Really" with the nice "really" at the end to make the point that the car will actually do this, it's not a joke or exaggeration. Maybe it's because we've been waiting so long that we've had time to build up fantastical ideas in our head of what Enhanced Summon will be like. Or maybe it's because of Elon's tweets promising that Enhanced Summon will be "magical". Maybe it's all of the above.

They stalled for so long I expect it to work flawlessly. If they released it really fast I’ll accept bugs. But at this point they could have rewritten the whole worlds code by now.

They stalled for so long I expect it to work flawlessly. If they released it really fast I’ll accept bugs. But at this point they could have rewritten the whole worlds code by now.

I agree that we can expect Enhanced Summon to work flawlessly at this point. But how do we define Enhanced Summon? WHAT are we expecting to work flawlessly? Or put another way, how complex are we expecting Enhanced Summon to be? There is a big difference between expecting a go kart to work flawlessly and expecting a Formula 1 car to work flawlessly. With regards to Enhanced Summon, there is a difference between a feature that figures out a path from A to B in a parking lot in order to come to you and a parking lot robotaxi. For example, some owners here seem to include "following road signs and parking rules" as part of working flawlessly. But I don't. I don't think those things were ever part of the initial release deesign for Enhanced Summon. If Tesla does include those things in Enhanced Summon, that will be a great bonus as far as I am concerned.

• Disagree
Reactions: DrDabbles
Whole heartedly agree with above that group expectations will be out of this world and unreasonable.

My expectations are that I will be able to safely summon my 3 from the parking lot when it’s raining. I really have no other expectations.

If it also by some miracle can drop me off and find a parking spot, that’s above and beyond.

I agree that we can expect Enhanced Summon to work flawlessly at this point. But how do we define Enhanced Summon? WHAT are we expecting to work flawlessly? Or put another way, how complex are we expecting Enhanced Summon to be? There is a big difference between expecting a go kart to work flawlessly and expecting a Formula 1 car to work flawlessly. With regards to Enhanced Summon, there is a difference between a feature that figures out a path from A to B in a parking lot in order to come to you and a parking lot robotaxi. For example, some owners here seem to include "following road signs and parking rules" as part of working flawlessly. But I don't. I don't think those things were ever part of the initial release deesign for Enhanced Summon. If Tesla does include those things in Enhanced Summon, that will be a great bonus as far as I am concerned.

Requirements undefined. It’s whatever anyone can throw at it and it better work.

Why are these still advertising this feature as if it was released... ?

"Summon: your parked car will come find you anywhere in a parking lot. Really."

All I can do is move my car forward and backwards a few feel.. Really

And that is precisely why Enhanced Summon will be a massive let down for many here on this forum. They are thinking "Enhanced Summon better do X, Y and Z flawlessly" and when it doesn't, they will say Enhanced Summon sucks.

Not sure your point. As you said, the expectations were set by Tesla to be very high -- enough to justify increasing FSD in fact. Yet you and others are "blaming the victim" suggesting that it's the people on the forum that will be fault for being "let down."

Not sure your point. As you said, the expectations were set by Tesla to be very high -- enough to justify increasing FSD in fact. Yet you and others are "blaming the victim" suggesting that it's the people on the forum that will be fault for being "let down."

All Tesla has on the website is this:

I don't consider that to be setting expectations too high. It depends on how you read it. Now, Elon's tweets about ES being "magical" do set expectations very high.

But in fairness, part of the perhaps unrealistic expectations were set by Tesla (e.g., the FSD ordering page) and the Great One (whose name I won't mention). Those most disappointed will be those who bought in (full bore) to the hyperbole and were not pragmatic about what's likely to come out at some point.

I agree that we can expect Enhanced Summon to work flawlessly at this point. But how do we define Enhanced Summon? WHAT are we expecting to work flawlessly?

I'll take a crack at trying to answer that.... I think a "reasonable person" (see legal definition) would expect what Tesla lists on the FSD order page for Enhanced Summon to work "flawlessly". Since that screen shot was posted here any times before, I will refrain from posting it again. In summary, the "Really" line, about your car coming to you in a parking lot should work flawlessly (and safely) when released. I suspect what we will get is something tagged with a "Beta" qualifier, and that will not work reliably. Heck, regular summon today is "hit or miss," and most would consider that release not working "flawlessly".

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
All Tesla has on the website is this:

I don't consider that to be setting expectations too high. It depends on how you read it. Now, Elon's tweets about ES being "magical" do set expectations very high.

Don't forget that he said FSD's price would also be raised when the feature is released. So qualitatively and quantitatively, Tesla has set expectations on this. They own the let down if it isn't magical and worth the (increased) price of admission.

Don't forget that he said FSD's price would also be raised when the feature is released. So qualitatively and quantitatively, Tesla has set expectations on this. They own the let down if it isn't magical and worth the (increased) price of admission.

If I may suggest a change to your sentence....

From: "They own the let down if it isn't magical and worth the (increased) price of admission."
To: "They own the let down if it isn't magical and worth the <redacted> price of admission."

Rationale: If person "A" paid $6000 today, and person "B" paid $8000 just before the release, and it turns out the release wasn't, "magical," as you say, it won't be worth $6000 or $8000 to that person!

I'll take a crack at trying to answer that.... I think a "reasonable person" (see legal definition) would expect what Tesla lists on the FSD order page for Enhanced Summon to work "flawlessly". Since that screen shot was posted here any times before, I will refrain from posting it again. In summary, the "Really" line, about your car coming to you in a parking lot should work flawlessly (and safely) when released. I suspect what we will get is something tagged with a "Beta" qualifier, and that will not work reliably. Heck, regular summon today is "hit or miss," and most would consider that release not working "flawlessly".

I don't disagree with the "flawless" expectation. I am asking a question about what should come before "flawless". For example, should we expect Enhanced Summon to be able to self park and avoid parking in handicap spots? If it can't do those things, does that qualify as not being "flawless"? The reason I ask is because I do not consider self-parking and avoiding handicap spots as a requirement for Enhanced Summon, at least not in the initial release. So for me, if it can't do those 2 things, I might still consider it "flawless" if it can do the other things that I do expect Enhanced Summon to be able to do. Does that clarify my position?

If I had FSD, I’d expect it to come to my reasonable location in a typical US strip mall or employer surface parking lot that’s not super busy but also not dead. Rain or shine. Without causing damage or a traffic jam.
It would have to complete the summon 9 out of 10 times for this to be interesting to me.

If it is on that level, I’d consider the upgrade. For $6k or max $7k. And even then it’s crazy money for something like that. But then I blew more than that on first class airfare to Hawaii last month so why not?

The way Tesla describes it on their website I would expect them to take responsibility if it runs into anything or causes an accident. That's not going to happen though. The user will be responsible for verifying that there are no obstructions around the vehicle and that the vehicle obeys traffic laws (in states where that is required on private property). To me that makes this feature completely useless since practically speaking it can only safely be used in dog walking mode. I also don't expect it to be able work when it's raining or at night. I guess I've got my expectations very low so who knows I might be pleasantly surprised! I'll actually be somewhat surprised if it's released at all before robotaxi mode (available next year :p).

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I don't disagree with the "flawless" expectation. I am asking a question about what should come before "flawless". For example, should we expect Enhanced Summon to be able to self park and avoid parking in handicap spots? If it can't do those things, does that qualify as not being "flawless"? The reason I ask is because I do not consider self-parking and avoiding handicap spots as a requirement for Enhanced Summon, at least not in the initial release. So for me, if it can't do those 2 things, I might still consider it "flawless" if it can do the other things that I do expect Enhanced Summon to be able to do. Does that clarify my position?

I think the flawless tag upon release should only be for what Tesla states, that being "Your parked car will come find you anywhere in a parking lot." Again, that's what a "reasonable person" would expect. You mention self parking, avoiding handicap spaces, etc., but those things are not yet advertised as being Enhanced Summons day 1 features, so anyone who expects those on day 1 would have expectations greater (for whatever reason) than a "reasonable person" would. Capiche?

I think the flawless tag upon release should only be for what Tesla states, that being "Your parked car will come find you anywhere in a parking lot." Again, that's what a "reasonable person" would expect. You mention self parking, avoiding handicap spaces, etc., but those things are not yet advertised as being Enhanced Summons day 1 features, so anyone who expects those on day 1 would have expectations greater (for whatever reason) than a "reasonable person" would. Capiche?

Yeah, I get it. :)

I just want to make we have realistic expectations. Even "your parked car will come find you anywhere in a parking lot. Really" can have different interpretations. Let me ask you this: should a "reasonable person" expect Enhanced Summon to obey direction of travel in a parking lot (the arrows on the ground that indicate which way to go in a particular isle) or right-a-way? That is more in line with Tesla's description but is not necessarily implied.