Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Entire Supercharging Team Fired?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
News yesterday is that the entire 500+ person word-wide SC team has been let go. That is alarming. Why would Elon sack the execs and all the employees of this important part of Tesla's business? Could Tesla be selling the SC network off to a third party? Opinions? Other theories?

29226473368_d3a9e965d2_c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It probably isn't like other charge networks. It has much more use, much more efficient capital expenditure and lower maintenance costs.
This is balanced by much lower utilization (much more empty stalls). The other charge networks are sized to be occupied most of the time, Tesla isn't. Tesla also does more maintenance to have high uptime, while other charge networks can let equipment languish for weeks, if not months, unfixed.
If superchargers were a net positive financially, I'm pretty such it would be highlighted separately in the financial reports, but instead it is hidden together with other segments.
9 months of expenditures in return for decades of revenue from the chargers.
That revenue has costs: leasing the sites (which from the leaks, they do), electricity and other utility costs, costs of maintenance (the equipment very much does not last decades). Charge networks in general are a net money loser once this is accounted for, which is why most try to find other sources of revenue (like subscriptions) or for subsidies (government grants, penalties like VW funding EA, or private investments like Ionna).
That's short sighted thinking---the demand will continue to increase. How did Standard Oil get so big?
As above, high demand for a money losing product isn't necessarily a good thing. Also doing investments too well in advance of actual demand may have you reporting losses or reduced profits in your quarterly reports, which seems to be the primary concern of Elon at the moment.
Other automakers using your product is long term future recurring revenue. And their drivers are going to stations with big "Tesla" signs on them. The next step is to have minimarts near the big chargers---how the gasoline stations make money.

If Tesla needed financial partners the electric utilities are the natural ones---but this takes local negotiations.
The utilities have little interest in running charging stations, they have pretty much guaranteed profits from being a utility and charge networks have not been proven as profitable. What is more likely is government grants like the NEVI funding.

Reactions: Patrick66
How do you manage to spend that much time at "Random Parking Lots" charging?
There happens to be NEMA 14-50 receptacles at a local trail that I exercise at every day after work. There are also a few other free-to-me charging locations within walking distance of places I eat and shop around town. If I see a penny on the ground, I'm going to pick it up. :)

As above, high demand for a money losing product isn't necessarily a good thing. Also doing investments too well in advance of actual demand may have you reporting losses or reduced profits in your quarterly reports, which seems to be the primary concern of Elon at the moment.
Unless the issue with product demand is directly related to the fact that traditional consumers - your future customers since the early adopters have been saturated - won't buy your product unless and until the two primary blockers have been sufficiently remediated in the minds of those prospective customers - range anxiety and readily available and easily accessible public charging stations. Even for the early adopters - without the Tesla SC network - many of those customers would not have purchased Tesla vehicles. The SC network is almost definitively one the primary reasons that Tesla has been able to enjoy the success it has enjoyed to date - without it their success story would look very different over the past ten years. One investment precludes another. When you pull back on investments in the pre-requisite SC network that in turn enhances demand for your vehicles - especially to the next tranches of future customers:

1714675563244.png

Does anyone here really think this strategy is going to increase BEV adoption and increase the likelihood that traditional buyers - which start with the early majority above - are going to buy Tesla vehicles? The MSM is going to blast out articles indicating that Tesla is basically abandoning the SC network - it's already happening as of yesterday - and existing legacy manufacturers that initially signed on to adopt J3400/NACS are now considering backing away from their initial commitments - this is also in the MSM now - and quite a few influencers with connections (Kyle Connor comes to mind) are indicating it's only a matter of time until the first player rescinds - and then the Domino affect may start to fall in the other direction - away from J3400/NACS adoption. That may seem knee jerk to the innovators who tend to frequent forums like this - but rest assured this is a critical moment. Hopefully Tesla reverses course here sooner rather than later. Anyone who talks in terms of moats and such from an investment perspective, I mean that sounds really good in theory - until you realize that you're going directly against what your existing customers indicate they want from Tesla. Any company that somehow thinks that practicing ignorance with respect to customer experience and customer demand/satisfaction, to say nothing of prospective customer adoption moving forward, simply has misplaced priorities IMHO. It doesn't matter how smart Musk is - if he has lost touch with his customer base - which increasingly appears to be the case - that's a red flag that no one should ignore- especially when Tesla can certainly do both here - as I've repeatedly said - this isn't a startup company any longer - and many a very talented executive with great ideas has failed to successfully make the transition from the disruption phase into the adoption phase - and with decisions like we've seen this week - it's certainly possible Tesla may fail to make this transition if they continue to ignore their customers and continue to practice ignorance with respect to cannibalizing future customer demand by not focusing on what's necessary to eliminate blockers for future sales volume increases.

You may want to rethink that Hyundai IONIQ decision, I had my IONIQ 5 for 8 months, AC wasn’t working from the get go - 6-8 weeks to get that repaired - then winter happened and the heater wouldn’t work 9 out of 10 times. My point is, it was in the workshop for over 4 of the 8 months I had it. HMA bought it back, but 5 weeks after transferring back to HMA, my Hyundai Motor Finance account is still not closed, HMA only paid 2/3 of the account balance, and I’m still fighting with them to get it done before I’m 2 months overdue on a car I don’t own!

The dealer network also leaves a lot to be desired!!

Does anyone here really think this strategy is going to increase BEV adoption and increase the likelihood that traditional buyers.....
Elon does not appear to believe that people will even own personal cars once robotaxis are a thing. So he clearly does not care anymore about selling cars and about increasing BEV adoption, because he does not think there is a future in private car ownership. Of course this is all madness, but it is what his actions are consistent with. And yeah, I am thinking NACS adoption now has a decent chance of failure. It is a good standard though, so it has that going for it, and is thankfully not under the control of Tesla any longer.

Last edited:
Elon does not appear to believe that people will even own personal cars once robotaxis are a thing. So he clearly does not care anymore about selling cars and about increasing BEV adoption, because he does not think there is a future in private car ownership.
As much as I enjoy driving sometimes, most of the time I'd rather be driven to my destination.

The 20-minute drive to work every morning is the same as it has been for years. I'd much rather be napping, eating, watching a TV show, or reading emails, social media, or forums instead of staring at the same cars, trees, buildings, and roads that I've seen thousands of times before.

I don't like being required to pay attention for hours on end on road trips. I'd rather have the freedom of being a passenger.

I also think about the fact that my Tesla gets driven a total of one hour per day. The remaining 23 hours per day, it is just sitting in my garage or in a parking lot taking up space and doing nothing useful.

My Miata gets driven even less frequently - less than an hour each week while it remains parked inside a garage connected to a battery maintainer for the remaining 167 hours each week.

And, most of the time, I am the only occupant in either vehicle.

This is all terribly inefficient.

Federal funding was put on the table to convince Tesla to open up the SC network.

The owner of another EV brand vehicle tries to DCFC at non-Tesla networks and has mixed results in terms of reliability and pricing...the same person goes to a SC station and get prompt charging at a competitive rate... surely this has to influence that owner when they decide to purchase their next EV? But possibly not now, and Elon seems to periodically go out of his way to turn off the people most likely to purchase an EV.

Elon purchased Twitter via a late night tweet where he offered at least twice what Twitter was worth; basically he took ~$20 Billion, put it in a hole and then burned it...

Elon does not appear to believe that people will even own personal cars once robotaxis are a thing. So he clearly does not care anymore about selling cars and about increasing BEV adoption, because he does not think there is a future in private car ownership. Of course this is all madness, but it is what his actions are consistent with. And yeah, I am thinking NACS adoption now has a decent chance of failure. It is a good standard though, so it has that going for it, and is thankfully not under the control of Tesla any longer.
I get that - in a previous post I all but said - do both. It's too risky to bet the entire business on a singular vision. Even if FSD were to somehow become L4/L5 capable next year - it will still take years for any robotaxi network to be built out and to replace personally owned and human driven vehicles. Likely many years. People aren't simply going to give up their existing personally owned vehicles overnight. Over a period of a couple decades - we would likely see a transition from personally owned vehicles to TaaS - but that would start in heavy urban areas where car ownership isn't as common to begin with - and it would take quite a while to spread across the entire country. Even with that, personally owned vehicles would still be a thing, just like classic cars are today. It's never going to go away completely. I almost get the sense that Musk is placating his investors - telling them what they want to hear - which is a nice way of saying he's lying - about future development of new models - meanwhile he's going all-in on robotaxi/TaaS. Do both. It's way too risky for a $100bb company to take any other approach IMHO.

I have still not seen a sourced credible explanation of why the Supercharger layoffs were done and how it might constitute a good idea for Tesla and the larger EV project. A reliable, easy-to-use, quickly-expanding, Supercharger network was a significant reason that I bought a Tesla 4 years ago and it is more important than ever to the larger EV transition now that other manufacturers have signed on for access. Given the reliance placed by Tesla drivers on this system, I do think that better communication about the future of the Supercharger network now would be responsible on the part of Tesla. Certain other decision-making by Elon Musk over the past few years has been subject to question (rightly subject to question, in my view), but the viability of the Supercharger network has never before been open to doubts. Now it is. I must say that in the absence of an explanation, my confidence in Tesla is shaken.

Last edited:
I'm no fan of Musk's various decisions, but perhaps Tesla is looking ahead at lots of Federally funded fast charging stations using their NACS plugs and decided to go with that.

That's unlikely to happen in the waning days of the current administration, and it certainly will not happen if the other side wins the next one. Don't count on federal money coming to the rescue.

Twitter, then robot building in car factories, robotaxis and revealing FSD for a month to all of us to discover what a dangerous POS it is used in rural America.
I do not even want to imagine arriving to a SC near two major highways intersecting to find 8/15 bays not working. Good thing all moving to NACS but until then I still have the adapter and EA, Chargepoint, and EvGo apps on the phone.

Imagine that Elon took a hard look at how the SuperCharger team was running, and was not pleased.
Instead of working through all the unacceptable employees, management and proceedures, he decided to start fresh, with a different approach. Supercharging is one of the Crown Jewels of Tesla. It needs to be better than what the current team was accomplishing.
It's far easier to believe Elon flipped his gourd. The Tesla Superchargers are widely and universally regarded as the gold standard for EV charging and responsible in large part for Tesla's pace of adoption so far. There's an external benchmark for success here that we all can see ... and it does not warrant an entire purge of the team. And it would be one thing if this was just some big bet that went south. But no ... supercharging is a bedrock fundamental reason why people decide on Tesla. Any appearance of pulling the rug on that is foolhardy and a massive unforced error.