Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced Summon coming (Elon tweet 6 Apr, 2019)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seeing release notes for V10 early access today, and noticing a distinct lack of advanced/smart summon. I'm not sure if that means it's missing from early V10 or not, but it would seem like it is at this point.

Early access testing for enhanced summon has officially concluded prior to the early access v10 build, and the current build is focused on testing other new things. I'd expect the final v10 build to include enhanced summon, but of course who knows.

Early access testing for enhanced summon has officially concluded prior to the early access v10 build, and the current build is focused on testing other new things.

Is that because it was working so well?

Almost great? Could be next week!

To celebrate its greatness, they are apparently officially changing the name to Smart Summon (not in this video)!

Last edited:

“It does not get better than that. That is absolutely perfect. Wow!”

;)

I guess I am still struggling to understand the utility of the feature (which looks like it will have fairly low probability of completion) except as a way to develop FSD capabilities.

Is this Enhanced Summon or Smart Summon? :). Video title says Enhanced....

Last edited:
I guess I am still struggling to understand the utility of the feature (which looks like it will have fairly low probability of completion) except as a way to develop FSD capabilities.

I think the real benefit is that it is part of developing future FSD capabilities. If Tesla wants to someday have robotaxis then the car will need to be able to navigate a parking lot with no driver inside. Enhanced/Smart Summon is way of testing that out. When Tesla develops the "automatic city driving" part then when the car reaches a parking lot, they can use what they have developed with Smart Summon to have to car navigate the parking lot to pick someone up or drop someone off.

But in terms of practical application right now, sure it might be a bit limited. I could see Smart Summon being useful in the rain to bring your car closer to you so that you don't need to walk in the rain. Or let's say you purchased a big, heavy object and you don't want to carry it all the way to your car, you could summon your car to come up to the door to make it easier for you. So there are some limited practical cases now. But the main advantages will be that it is part of FSD development.

I was waiting for these videos. First of many I guess.
It’s not meant for the street. Showing it fail where it wasn’t meant to be used, only serves to smear.
And it begins. :(

This was a private street. I feel like it is not too much to ask for the car to be able to distinguish asphalt from grass. It’s reasonable in a parking lot that it may encounter some tricky situations where grass and pavement may need to be delineated - without the assistance of curbs. It is possible they are using a lot of map aids to provide this info. I can’t really explain it otherwise.

The simple explanation is that it is not ready - probably will be a few more months at least.

Reactions: Kant.Ing
This was a private street. I feel like it is not too much to ask for the car to be able to distinguish asphalt from grass. It’s reasonable in a parking lot that it may encounter some tricky situations where grass and pavement may need to be delineated - without the assistance of curbs. It is possible they are using a lot of map aids to provide this info. I can’t really explain it otherwise.

The simple explanation is that it is not ready - probably will be a few more months at least.

I think Elon said a couple months ago that they were working on "free space" NN which would include recognizing the difference between grass and road. So I am not surprised at this video. Smart Summon does seem to work better in parking lots at least. Tesla is making progress. I am sure we will see it work better in this environment as well as Tesla perfects the NN.

I am optimistic. Imagine when Tesla does finish the NN and gets it running on the AP3 computer? I think we will get something really good with FSD when it is finished.

I think Elon said a couple months ago that they were working on "free space" NN which would include recognizing the difference between grass and road. So I am not surprised at this video. Smart Summon does seem to work better in parking lots at least. Tesla is making progress. I am sure we will see it work better in this environment as well as Tesla perfects the NN.

I am optimistic. Imagine when Tesla does finish the NN and gets it running on the AP3 computer? I think we will get something really good with FSD when it is finished.

Your perpetual optimism truly brightens my curmudgeonly day.

Again. It’s not meant for the street. Stating it’s not too much to ask to work where it wasn’t meant to be used is kind of ridiculous.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life