Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced Summon coming (Elon tweet 6 Apr, 2019)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, I get it. :)

I just want to make we have realistic expectations. Even "your parked car will come find you anywhere in a parking lot. Really" can have different interpretations. Let me ask you this: should a "reasonable person" expect Enhanced Summon to obey direction of travel in a parking lot (the arrows on the ground that indicate which way to go in a particular isle) or right-a-way? That is more in line with Tesla's description but is not necessarily implied.

A "reasonable person" would expect the Tesla to leave its spot and get to you safely; following all standard parking lot driving protocol (like driving on the correct side of the lane, parking lot speed, yielding for people, etc.). Basically, doing what a law-abiding person would do from - pulling out of a parking spot and driving to the location where you (your phone) are at - safely. This is what the Tesla statement ("your parked car will come find you anywhere in a parking lot. Really") would "imply".

Edit: Do I believe this is what I will get for my $6000? No, not even close (on day 1). Will be a parlor trick/gimmick at best, I prophecize.

Last edited:
Should we expect different features (or competence) from AP2 vs AP3 cars? If its not implemented on AP2 cars that have prepaid FSD will that trigger the hardware update to be scheduled?

You bring up an interesting point. In the same universe one would think the AP2 to AP3 upgrades would start (and ideally complete) before HW3 capable software was released - so all Tesla owners would have the same experience (as promised/advertised, when they took your money back in the day, for FSD). Given that there still isn't a timeline for these AP2 to AP3 retrofits makes the "Reasonable Person" conclude one of the following three likelihoods -

1) The AP2 owners will be treated like 2nd class citizen and either not receive a HW3 computer at all (broken promise) or late on whatever timeline best suits Tesla and it's struggles to generate positive cash flow
2) Software that uses/needs HW3 power (like FSD functions not yet delivered, robotaxi, etc.) is/are farther away than is being promoted by management, currently
3) Some other nefarious reason (insert your favorite here)

EDIT: Since it's been a while, and for those not familiar with the term....

Reasonable Person. A phrase frequently used in tort and Criminal Law to denote a hypothetical person in society who exercises average care, skill, and judgment in conduct and who serves as a comparative standard for determining liability.

Last edited:
Reactions: pilotSteve
You bring up an interesting point. In the same universe one would think the AP2 to AP3 upgrades would start (and ideally complete) before HW3 capable software was released - so all Tesla owners would have the same experience (as promised/advertised, when they took your money back in the day, for FSD). Given that there still isn't a timeline for these AP2 to AP3 retrofits makes the "Reasonable Person" conclude one of the following three likelihoods -

1) The AP2 owners will be treated like 2nd class citizen and either not receive a HW3 computer at all (broken promise) or late on whatever timeline best suits Tesla and it's struggles to generate positive cash flow
2) Software that uses/needs HW3 power (like FSD functions not yet delivered, robotaxi, etc.) is/are farther away than is being promoted by management, currently
From everything I learned since I started following Tesla and the Model 3, the answer is: Tesla will only do something if it has an immediate positive impact on their revenue. There is little evidence that they care about existing customers so why would anyone think Tesla would rush to replace an expensive piece of hardware if it’s not absolutely necessary?

Prediction: If you have a Model 3 without HW3 but with EAP/FSD, you will not get HW3 until mid-2022. Musk will simply wait until a large number of people trade in their car or move on. So there will only be a small number of retrofits on Tesla’s dime.

Sorry, but that is Elon’s “Mo”.

buddy got early access to advanced summon. it's an improvement from the current summon, but still a long way from actually being functional.

Yep, see post #620 note.
action-smiley-066.gif

So, if that's what gets released, who thinks Tesla will raise the price of FSD to more than $6000 for it? Well they might, so I should ask "Who will may more than $6000 for it?"
laughing-smiley-014.gif
confused-smiley-013.gif
Also, no real talk recently about stoplight and stop sign recognition either.
sad2.gif
action-smiley-034.gif
ononono.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: C141medic
New video posted to Reddit:

Thanks for posting/sharing!

Interesting, but not flawless/safe as it (in current form) drives in the left lane instead of the correct right lane. More worked needed... What we don't know is how old this version of software is. If it's the most current, then either we won't be seeing it soon, or it will be released with a "Beta" tag and not really be useable (Just another parlor trick/gimmick). Time will tell...

Last edited:
Mine has improved a crazy amount since I've had the car. I don't think this follows though. Summon fails when it loses connection to the phone, I'm not thinking enhanced summon will have this issue.

If enhanced summon sucks then we should wrap up any ideas about FSD and should all dump our stock.

I'm guessing your got yours when HW2.5 had no features enabled. If you compare to an early AP car, they haven't improved at all. If you compare the release of AP features on HW2.5 then they haven't improved at all. They've added more features, but those features are still based on AP, and AP has been scattershot at best.

But if summon sucks, that's not reason to sell my shares. I'm expecting the vehicles to be the selling point, and not the hokey half-baked assist packages.

I agree that we can expect Enhanced Summon to work flawlessly at this point. But how do we define Enhanced Summon? WHAT are we expecting to work flawlessly? Or put another way, how complex are we expecting Enhanced Summon to be? There is a big difference between expecting a go kart to work flawlessly and expecting a Formula 1 car to work flawlessly. With regards to Enhanced Summon, there is a difference between a feature that figures out a path from A to B in a parking lot in order to come to you and a parking lot robotaxi. For example, some owners here seem to include "following road signs and parking rules" as part of working flawlessly. But I don't. I don't think those things were ever part of the initial release deesign for Enhanced Summon. If Tesla does include those things in Enhanced Summon, that will be a great bonus as far as I am concerned.

Sir, you are the master goal post mover and the ultimate apologist. Enhanced summon has been "coming soon now" since 2016. They're clearly already going to limit enhanced summon to single level parking lots, and I entirely expect them to further limit it to simplistic parking lots with no traffic control devices, no one-way lanes, and all lanes need to be open (no fancy islands to create separate areas, etc). So, a flat paved surface with parked cars, essentially. That's not really "enhanced", but it's entirely what I expect.

New video posted to Reddit:

Sorry, she lost her remaining credibility with the "imminent refresh" videos.

EDIT: Since it's been a while, and for those not familiar with the term....

Reasonable Person. A phrase frequently used in tort and Criminal Law to denote a hypothetical person in society who exercises average care, skill, and judgment in conduct and who serves as a comparative standard for determining liability.
I’m thinking all three scenarios are valid. I’ve had my car, and FSD, over a year now and wondering when or if I’ll ever get the promised HW3 upgrade.

Reactions: pilotSteve
If this is truly the latest itteration.. then i think i am disappointed. Especially since she mentioned that it wont recognize parking rules.. plus it still drives on the wrong side and freaked out when 1 car was moving near it and just stopped....

Might or might not be; pretty sure it's not the actual latest iteration since she mentions at the end that the screen UI hasn't changed (can't rotate the view, etc), so it definitely isn't the actual latest build. Whether the enhanced summon is identical between the latest build and the build in the video is unclear, but I doubt they'd go from 20.4.6 to 28.3.7 without making any improvements...

Honestly, looks pretty good to me. This is pretty much what I expect Enhanced Summon to be. It satisfies the description on the website, "car will find you anywhere in the parking lot. really".
It's a little concerning that it didn't react to the cross traffic until two seconds after it was visible through the windshield, let alone the side cameras. Also driving in the middle or wrong side of the road is definitely going to cause problems (possibly hilarious standoffs with other drivers!). Also we still haven't seen a video where it's actually useful (though honestly I'm not sure what that would look like. Pouring rain?).

Remember folks, this is a first iteration of a beta feature. It's not going to be a "finished product". We all know Tesla releases stuff as "beta" and then improves it over time. The current Enhanced Summon is far from perfect but for a 1st version of a "beta" feature, it's ok. It meets the minimum requirement of the marketing description.

It's a little concerning that it didn't react to the cross traffic until two seconds after it was visible through the windshield, let alone the side cameras. Also driving in the middle or wrong side of the road is definitely going to cause problems (possibly hilarious standoffs with other drivers!). Also we still haven't seen a video where it's actually useful (though honestly I'm not sure what that would look like. Pouring rain?).

It still stopped for cross traffic in plenty of time and completely safely. So I am not concerned about that.