Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced Summon, where are you?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder especially about the near vision... there are the known blindspots in the forward quarter of the suite as well as most vision confusion with indentifying nearby objects, that is the part where I would be most concerned with kids, pets, protruding objects etc.

My fear is it's going to fail for any object/person that isn't large. That the lack of down facing 360 degree cameras will always prevent it from being used without supervision.

I don't have any kids so I don't have any test subjects to test it on. It doesn't seem to have any issues seeing me, but I'm too big/tall of a test subject to be suitable.

It's not especially fast nor does it allow for a lot of torque so I'm not sure it will hurt any kid let alone an adult. I'm sure we'll see a few cases of wondering toddlers being bumped by a Tesla. It's also a problem regular cars have with toddlers where they're too small for the ultrasonics, and the human drivers don't usually see them. The primary difference is the Tesla is so quiet unless it's the new ones with the sound maker.

As it pertains to safety/usability I would like to see some changes made to how smart summons works.

Have a honk button right next to the button that has to be held down for smart summons. That way the remote operator can make the car stop and honk by simply shifting their finger over. Being able to honk is essential for transversing a parking lot.

Improvement to path planning where instead of the car doing the path planning the path planning was left to the Tesla servers. They have the satellite view so they should use a sophisticated neural network to create a path from that. Where the path abided by rules of the parking lots for that region. So it was clear to the operator where the car will go, and where it will stop at parking lot intersections.

Learned paths so it any adjustments it made to the path last time are taken into account.I tested it 10 times doing the same exact summon, and it didn't exhibit any learning behavior.

Reactions: 1 person
“It’s the same as using Autopilot,” says Greenstein in a phone interview with Forbes. “You can use it like you do any advanced driver assistance feature on public roads.”
I hope Tesla doesn't enable Smart Summon on public roads! :eek:
Just increase the top speed to 35mph and call it "Automatic Driving on City Streets", very legal and very cool. :rolleyes:

Have a honk button right next to the button that has to be held down for smart summons. That way the remote operator can make the car stop and honk by simply shifting their finger over. Being able to honk is essential for transversing a parking lot.
I think it should honk whenever you release the button (I suppose you could add a way to cancel without honking too but the natural panic response cancel motion should honk). That might have prevented that accident where the other car backed into the Model 3.

I think it should honk whenever you release the button (I suppose you could add a way to cancel without honking too but the natural panic response cancel motion should honk). That might have prevented that accident where the other car backed into the Model 3.

I think having the honk right next to button is the only way. So it's simply sliding the finger over to stop, and honk. Where releasing it would stop it without honking.

Tesla should also have a tutorial video on how to properly use the feature.

My fear is it's going to fail for any object/person that isn't large. That the lack of down facing 360 degree cameras will always prevent it from being used without supervision.

I don't have any kids so I don't have any test subjects to test it on. It doesn't seem to have any issues seeing me, but I'm too big/tall of a test subject to be suitable.

It's not especially fast nor does it allow for a lot of torque so I'm not sure it will hurt any kid let alone an adult. I'm sure we'll see a few cases of wondering toddlers being bumped by a Tesla. It's also a problem regular cars have with toddlers where they're too small for the ultrasonics, and the human drivers don't usually see them. The primary difference is the Tesla is so quiet unless it's the new ones with the sound maker.

I fear for pets first. The one slighly rural video with a pet circiling the summoning Tesla already made me nervous with those blindspots.

So, here is my guess of how it works.

Tesla uses maps of parking lots. When you summon - Tesla servers make a route determination and send it to the car. The car tries to follow the route - if it encounters obstacles not in the map, like a curb - I guess it will ask the server for an alternate route.

So, in general, if the map is perfect, the route won't cross parking spots etc. If there are problems with the map - the car will take weird routes.

ps : For a long, long time, this is how any kind of FSD will work. FSD will be based on some kind of map data … driving purely by vision will have to wait. Even humans don't do that anymore.
Maybe. When you says "maps" do you mean they are using Satellite maps or something else?

I can't believe you think it's my speculation that Tesla lies! :rolleyes: (I am sure most frequent members are aware about your constant use of words FUD and Trollish). Tesla/Elon started these lies and they should own it too :)
Yeah I wish moderators put the facts on front page vs some hunky dory posts.
If you’re talking about the person I put on my ignore list last Friday (EVLater), this person frequently calls people he doesn’t agree with, “Shorts,” meaning he “assumes” they are posting what they are posting because they “short” TSLA stock hoping to make money. Sure, there may be some of that out there, but this person slaps that tag, troll, FUD and more on people he doesn’t know anything about - it’s his first instant action to reading something he doesn’t agree with. Many of that person’s posts should have been either deleted or moved to “snippiness” thread, by the mods IMHO. If you are tired of dealing with this person’s random accusations, the “Ignore” switch is a good remedy.

If you’re talking about the person I put on my ignore list last Friday (EVLater), this person frequently calls people he doesn’t agree with, “Shorts,” meaning he “assumes” they are posting what they are posting because they “short” TSLA stock hoping to make money. Sure, there may be some of that out there, but this person slaps that tag, troll, FUD and more on people he doesn’t know anything about - it’s his first instant action to reading something he doesn’t agree with. Many of that person’s posts should have been either deleted or moved to “snippiness” thread, by the mods IMHO. If you are tired of dealing with this person’s random accusations, the “Ignore” switch is a good remedy.
I am wearing shorts currently. That's how far I can get to "shorting" if that clears @EVNow suspicion!
To @EVNow : Look I love driving this car and honestly so would any other newer car as all my past cars where highly used ones. Tesla was my first brand new car and I was ready to spend so much (in contrast to my previous vehicles) because I genuinely believed in FSD video. Yes I know Elon has promised FSD retrofit but Tesla will keep delaying retrofit until most owners will sell or upgrade and eventually will be forgotten.

I'm sure we'll see a few cases of wondering toddlers being bumped by a Tesla.

They have the satellite view so they should use a sophisticated neural network to create a path from that.

Ok, let me get this straight... the same people who think lidar is a crutch also think that live satellite video is necessary for ****ing parking lots?

LEO imaging satellites don’t work that way — they move over the earth constantly. They aren’t hovering over every ****ing Costco looking for toddler signatures.

And I cannot ****ing believe you would tacitly endorse 4,000 lb robots “bumping toddlers,” you ****ing monster.

Ok, let me get this straight... the same people who think lidar is a crutch also think that live satellite video is necessary for ****ing parking lots?

LEO imaging satellites don’t work that way — they move over the earth constantly. They aren’t hovering over every ****ing Costco looking for toddler signatures.

And I cannot ****ing believe you would tacitly endorse 4,000 lb robots “bumping toddlers,” you ****ing monster.

Haha, I can't for the life of me figure out how you interpreted what I said as that.

I never said live satellite video, and I never claimed that using satellite pathing would solve the toddler issue. I simply claimed that using the satellite view to create a path would create more accurate paths. You don't need a live view as the car is capable of seeing other cars, pedestrians, etc. What it can't seem to do is to go the correct way in a one-way or avoid running over empty parking spaces.

As to the toddler problem.

Toddlers are inherently unpredictable so even a very careful drivers have a none-zero chance of hitting one. In fact toddlers are one of the main reasons I don't think Tesla can truly achieve unsupervised movement in a parking lot as it doesn't have 360 down-facing cameras to see toddlers close to the car when it starts moving.

Do I endorse a 4,000lb Robot bumping toddlers? No. I simply stated the fact that it's inevitable because not every owner is going to take responsibility to monitor the car during while doing smart summon.

It's gonna be a big headache if someone hits you while your car is summoning. There's really no precedent for this, even if the other driver is at fault.

There is some precedence at least academically with Waymo vehicles. Where they were involved in crashes where most of them were the other parties fault.

It really sucks for the other party since on the one hand it was their fault, but at the same time the accident likely wouldn't have happened had it not been an L4 vehicle undergoing testing. Where the behavior of the vehicle was a lot different than the human expected.

I foresee at least a handful of accidents in the coming months where it's not necessary the fault of the Tesla, but that some behavior it did led to it.