Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced Summon coming (Elon tweet 6 Apr, 2019)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd say that the people posting youtube videos is a very small minority of those testing Enhanced Summon.

We have no data either way, so I'm erring on the side of previous evidence and personal experience. Normal people have absolutely no idea how to test or debug complex systems they aren't familiar with, especially when they have no training for a testing regime.

EAP users are under a non-disclosure agreement and agree not to post videos and to not have their software levels reported by Teslafi or other apps.
Well we see how well that works.

Trust me, Enhanced Summon is getting tested in real world scenarios with feedback sent to Tesla.

"Trust me" isn't an argument or a data point, it's a plea. I don't trust people without evidence. It has kept me from being duped and fleeced for quite a long time, so I think I'll stick with it for now.

I think it would be interesting if Tesla came out with a "This is really hard, so we've developed these line of reflectors/symbols which can be read to guide a car through a parking structure, without any people allowed in it", and then licensed that product to other manufacturers..."

This would fail on every level and isn't a scalable solution. Let's consider charging connector standards for a second when we think about how well standards work and how everybody wants to make their own. Besides the point, who exactly foots the bill for the cost of retrofitting every single parking lot on the planet?

Plain and simple- No, this would never happen and never work.

(I was "almost" going to be an architect, once, and I like what that would open up for commercial/multifamily building design... Of course, I also think Tesla should look at licensing motor and battery design to power tool manufacturers, so...)

Almost only counts in hand grenades and thermonuclear warfare. Power tool companies don't want Tesla's tech, and it's not applicable to their problem set in the first place.

Normal people have absolutely no idea how to test or debug complex systems they aren't familiar with, especially when they have no training for a testing regime.

That's kind of the point.

When you do QA you typically do a small controlled testing group of people who "know how to test" who will invariably miss a ton of "real world" issues.

Then you move to some kind of limited but significantly larger user testing- where all the weird non-standard issues the "testing regime" would never run into come to light by having "regular users" bang on whatever it is for a while, and you make changes based on that feedback and rinse/repeat until it, to borrow a phrase, doesn't suck.

This reminds me of those funny free tomorrow signs. Just replace beer with enhanced summon and tomorrow with next week :D

beer.jpg

Of course, I also think Tesla should look at licensing motor and battery design to power tool manufacturers, so...)

... that also plug into my Powerwall for dual use. Use reserve power (10-20%) as standby tool power.

Wish the car would do this too. PW has about 14KWh whereas my car has 75kWh. That's the equivalent of 5 powerwalls that are un-tappable.

... that also plug into my Powerwall for dual use. Use reserve power (10-20%) as standby tool power.

Wish the car would do this too. PW has about 14KWh whereas my car has 75kWh. That's the equivalent of 5 powerwalls that are un-tappable.

Yes, it would be cool/nice to use your Tesla as a battery backup for the house. I currently use a 10kW whole house generator from Generac - fed with propane...

Yes, it would be cool/nice to use your Tesla as a battery backup for the house. I currently use a 10kW whole house generator from Generac - fed with propane...

Works in theory, until they have to warrantee the car based on mileage and time vs. watts delivered. Maybe sign a Opt Out for the car battery warranty that unlocks it for home use.

Heck, let's just go DC. The case for AC was the AC Westinghouse Generator. We're not generating AC here. You'd gain (guessing) 10% efficiency and could scrap the inverter completely. (Hey, how did we get on this topic in the Summon discussion?)

Yup, I'm questioning AC (Alternating Current) for the solar home. Does it still make sense? The sun, batteries, lights, all DC oriented! And get this from Google search... "the DC motor is 30% more efficient than AC motors due to the secondary magnetic field being generated from the permanent magnets rather than copper windings." Last I checked, my car also uses a DC motor for these reasons. And gee, the battery is DC too.

On top of that, DC is safer to the human body... "For DC to produce the same effect as AC on the human body, its flow of constant strength must be two to four times that being administered by the AC."

The switch-over would be painful at first - not many DC refrigerators out there but they are available so I'm thinking long here. For a random example: Appliances | Off-Grid | Solar Appliances | Backwoods Solar

Kinda crazy we take solar, charge batteries, then convert to AC for the car which turns it back to DC. Energy lost at every conversion.

Reactions: Cirrus MS100D

I'd say that the people posting youtube videos is a very small minority of those testing Enhanced Summon.
We have no data either way, so I'm erring on the side of previous evidence and personal experience. Normal people have absolutely no idea how to test or debug complex systems they aren't familiar with, especially when they have no training for a testing regime.

EAP users are under a non-disclosure agreement and agree not to post videos and to not have their software levels reported by Teslafi or other apps.

Trust me, Enhanced Summon is getting tested in real world scenarios with feedback sent to Tesla.
"Trust me" isn't an argument or a data point, it's a plea. I don't trust people without evidence. It has kept me from being duped and fleeced for quite a long time, so I think I'll stick with it for now.

I am also erring on the side of personal experience with my previous comments about real world testing. I'm very positive that Enhanced Summon is getting tested in real world scenarios. If you don't believe it is being tested because you don't see a lot of videos posted on YouTube in violation of confidentiality agreements, then you'll never believe it is being tested thoroughly until it is in a formal GA release version.

I wouldn’t deny that early access folks have and are testing Enhanced Summon, but I highly doubt its made the leap to “magical,” otherwise there would be leaks like crazy and EM would retweet the forbidden leaked videos if it showed something truly remarkable.

I say this as a ‘17 FSD purchaser and believer, but I was hopeful we’d see something more than we have now by 2020 back in 2017. There’s still some time left in 2019 to be sure.

I am also erring on the side of personal experience with my previous comments about real world testing. I'm very positive that Enhanced Summon is getting tested in real world scenarios. If you don't believe it is being tested because you don't see a lot of videos posted on YouTube in violation of confidentiality agreements, then you'll never believe it is being tested thoroughly until it is in a formal GA release version.

I likely won't believe it's being tested then either, because it'll likely have glaring errors and failures in common scenarios. Just like Navigate on Autopilot.

Yup, I'm questioning AC (Alternating Current) for the solar home. Does it still make sense?
Kinda crazy we take solar, charge batteries, then convert to AC for the car which turns it back to DC. Energy lost at every conversion.

Ummmm DC has a VERY high loss rate per foot which is why your cables are so thick. Want to rewire your house in 8 gauge wire? This is why we use AC.