Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced Summon coming (Elon tweet 6 Apr, 2019)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes it is current. Not sure, why everyone thinks it is so terrible. Sure, it's not great but it's not THAT bad. Remember that this is still very much beta. Enhanced Summon will get better over time.

And the car is moving across a parking lot to the owner or a spot on the map just like Tesla promised Enhanced Summon would do, just not very confidently yet.

It's weaving all over the place and driving into empty spaces. It obviously doesn't even have a basic awareness of how parking lots work and it's just using reactionary technology to prevent from running in to things. I'm not sure I'd even trust it in the current state. If it got hit, or hit someone else, while driving unoccupied who do you think would be at fault?

Is there another car manufacturer that is doing this’d? Other than mercede Benz control parking. The answer is no and if you look at Tesla like the iPhone everyone is imitating its concept.

The difference is that Tesla is selling it to people for $6,000 with the promise that it's "coming soon". No other automaker would put this into a production car and expect people to pay for it before it actually works. People are basically paying a large sum of money to be beta testers for something that the company may not have working properly for many years.

I thought about this a lot before ordering. I really like new stuff and wanted FSD for the party trick, but at the current cost it's just too high to justify. And since I was planning on leasing they'd have to finish it relatively soon just for me to get any real use out of it. And based on videos I've seen, like the one above, and other of people testing navigate on autopilot, I'm just not confident that they'll get there quickly enough for me to justify it on a car I know for a fact I'm only going to have for 3 years.

Reactions: Matias and jebinc
Don't shoot the messenger, I am just giving you my personal opinion, not based on any secret info from Tesla. But I think it is possible that Tesla could release Enhanced Summon in 1-2 months from now and Enhanced Summon will be better but not drastically better than what we see in that video. Of course, I expect Tesla to improve Enhanced Summon in the future. But I think the first public release of Enhanced Summon will probably be "beta".

Does anyone know who the access program works? Are owners asked to perform certain functions or test the car out in different scenarios? In this latest video the guy filming, who has a decent you tube presence, says that the car was only using the cameras to see if it could move across a parking lot without hitting anything, and wasn't using all of the technology available.

I am not sure how he knows that or was he just speculating?

Does anyone know who the access program works? Are owners asked to perform certain functions or test the car out in different scenarios? In this latest video the guy filming, who has a decent you tube presence, says that the car was only using the cameras to see if it could move across a parking lot without hitting anything, and wasn't using all of the technology available.

I am not sure how he knows that or was he just speculating?

He was probably just speculating, would be my guess.

Yes it is current. Not sure, why everyone thinks it is so terrible. Sure, it's not great but it's not THAT bad. Remember that this is still very much beta. Enhanced Summon will get better over time.

And the car is moving across a parking lot to the owner or a spot on the map just like Tesla promised Enhanced Summon would do, just not very confidently yet.
I was impressed. I've learned not to over expect. As long as it's not running into things I'll be impressed. I would like to see the tests done in a fuller parking lot though. Is this an EAP feature or just an FSD feature, or both? I would love to upgrade and find out if I have this feature, but I'm too paranoid to upgrade.

Your post reminds me of the age old saying, “Even a broken clock is right twice a day...”

And yet it will never be August 32nd.

Technically the latest release date is "approximately" this Friday.

Anybody holding their breath for these features is already dead. Parking lot navigation will get here when it gets here, and it'll be terrible for a long time after that.

Nah, right now is this week.

12zgp8.jpg

If it were a human struggling to perform, manners would demand withholding harsh judgment.

As this is just a car with lofty promises from a very rich CEO (who according to lore isn’t shy dishing it out, even to his employees), calling the performance in this video “terrible” is still rather courteous.

I call that performance (in 2019, with Tesla’s history around autonomy) an embarassing insult. And if this offends a few fans: let me rephrase it: “It almost doesn’t suck anymore”.

I think you’re saying it would be rude to judge a struggling human.
That’s poor manners.

But it’s okay to judge a rich human with lofty goals. Not poor manners in that situation. ...