Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Epidemic of Model 3 small window break-ins

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We need laws that allow us to defend our property if the police don't want to do anything about it. Laws like they have in other states.

These guys will get what they have coming to them. Not everyone obeys the law either, the criminals obviously don't. How does that saying go?

Dead men tell no tales.

In California your allowed to use deadly force if your in fear of your life and you reasonably use deadly force to prevent that from happening, as long as it was no more force than necessary.

Unfortunately catching them is the hard part.

Last edited:
Reactions: wenkan
We need laws that allow us to defend our property if the police don't want to do anything about it. Laws like they have in other states.

These guys will get what they have coming to them. Not everyone obeys the law either, the criminals obviously don't. How does that saying go?

Dead men tell no tales.

In California your allowed to use deadly force if your in fear of your life and you reasonably use deadly force to prevent that from happening, as long as it was no more force than necessary.

Unfortunately catching them is the hard part.
In a Texas, if someone is breaking into your car you can use physical force during the day, deadly force at night. I’ve lived in Houston 40 years and never had a breakin.

Reactions: Glamisduner
A more realistic approach would be to fold down the rear seats and have an LED light that illuminates the empty trunk, making it easier to see that it's empty.

It is only easier to see that the trunk is empty if.... the trunk is empty. A car that cannot transport cargo is worth almost nothing to me (and maybe one or two other car owners). Though this is a *really* popular "solution"... for me, this is not a realistic approach to the problem.

That said, I do agree that if you have nothing to steal, that nothing will get stolen.

Last edited:
Reactions: EV-by-the-Sea
There are some logical and reasonable answers to the problem at hand. And since my own experience with a smash-and-grap this weekend, I've done almost nothing but study and think on the specific problem we have with the Model 3 (Full disclosure: I also drank some beer and ate fresh Dungeness crab). And I have to say: I'm getting tired of all the "You're an idiot for thinking that will work! Give up! California sucks! Only this one thing will be effective!" type comments. Where are the constructive, thoughtful comments beyond moving out of CA, never parking in the Bay Area, and keep nothing in the car?

I will create my solution. I'll hope, and then subsequently ensure that it works. And then.... sadly... I'm unlikely to share it publicly because that will partially defeat the effectiveness for me personally. My plan will first ensure that the contents of my trunk are secure (yes, even against prying the trunk lid latch open.) Nothing can be totally secure, but what I plan will require effort well beyond what I've seen from the (literally) thousands of thefts that I've studied. The most difficult part is to still make access easy for ME. The second part of the plan is to make breaking the most common glass difficult, if not impossible to accomplish with a center-punch. And if it is shattered, to slow down the entry. I want to keep the thieves entertained, but not let them really accomplish much. In the end, I'm willing to give up the glass, but I'm not willing to give up the contents of my trunk. Let's be honest: I keep some *really* nice damp, moldy bath towels back there that would be tough to replace! Nasty gym shorts too.

In the meantime I'll continue to work on a more universal, public solution. And more than one reliable source has mentioned that Tesla really is working on some better security measures for the 3.

Reactions: SJC3
Quote: “Vehicle break-ins are down 16 percent this year and police have made 31 percent more arrests compared to 2017, [San Francisco Police Chief] Scott said.”

So even without a change to the law, car break-ins are down. Interesting.
All of these statistics need to include the modifier "reported." Reported break-ins may be down. We will never know how many there actually are. Mine will not be included in that statistic as I don't wish to waste everybody's time on a report.

• Informative
Reactions: wenkan
Quote: “Vehicle break-ins are down 16 percent this year and police have made 31 percent more arrests compared to 2017, [San Francisco Police Chief] Scott said.”

So even without a change to the law, car break-ins are down. Interesting.
Those signs people are leaving in the windows must be working. Or maybe people are transporting nothing and are leaving the backseats down so people can see they have nothing.

The problem is that the punishment needs to surpass the crime committed.

If the punishment for snatch and grabs was castration, I would expect to see a huge drop in crime very quickly :)

Car Break-Ins Hit ‘Epidemic’ Levels in San Francisco

Breaking down San Francisco's car break-in epidemic

ca-break1.png

Has this been reported in any other state other than CA?

[ Phoenix, AZ ] :
:Thieves smash-and-grab from car at popular Valley trailhead
Companies that fix smashed glass say they are seeing more customers are theft victims.
"Very often, a couple of times a week," said Scott Fernicola, owner of Premier Auto Glass. "We been serving the Valley for over 20 years and the last couple of years it’s really gone up a lot compared to before."

[ St Louis, MO ] :
Car break-ins are so bad they're part of St. Louis culture, like baseball and barges
...car break-ins have risen 28 percent so far this year (2017), the largest increase of any of the more common crimes...

[ Seattle, WA ] :
Police allow car break-ins to become a Seattle growth industry
...If your car gets broken into, there’s probably no point in calling the police because they won’t do anything....
There’s a silver lining, my glass repairman said. The glass-repair business is booming....

[Portland, OR ] :
Auto glass repairmen say most business now comes from car break-ins

Last edited:
Indeed. Why take the trouble to report it when you know with certainty that the cops won't do anything. Just a waste of time.
Well, after calming down a bit, I did decide to make the report for a few reasons.

I hear so many people saying "there are 80 of these happening every day in SF." And what they mean is that there are only 80 *reports* of this happening in SF. If I don't report this, mine is not counted, and the problem doesn't seem as dire. I can't even fathom how many don't report this... as I was about to do. It is too bad that this is going to take a police officer's time (they need to call and verify, then file it away for safe keeping, I guess). I'm doing it just for the data point.

Next is that statistics and data play such a large role in much of the work I do, that it was actually silly of me to avoid making this report. To make it more pathetic, I actually work in my PD in the area of theft and know first hand how important the statistics are for resource deployment.

And here's what I learned about making an online SFPD report.
1. It isn't too onerous. If you know all the answers, it could be done in five minutes.
2. It is really difficult to answer the questions accurately. In my case, this was clearly an attempted car burglary. But the options are burglary where something was taken, and vandalism where something was broken. Well, this wasn't just vandalism like slashed tires or keyed paint. It was an attempt to steal.... so how to report accurately when a burglary has to involve missing property. They didn't take much of the glass with them...
3. If reporting vandalism, it is easy to report broken glass. If reporting theft, there's no option to report the loss being the glass. But if reported as vandalism, the statistics are wrong.
4. You must choose a vehicle brand. Tesla is nowhere on the list, so I must use "other." Apparently this form hasn't been updated for eight years or so? Considering how many Tesla reports they're now receiving, I think it is time to update.
5. In the info you read before making a report, it is clear that nothing will be done, and that they consider this just an official way to submit a police report so you can hand it to your insurance co.

Status
Not open for further replies.