Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EU finalize and deliveries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
VIN != Delivery Date
This is only some production batching going on, has nothing to do with the actual delivery date.
Just wait and see, I'm sure Tesla will stick to the reservation sequence the best they possibly can.

I got a call now from Tesla after asking about the situation with the assigned VIN and got confirmed what others already mentioned, the allocation is a complex process and has nothing to do with the delivery date.

I kept further asking about when finally my car is going to be delivered, and I was told that by end of this month it is going into production and will then be shipped. Due to lack of experience with the shipping time she said it might be end of July or beginning of August when I shall receive the car.

I talked to Tesla Europe today and they told me that my car with EU Res:366 will not arrive in July. More likely August. It has not yet started production, even if it has a VIN assigned.

At the same time they confirmed to me that european cars will have a menekes-type2 connector on the car itself. So not the proprietary tesla connector that US uses.

- - - Updated - - -

In addition 20-30 days in factory production....Shipping length unknown yet.....

For European deliveries, is Tesla taking payment at the very end at time of delivery, or requiring it up front before the car is shipped?

We only have to pay just before taking delivery, same as in the US. Tesla has stated in its Q1-statement that the 500 European cars it plans to produce in Q2 (this month) cannot be booked as revenue in Q2, as they will be in transit and are not paid for yet. That's another good thing of the $1 billion funding round; it's easier for Tesla to finance those cars.

Are you sure about the number (500 cars)? I can't find any reference to that neither in the quarterly report nor in the Q1 2013 earnings call transcript.

DonPedro is right, it was mentioned in the Shareholder Letter:

"While we expect to build about 5,000 Model S vehicles in Q2, some cars will be in transit to Europe for start of deliveries in Q3. As a result, we expect to deliver slightly over 4,500 vehicles during Q2, all in North America."

The difference is 500.

strange is that Q2 ends in june. That means that 500 need to be shipped in q2 but I have #366 but my car is not yet produced and will be produced in july. So something has changed between shareholder letter and now. I assume that elon wants to beat q2 forecast and produces all european car in july. in july there is no Q impact.

It's also possible that the euro-spec cars simply aren't ready yet and that they need an extra 2-3 weeks. Note how long it took to get any kind of detail on the charging system and the complete lack of information about the parking sensors, to me this suggests the possibilty that Tesla hasn't finished testing the euro-spec cars.