Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced Summon, where are you?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mind you: Not saying it can’t be fake. I’m just not buying the reasons to doubt it. The reason I would doubt it is a simple one: you never know on the Internet.
Looking at his past tweets - no reason to think he will suddenly popup to tweet a fake accident.

But I don’t see any particular reason to doubt this anymore than the average thing — I might see such doubters more likely having ulterior motives like protecting TSLA positions or such, but that would be paranoia. ;)
Longs are skeptical of things like this because in the past such things have been fake.

Completely different vs nobody in the car

We've already had accidents while AP was on, where it was other party's fault.

But, is it though?

It comes down to perception.

If I get into an accident with a Waymo vehicle because it does some behavior that I didn't predict then I'm going to be mad at Waymo. Obviously the vehicles look and act differently than human driven vehicles.

If I get into an accident in a parking lot with a driverless Tesla then my perception is the car is doing the driving. So once again I'm going to be mad at manufacture of the vehicle if it did something that I felt like contributed to the accident/

If I get into an accident with a Tesla on the freeway my perception is it's the drivers fault regardless of whether AP was engaged or not.

As to whether there is precedence with AP I'm not sure. For precedence to be set the car has to do something a human wouldn't normally due that is both legal, but also unexpected. As far as I know it's pretty frowned upon to brake check someone so false braking isn't exactly innocent. That's the typical contribution that Tesla makes towards an accident.

But, there probably is an example or two that I'm an unaware of.

This looks GOOD
Yep. There's several videos like this on YT that shows how good Smart Summon CAN be. It's still obviously not perfect but I'd say it's far better than most folks thought it would be in it's debut moment!

The use cases for it are currently pretty limited. It's great in low key parking lots or situations where there isn't a ton of activity. In busy parking lots (like Costco) it's going to mostly be a nuisance for now.

Tesla has got something they can build on for sure!

Had fun with the advanced summons parlor trick @ Lowe's, picking up some mulch. It didn't disconnect during this summons & the group that was waiting around was impressed. It seems to disconnect more often than desirable..Any ideas why that would be happening when we are both looking at each other & calculating how to get together ;0)

My attempts at "come to me" have been mixed. Car seems to get confused easily and disconnects. I bet it will work better with the pin drop, though, since it has a predetermined route.

No real reason to use this aside from maybe heavy downpours when you are shopping at a grocery store, but it's a smart move from Tesla/Elon to get this out to end users to do the beta testing to collect massive amounts of test data for the eventual robo-taxi goal. Can't pick people up as a robo-taxi if you can't get to the person who summoned the car.

Had fun with the advanced summons parlor trick @ Lowe's, picking up some mulch. It didn't disconnect during this summons & the group that was waiting around was impressed. It seems to disconnect more often than desirable..Any ideas why that would be happening when we are both looking at each other & calculating how to get together ;0)
Interesting. I've actually found that the latest V10 software AND the latest version of the Android App (can't speak for iOS) have resulted in MUCH better connectivity than ever before.

I haven't had any disconnects. Maybe try logging out of the app, exiting it fully and then logging back in.

Reactions: diplomat33
Interesting. I've actually found that the latest V10 software AND the latest version of the Android App (can't speak for iOS) have resulted in MUCH better connectivity than ever before.

Seconded. Before this update I always had to manually turn off sentry mode before grabbing my door handle or I'd get a recording of myself. That seems to have stopped with V10.

Reactions: turnem
So I tried enhanced summon for the first time today as well as another model 3 owner in the group I play with on Sat mornings. This is actually the first time I have used summon of any flavor, never had a use for the regular summon so never tried it.

Scenario was a partially empty theater parking lot with no foot or car traffic. I parked on the near side of a long dividing island and he parked on the far side. The whole group came out to watch, I can say this is brilliant PR for Tesla, everyone was amazed.

Did my car first, it pulled out of the spot and navigated to the curb at the theater front pretty well. Pretty easy. Other guy was more confident so had parked so the car would need to figure out how to get around the island. His car backed out and turned the wrong way as there was construction blocking the far end. Car heads towards construction, then figures out (somehow) it isn’t going to make it that way so did a u turn in the parking lot and came back the correct direction. It navigated the semi-tight turns (slowly) and did manage to get itself over to the correct location, although it did drive through a handicapped spot. It was interesting watching his car drive as he had a silver windshield cover up, LOL.

Used in those scenarios, (quiet mostly empty parking lots) it is probably fine and a neat trick. Maybe handy for rainy days in a quiet office parking lot. Unfortunately, I don’t know that all folks will be as cautious with it as we were, so I am guessing this will be interesting.

Love the windshield cover. An onlooker would really be amazed if there were any.

Elon promises an update "in coming weeks" that will make Smart Summon "smooth as silk":
"Several finesse improvements coming to Smart Summon in coming weeks. Will be smooth as silk."
Elon Musk on Twitter

I look forward to this update. Hopefully, Tesla has collected a ton of data from Smart Summon now. Smart Summon definitely needs some improvements.

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc
Elon promises an update "in coming weeks" that will make Smart Summon "smooth as silk":
"Several finesse improvements coming to Smart Summon in coming weeks. Will be smooth as silk."
Elon Musk on Twitter

I look forward to this update. Hopefully, Tesla has collected a ton of data from Smart Summon now. Smart Summon definitely needs some improvements.
I feel like I'm already seeing improvements in the point releases since the original V10 drop.

It's almost getting to the point where I might actually use smart summon in a real scenario instead of just playing with it!