Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Entire Supercharging Team Fired?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
News yesterday is that the entire 500+ person word-wide SC team has been let go. That is alarming. Why would Elon sack the execs and all the employees of this important part of Tesla's business? Could Tesla be selling the SC network off to a third party? Opinions? Other theories?

29226473368_d3a9e965d2_c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I have whiplash. Are the superchargers a priority or not ?

Sounds more like Elon knows he F-ed up big time, hammer on thumb, shot his foot, tunnel carpel syndrome, cracked his phone screen from excessive tweeting, bounced his check.

Look on bright side, Elon is now an Oxford Dictionary entry, under "Dumbsizing".

As he said from the beginning, he never planned to stop expansion. It appears that there was just a team that wasn't working like he thought it should, and the director/manager was pushing back and refusing to address his issue. So, he stepped in and started making changes.
IMHO Elon was giving conflicting goals: Expand the network, but rapidly cut the workforce.
Rebecca Tinnucci likely was saying this was too aggressive cutback for goals, needed time to finish up existing plans, and Elon simply would not listen to, consider alternate drawdown plans.

It's entertaining that the action movie trope showed up in this thread.

The terrorist is threatening the scientist to give him the secret formula. The terrorist starts shooting hostages to force the scientist to comply, and then blames him: "How could you do that? Why did you make me kill all those people?"

It's just as eye rolling here as it is in those movies.

So I stand by my assessment that Elon's firing of the entire SC team was a terrible, verging on catastrophic, unforced error; one that Tesla will come to heavily regret.

Tesla can rebuild the Supercharger team, and even show incremental progress and growth.

But we will never know how much progress was lost in the chaos.

And here it is. Elon is hiring back people after his highly planned firing of everyone as part of a well thought out strategy of punishing people for being disloyal:

Discuss.

Last edited:
And here it is. Elon is hiring back people after his highly planned firing of everyone as part of a well thought out strategy of punishing people for being disloyal:

Discuss.
Called it in the beginning of the month. He pulled the same thing for Twitter. As I mentioned back then, if the labor market is bad (meaning other companies are also doing layoffs), the rehire strategy can work. If the job market is booming, people won't want to come back. If they were successful rehired, that means perhaps the job market isn't really doing that good.

It's much more than just a shape difference. One of the significant innovations of NACS was that it uses the same physical pins for both AC and DC, whereas no previous connectors (including CCS) had attempted to do that. That's part of what allows NACS to have its compact form factor.
Well thats part of the plug shape. I should have said plug shape/pinout or whatever but it is the plug interface (minus communication).

Most would argue its silly to use the same pins for AC and DC from a safety and risk mitigation standpoint but its what we are going with in NA. I wouldn’t say no other connector tried, its more why would you want to. It gets even more strange of a choice for V2G connections but I suppose with enough safety checks its fine.

The more compact shape is nice, but I never have found the CCS connector ridiculously bulky. Seems similar to a current petrol/diesel nozzle to me.

• Disagree
Reactions: gt2690b
Called it in the beginning of the month. He pulled the same thing for Twitter. As I mentioned back then, if the labor market is bad (meaning other companies are also doing layoffs), the rehire strategy can work. If the job market is booming, people won't want to come back. If they were successful rehired, that means perhaps the job market isn't really doing that good.

Nah, I bet BP and all those other companies are willing to pay more to get all those secrets from Tesla!
This is a certified GIFT to Tesla competitors.

Reactions: priyadar and MD70
Well thats part of the plug shape. I should have said plug shape/pinout or whatever but it is the plug interface (minus communication).

Most would argue its silly to use the same pins for AC and DC from a safety and risk mitigation standpoint but its what we are going with in NA. I wouldn’t say no other connector tried, its more why would you want to. It gets even more strange of a choice for V2G connections but I suppose with enough safety checks its fine.

The more compact shape is nice, but I never have found the CCS connector ridiculously bulky. Seems similar to a current petrol/diesel nozzle to me.
Why is using the same pins for ac and dc a safety issue?

Tesla can rebuild the Supercharger team, and even show incremental progress and growth.

But we will never know how much progress was lost in the chaos.
As I assumed earlier, this really looks more and more like a house clean-up after a big internal department-wide f..-up such as kickbacks, for example. If that is true, then the entire thing can be overall a positive damage control, and we'll not likely to ever know. Again, based on a tip from a professional auditor and exec (not related to Tesla), this is not a unique pattern of events for a corporation.

Most would argue its silly to use the same pins for AC and DC from a safety and risk mitigation standpoint but its what we are going with in NA.
Like others, I'm not seeing why it's a safety issue to share the pins. The two pins are never energized at the same time anyways, so having separate pins doesn't really give you anything. The only reason why CCS ended up that way was because the standards bodies didn't plan for DC and ended up having to slap on DC pins to J1772 (and Type 2). It was better than having a whole other DC connector (like CHAdeMO proposed and what China is using), but it's still not a good design. Having the extra DC pins means that when AC charging, you need that flap to cover them, otherwise you have exposed pins which can get dirty or wet.

It's akin to USB 3.0 micro-B, except worse (the relative footprint actually is more like USB 3.0 Type B). The industry eventually switched to USB-C and NACS is like that.