Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Epidemic of Model 3 small window break-ins

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This video shows some inward facing dash cam to catch break-ins.

It looks like the camera itself was stolen (but video uploaded?). Having an extra camera might attract a break-in on its' own.
The problem is that it is only a misdemeanor if the thief gets caught. If you show the video to the police they are not going to do anything or even go after them in California. Basically they just have to show up to court and pay a fine, so there is really not much law enforcement incentive to do anything about it. So adding a camera like this will only result in having the camera stolen in addition to having your window smashed in.

berniedonatello 9 months ago
i see this same guy all the time. every night for years he walks around at night peeking into cars, breaking into cars, go thru people's work trucks, etc. he wears the same dark jacket, same cap, and walks around with a bike every night. the bike is different all the time, but always with a bike. i've even watched him in action while im sitting in my car. i was so fed up one time that i called sfpd, explained to dispatch that the guy's peeking into cars and going car to car lifting car door handles, and to have a unit come out. they said they won't come out unless he is actively breaking into a car. actually i've given hope even to sfpd as ive called them on other suspicious activities and they didn't respond. as for the guy on your camera, i've followed him one night in my car and saw him go into an apartment by dolores park. i just need him to spend more time inside a car for me to get enough time to convince sfpd to send a unit out.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
SMAIset, good points. How about alerting the media too. I don't mean just at a break-in, but about the businesses in the area where the break-in occurred. Tell the media that "we ain't gonna shop here any more". Put that on TV a couple of times. This issue is not getting the visibility it needs or deserves.

Also, it appears that gangs have minors doing some of this which would keep their names out of the press, and likely have even less chance of any kind of charges being filed.

We may need a device that can be attached to the seat fold-down buttons... Something like a mouse trap, but with very sharp teeth, that would come down on the perp's fingers like a guillotine. Ideally with a nice strong current to add some electro-shocking and maximize the pain. And possibly collect some blood along the way for DNA matching.

Thinking about this makes me so mad... This has gotten way out of hand, and the authorities won't do anything about it.

A more realistic approach would be to fold down the rear seats and have an LED light that illuminates the empty trunk, making it easier to see that it's empty.

In the long run, there must be locks on the rear seats that thieves can't maniuplate. And perhaps Tesla can develop a shatter proof replacement glass piece. Lastly, let's have some integrated cameras that monitor the car's surroundings whenever there is sound or movement while parked.

Reactions: wenkan
What good is your mouse trap going to do you? The damage is already done when they break your window before sticking their fingers in your mouse trap. You think they would not hold you accountable too?

You really think that a "steel" glass window is going to stop them? What's to prevent them from breaking a side rear or front window too when you bite their fingers?

Biting them is not going to stop them from doing it to another Tesla. What are you going to do? Put a neon sign on your roof or window telling them you have an mouse trap with teeth inside? You think they will believe you?

You need prevention/deterrent not punishment.

Status
Not open for further replies.