Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Entire Supercharging Team Fired?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
News yesterday is that the entire 500+ person word-wide SC team has been let go. That is alarming. Why would Elon sack the execs and all the employees of this important part of Tesla's business? Could Tesla be selling the SC network off to a third party? Opinions? Other theories?

29226473368_d3a9e965d2_c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that competitive differentiator boat has sailed when Tesla opened up the supercharger network. There is just no incentive for tesla to improve the network anymore because it no longer to their benefit. Supercharger is a slow growth utility and Tesla has a finite amount of money to deploy. They are going all in on AI and that will be the differentiator going forward. $10B on FSD is not chump change even for Tesla especially in a slower market. Big picture is that Tesla will be an AI company with cars as a product amongst other products such as Optimus. Right or wrong, I think that is the direction they are going. As a tesla owner, does that make me upset? Of course. I bought a Tesla for their charging network and seeing they will no longer expand at the pace they were going sucks especially as they open up to other manufacturers.
I hear what you're saying and this is also my general observation as to what Musk is doing at Tesla. He's still running Tesla like a startup company in the early part of a disruption phase. To date, the vast majority of consumers who have bought Tesla's have been early adopters - divided up into alphas and betas. The alphas are the true believers, who oftentimes become the apologists for their fearless leader. These are the folks who take the marketshare from 0-5%. The second tranche are the beta early adopters - these are the more pragmatic early adopters - oftentimes labelled as skeptics by the alphas - that take the marketshare from 5-10%. Beyond 10% - we're getting into the tranches of traditional consumers. That's where we are right now - and despite all of the rationales and reasons about BEV adoption/demand falling off - it's primarily because of two simple reasons - range anxiety and lack of public charging infrastructure. No amount of education is going to convince more traditional consumers to buy a product that doesn't solve for these two primary blockers. That's why I think it's a really huge risk to deprioritize the Tesla SC network right now - it will actually result in even less demand for BEV purchases. It won't happen overnight, but it will likely happen if those traditional consumers see the market leader pull way back on investments in public charging networks. I get that at least some of the underlying issues are FUD - but the MSM isn't going to stop writing articles telling consumers about how Tesla has pulled back on key investments in the public charging networks - which is going to do one thing - negatively impact future sales/demand.

I'd also submit that even the most successful Silicon Valley startups that are now huge tech companies - Google, Apple, Microsoft, Meta, and yes Tesla - continue to succeed as they mature into large cap growth companies - for a single primary reason - they make products that consumers want to buy - and they listen to their customers intently when it comes to product roadmaps. This doesn't mean you stop innovating and bringing entirely new nextgen products and services to market - but you also don't kill your cash cow while doing so. Tesla is a 100bb+ company, it doesn't have to be a one trick pony, and all of this talk about capital allocation efficiency, while valid, is way overkill when it comes to Tesla. I'm pretty sure if Tesla asked their customers about whether investing in the SC network should continue, and if doing so would positively or negatively impact future repeat purchase decisions - the vast majority of the existing Tesla customer base and likely the vast majority of prospective traditional consumers would very likely indicate the scaling back on the Tesla SC network isn't what the customer wants. The SC network is one of the best products and services that Tesla has ever brought to market to accelerate BEV adoption and to accelerate the transition to clean energy and to fight against climate change. That is the primary mission of the company. The fact that Musk wants Tesla to be a one trick pony and shift entirely to AI/robotics ultimately may prove to be either wildly successful, or one of the worst decisions yet. Only time will tell - but whenever I see a company ignoring its customer base - I always take a step back as it gives me real pause and cause for concern. Tesla can do both - and the fact that Musk isn't really willing to do both - concerns me. This is very likely why Drew and Rohan left - because when push comes to shove - Musk doesn't want to do both - he wants to go "balls to the wall" toward autonomous vehicles - seemingly at the expense of everything that Tesla has already successfully done. I hope I'm wrong - I really do - but I'm suspect that Musk is being honest with his investors at the same time. Again, only time will tell, but the fact that he's practicing ignorance with respect to his customer base, is something that concerns me greatly.

In 12 years, Teslas has opened 6,345 Supercharger sites around the world - an average of 1.5 per day.

Does it really take 500 people to find 1 or 2 locations, pull 1 or 2 permits, and schedule 1 or 2 contractors to do the work?
Yeah, it sure does! We're talking about ~550 sites/year and each site requires a blizzard of planning, permitting, and ordering to get it up and running and each site has to be planned months in advance.

Does it really take 500 people to find 1 or 2 locations, pull 1 or 2 permits, and schedule 1 or 2 contractors to do the work?
Maybe not. But it does take more than zero, and per Elon, it's now zero:

On Monday, in an email to employees that was reviewed by The New York Times, Mr. Musk said he would dissolve the “entire group of approximately 500 people” that had worked on building new Supercharger stations. In that message, he said the company would finish stations under construction and build some new ones “where critical.”
And as reported, contractors now no longer have contacts in Tesla, and aren't getting paid.

Plus, those are old numbers. The group was 500 in 2024 so you need to look how quick they were building in 2024, not an average over the last 12 years.
Tesla indicated that its Supercharger stations grew from 3,971 in Q2 2022 to 4,283 in Q3 2022 to 4,678 in Q4 2022 to 4,947 in Q1 2023 to 5,265 in Q2 2023.
Tesla was building more like 4 sites a day recently, and many of those are HUGE with 50-120 stalls per single site.

Also, the idea that all this team did was find a location and pull a permit? What about working with power companies to get power to the location? What about actually BUILDING and designing the supercharger physical hardware? What about keeping the leases active on 6,000 sites? What about repairing and upgrading existing sites? What about dealing with local governments (which many are in foreign countries)?

That's 12 sites per person and about 120 stalls per person on the team to keep the whole SC network running, build hardware, etc. That's not obviously inefficient, and that doesn't assume they are building anything at all.

15,000 new stalls and 50,000 stalls managed per year by 500 people sounds great, especially with all the work they are doing for things such as making NACS a standard and licensing supercharger HW to other operators.

At $150K a year per person, that's about $1000 per year per stall for the SC team. Meanwhile a busy stall can bring in way over $100K a year in charging fees.

And a reminder that Elon is asking for $50B in pay, which can pay the salaries of those 500 people for 650 years. Now who looks inefficient?

Last edited:
I think that competitive differentiator boat has sailed when Tesla opened up the supercharger network. There is just no incentive for tesla to improve the network anymore because it no longer to their benefit. Supercharger is a slow growth utility and Tesla has a finite amount of money to deploy. They are going all in on AI and that will be the differentiator going forward. $10B on FSD is not chump change even for Tesla especially in a slower market. Big picture is that Tesla will be an AI company with cars as a product amongst other products such as Optimus. Right or wrong, I think that is the direction they are going. As a tesla owner, does that make me upset? Of course. I bought a Tesla for their charging network and seeing they will no longer expand at the pace they were going sucks especially as they open up to other manufacturers.
Meanwhile Elon demands 5x that as compensation package and even changed the state for the company because Delaware judge called it excessive…

In 12 years, Teslas has opened 6,345 Supercharger sites around the world - an average of 1.5 per day.

This I think is the crux of why they were let go. The supercharger build-out has been slow as *sugar*. There should be easily 4x as many superchargers today as there are.

The supercharger build-out has been slow as *sugar*. There should be easily 4x as many superchargers today as there are.
1500 sites and 13,000 stalls a year is slow, plus managing the existing 5,000 sites / 50K stalls, and expanding to new countries during that?

Why do people keep assuming that there have been 500 people in that team for the last 12 years, and not the last few years when they were really pumping out sites?

1714599217813.png

Attachments

• 1714599195407.png
    1714599195407.png
    38.3 KB · Views: 4
1500 sites and 13,000 stalls a year is slow, plus managing the existing 5,000 sites / 50K stalls, and expanding to new countries during that?

Why do people keep assuming that there have been 500 people in that team for the last 12 years, and not the last few years when they were really pumping out sites?

View attachment 1043532
Growth is slow af compared to car sales, keep in mind, they need to keep up with ALL car manufacturers, not just their own car sales since everyone has pretty much committed to NACS. Graph looks near linear and should be more exponential as they got more experience and streamlined the process as they hired more people.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3

View attachment 1043532
Not slow compared to other charge networks, but they also missed goals and if the other post is true, there were sites that had everything ready to go and were sitting for months waiting for activation.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
Graph looks near linear and should be more exponential as they got more experience and streamlined the process as they hired more people.
Again, existing sites need to be managed and take resources. Not only new builds count. This is like saying service centers only need to be scaled to how many cars were delivered in a given year.

Plus, this is not a situation that scales. You are building sites in new COUNTRIES and cities, and business owners that have never hosted a SC before. Why do you assume the same number of people can become faster and faster at this? This is not a production line at a fixed site. This is construction, and when was the last time you heard of efficient, fast, scaled construction that builds all over the world?

I mean, I agree that more SC's would be awesome, but I don't agree that the reason there weren't more is that the existing SC team was slacking instead of not having enough resources. And don't forget that they were also limited by how much money Tesla would budget each year, and the beginning of that budget had to to to supporting existing sites and leases.

Then, for all of that, the right solution is to fire ALL of them, not that maybe you needed MORE people and resources if your rate was too slow?

How do you think Tesla is going to accelerate with a new team?

Last edited:
Again, existing sites need to be managed and take resources. Not only new builds count. This is like saying service centers only need to be scaled to how many cars were delivered in a given year.

Plus, this is not a situation that scales. You are building sites in new COUNTRIES and cities, and business owners that have never hosted a SC before. Why do you assume the same number of people can become faster and faster at this? This is not a production line at a fixed site. This is construction, and when was the last time you heard of efficient, fast, scaled construction that builds all over the world?

I mean, I agree that more SC's would be awesome, but I don't agree that the reason there weren't more is that the existing SC team was slacking instead of not having enough resources. And don't forget that they were also limited by how much money Tesla would budget each year, and the beginning of that budget had to to to supporting existing sites and leases.

Then, for all of that, the right solution is to fire ALL of them, not that maybe you needed MORE people and resources if your rate was too slow?

How do you think Tesla is going to accelerate with a new team?

Quick math here too: Let's say Tesla spent $3K per stall per year. $1K for the SC team, $1K for the lease, $1K for the maintenance.
That's $200M a year for 65K stalls, INCLUDING the salaries of the SC team who do more than just build SC sites.

Tesla is spending 50X that amount per year on "AI" and Elon wants 250X that amount in pay.
Even forgetting all that... Elon literally said they're going to slow down expansion. This wasn't a move to increase efficiency and increase ramp up. At best it was an ill advised cost cutting move. But I think the likely story is Elon saw Tinucci as a threat and decided to do this as a show of power to the rest of the execs.

Quick math here too: Let's say Tesla spent $5K per stall per year. $1K for the SC team, $1K for the land lease, $3K for the maintenance and depreciated build out cost.

That's $325M a year for 65K stalls, INCLUDING the salaries of the SC team who do more than just build SC sites. And this assumes they get no revenue from the SC's beyond the incremental cost of electricity, when the reality is that the SC's can easily pay for themselves ($5K is only about 200 hours of charging a year at 25 cents per kWh over electric rates).

Tesla is spending 30X that amount per year on "AI" and Elon wants 150X that amount in pay.

Last edited:
Which is he exact opposite of how Elon lives his life.

Nobody is denying that every single person under Tinucci was fired. The email says that, people's updates on LinkedIn say that, people on Reddit that were fired say that. Elon is not disputing the leaked email, in fact is pissed it was leaked and is trying to say supercharging will somehow magically continue but is not saying a core team was kept. Tinucci's job description was:

You did read the NYT article, right? The one where it says:

What are you even defending? You're basically trying to say that the story from the outside does look awful, but because we don't know everything, we should assume the best. And that not knowing is on us, the customers, when it could be resolved by a single tweet by Elon: "Misreported. We did not fire the whole team. Focusing on more efficient supercharger roll out team. Will still be the leader in DC fast charging." But no, we don't get that, but somehow that's on us for overacting while we're OK with Elon tweeting about how immigrants are bad (not him of course) and how you can subscribe to X to support free speech in the last 24 hours instead of spending his time managing messaging around Tesla's widely reported firing of a critical team.

That just makes Elon look like an awful CEO, and is not the burn on irrational owners that you think it is.

Is this the stuff you think the CEO of Tesla should be posting instead of messaging what is going on with the charging team?

Tinucci's team appears to be fired, but that what is being disputed is that was not the "entire supercharger team". I just watched a bit of the out of spec video and the claim is the maintenance team is still fully intact, so there will be no impact to supercharger operation, including for third parties.

What appears to be gone is most of the new installation team (a utility working with Tesla on 20+ sites says all their contacts have bounced back). And at least some of the people in contact with the OEMs also were let go.

I think the latter would be most damaging, as there is going to be lost of trust in Tesla for NACS adoption. Kyle seems to be of the opinion however that 800-1000V support is a must for Tesla (and it seemed the OEM guy he was talking to is of the same), so some of that is colored by that. But even prior to this news, I never got the impression Tesla was very enthusiastic about switching to 800V (none of the sites, even with V4 supported it).

Reactions: HitchHiker71
Tinucci's team appears to be fired, but that what is being disputed is that was not the "entire supercharger team". I just watched a bit of the out of spec video and the claim is the maintenance team is still fully intact, so there will be no impact to supercharger operation, including for third parties.

What appears to be gone is most of the new installation team (a utility working with Tesla on 20+ sites says all their contacts have bounced back). And at least some of the people in contact with the OEMs also were let go.

I think the latter would be most damaging, as there is going to be lost of trust in Tesla for NACS adoption. Kyle seems to be of the opinion however that 800-1000V support is a must for Tesla (and it seemed the OEM guy he was talking to is of the same), so some of that is colored by that. But even prior to this news, I never got the impression Tesla was very enthusiastic about switching to 800V (none of the sites, even with V4 supported it).
great, so in the *best case* whatever we have right now won't break and will be maintained.... but GOOD LUCK with new installations / expanding existing installations or being an OEM and needing to work with Tesla on adapter / getting help with ensuring your customers can use the SC network. on the other hand that might be a good thing as other OEMs will compete with Tesla users for limited Superchargers which aren't going to be expanded anytime soon....

great, so in the *best case* whatever we have right now won't break and will be maintained.... but GOOD LUCK with new installations / expanding existing installations or being an OEM and needing to work with Tesla on adapter / getting help with ensuring your customers can use the SC network. on the other hand that might be a good thing as other OEMs will compete with Tesla users for limited Superchargers which aren't going to be expanded anytime soon....
That's only in the short term view. In the long term, of theories thrown out there, that this was a power struggle between Elon and Tinucci seems most plausible to me, so there may be a skeleton crew or eventually people will be hired back to tie up loose ends on the sites currently in progress. Those people can then continue on working on new sites (which is officially Tesla/Elon's claim, even though people here seems to disregard that completely).

• Informative
Reactions: gglockner
That's only in the short term view. In the long term, of theories thrown out there, that this was a power struggle between Elon and Tinucci seems most plausible to me, so there may be a skeleton crew or eventually people will be hired back to tie up loose ends on the sites currently in progress. Those people can then continue on working on new sites (which is officially Tesla/Elon's claim, even though people here seems to disregard that completely).
Even if one were to stipulate that is what is going on here (I am not), firing "everyone" makes absolutely no sense in that scenario.

Nobody is ignoring Elon saying that they are still working on new sites. It's been brought up over and over.

It's that we're skeptical of that claim, given the complete lack of resources to do it, the fact that he's generally wrong when he tweets even on things that should already be an absolute (no, not every USA car got a free FSD trial), and because if he's so impulsive and uncommitted to SC's that he will fire the whole team over a tiff with Tinucci, then there is no way 6 hours later he has more than a "plan" to keep building out "critical" sites. He'll move on to the next shiny object (apparently that's going back to harassing "illegals" on twitter) and completely forget about superchargers, at least until the media starts highlighting some new person as being the savior of public DC fast charging and then he'll rage at that for a while.

Elon's had a "plan" for a lot of things, many of them never came true, so forgive us if we're not confident this time. And if his "plan" is to "hire back" people, then he's just an human being and an even worse manager.