Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EU finalize and deliveries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Real tests still lie ahead for Tesla

By Richard Waters

A few years ago, Bill Ford, scion of the automotive dynasty, was politely scathing about electric car company Tesla Motors.

The two-seaters it was turning out at the time, based on bodies produced by Lotus, were certainly eye-catching. But according to Mr Ford, building a fully fledged car company – mastering everything from global supply chains to the handling of regulatory agencies around the world – was simply beyond the reach of a start-up.

This month, as Tesla’s Model S electric sedans start to roll off the boats in Europe, he might want to reconsider. The vehicle, which went into full production late last year, has quickly become Silicon Valley’s favourite status symbol, a mark of the driver’s superior style, environmental awareness and tech savvy, all in one. The S is now ready for the world stage.

Tesla’s shares hit another high this week – at $13.6bn, its value has risen 250 per cent this year, making it worth nearly a third as much as giants such as General Motors and Nissan, and 50 per cent more than Fiat. But Elon Musk, the company’s visionary and pugnacious chief executive officer, still has a long way to go to justify such a frothy valuation.

To get this far, Mr Musk has benefited from some timely tailwinds. He inherited a car plant at a knock-down price in the depths of the car industry’s post-financial crisis depression. And the cheap capital he has just been able to raise, thanks to Tesla’s soaring stock price, is a self-fulfilling prophecy, carrying him over a yawning funding gap that loomed as he contemplated future models.

In fact, as long as Tesla’s shares keep going up, everyone is happy. Investors who just bought $600m worth of bonds that convert into Tesla stock at a 35 per cent premium have already come within a whisker of seeing the conversion price breached. The short sellers who flocked around the stock have been seen off, at least for now – short interest in the stock has fallen to 27 per cent of the tradable float, from nearly 45 per cent at the peak.

Government subsidies in the US have also been a boon. Selling pollution credits to other car companies that have yet to meet state-level rules for producing zero-emission vehicles netted Tesla some $17,000 a car in the first quarter – equivalent to 88 per cent of its gross profit. Its customers, meanwhile, get a $7,500 federal tax credit and assorted perks thrown in by state governments.

However, it is when the music stops that things will get interesting. Those zero-emission credits and tax benefits can’t be counted on indefinitely and won’t carry Tesla in the global markets into which it is now expanding, with deliveries to Europe this summer and Asia later in the year.

Mr Musk has been rolling up his sleeves for the hard work: refining the supply chain and knocking the glitches out of the production process to show that the S can turn a profit while stealing market share. From barely 2 per cent in the first quarter, he has vowed to lift Tesla’s gross profit margin to 25 per cent by the fourth, even without the pollution credits.

His bigger challenge remains what it always has been: to create demand for a plug-in electric vehicle beyond the early adopters. This means overcoming customers’ understandable resistance to a new technology. Above all, Mr Musk still needs to deal with the anxiety about range that many potential buyers feel when considering an electric car. Tesla’s battery innovations have pushed the range of the S well above 200 miles on a single charge, and Mr Musk has come out with a string of ideas for supplementing this such as rapid charging stations and battery-swapping centres placed on strategic routes. But introducing these rapidly in the markets he now wants to enter will prove a stretch.

With the Model S, Mr Musk at least has a bona fide hit: its styling and performance have won it both awards and enthusiastic reviews. The momentum should be enough to carry Tesla to the launch late next year of an SUV called the Model X – though, like Pixar in its early days, it can’t afford for any of its eye-catching first productions to be a flop.

Only after that comes a shot at the real prize: an electric vehicle priced for the mass market. This is where Mr Musk has always set his sights, and what justifies a share price that is 135 times even 2014’s expected earnings.

Tesla’s ability to break into the big league as the first mass-market electric carmaker is still a long shot. But betting against the persistent Mr Musk, as Wall Street’s short-sellers have found to their cost this year, can be a painful experience.

Richard Waters is the Financial Times’ West Coast Managing Editor
Cheers.

Well... Not sure that a journalist knows best where our cars are!

True, but I found the rest of the article to be very interesting indeed. Especially that part caught my attention:

Government subsidies in the US have also been a boon. Selling pollution credits to other car companies that have yet to meet state-level rules for producing zero-emission vehicles netted Tesla some $17,000 a car in the first quarter – equivalent to 88 per cent of its gross profit. Its customers, meanwhile, get a $7,500 federal tax credit and assorted perks thrown in by state governments.

However, it is when the music stops that things will get interesting. Those zero-emission credits and tax benefits can’t be counted on indefinitely and won’t carry Tesla in the global markets into which it is now expanding, with deliveries to Europe this summer and Asia later in the year.

Mr Musk has been rolling up his sleeves for the hard work: refining the supply chain and knocking the glitches out of the production process to show that the S can turn a profit while stealing market share. From barely 2 per cent in the first quarter, he has vowed to lift Tesla’s gross profit margin to 25 per cent by the fourth, even without the pollution credits.

I didn't know about that pollution credit thing and the actual amount (per car), which is a huge part of current gross profits.
Even with the current drastic price increase on certain options and service plans I can't fathom how that last sentence about the gross profit margins could possibly become a reality - unless Elon decides to raise the base price of the car quite a bit as well. Which I don't think he will do as that would surely kill off much of the post-early-adopter demand.

True, but I found the rest of the article to be very interesting indeed. Especially that part caught my attention:

I didn't know about that pollution credit thing and the actual amount (per car), which is a huge part of current gross profits.
Even with the current drastic price increase on certain options and service plans I can't fathom how that last sentence about the gross profit margins could possibly become a reality - unless Elon decides to raise the base price of the car quite a bit as well. Which I don't think he will do as that would surely kill off much of the post-early-adopter demand.

I have been pondering as well how Tesla Motors could reach that 25% gross margin in such a short time frame. Maybe it is the drastic price increase (besides optimizing the supply chain and the internal working process): The recent increases in price didn't take effect in Q1 regarding the revenue because the new price started with reservations on Jan 2013 and later (see here: 2013 Model S Price Increase | Blog | Tesla Motors). The same applies for the air suspension and the 21" rims. It seems to me that the non-US deliveries will add some more revenue because the price spread between US and European orders seems to cover a lot more than the extra shipping and assembling (in Germany they just changed the currency from $ to €, that's a 30% spread).

They are aiming to reach gross margins just like porsche and it stands to reason to do this with a similar price policy.

Add-on: Gross margin was at 17% in Q1, with the price increases taking effect in Q2 gross margin will rise to 19% on the low end and 22% on the high end. In Q3 the european deliveries will take effect on revenue and gross margin, add Asia in Q4 and we have a steady rise in gross margin to 25% excl. ZEV (IF everything else works nice and smoothly).

... in Germany they just changed the currency from $ to €, that's a 30% spread ...

Doesn't the German price include the VAT (19%) whereas the US price is tax free? I found the way Tesla calculated its European prices to be pretty fair: average exchange rate plus a few thousand euro for shipping, handling and the European distribution organisation. Plus ofcourse VAT, but that is something Tesla has no control over.

Doesn't the German price include the VAT (19%) whereas the US price is tax free? I found the way Tesla calculated its European prices to be pretty fair: average exchange rate plus a few thousand euro for shipping, handling and the European distribution organisation. Plus ofcourse VAT, but that is something Tesla has no control over.

My bad, You are correct! Subtracting german VAT there is a difference of $5,900 on the base model. Most of it will cover extra cost of shipping, assembling and distributing the cars in europe, but there might be a thousand dollar per car left to expand the gross margin (at least when the working routines in Europe are established and well-practiced).

My bad, You are correct! Subtracting german VAT there is a difference of $5,900 on the base model. Most of it will cover extra cost of shipping, assembling and distributing the cars in europe, but there might be a thousand dollar per car left to expand the gross margin (at least when the working routines in Europe are established and well-practiced).

I think there is also some import duty to be deducted. Not sure how much it is in reality as Tesla is already importing the car and battery pack separately, but I went through the import duty catalog a couple of month ago and I think it was around 7%. But as I said not sure about it.

On the other hand if I compare pricing for the Michelin Pilot Sport 2 they seem to be a lot cheaper in Europe than in the US. Maybe another potential for optimisation.

Also their European prices must include a safety margin to buffer fluctuations in the EUR/USD conversion rate. Those fluctuations can play out to their advantage or disadvantage, but in any case, they don't want to update their European prices more often than their American prices.

I think there is also some import duty to be deducted. Not sure how much it is in reality as Tesla is already importing the car and battery pack separately, but I went through the import duty catalog a couple of month ago and I think it was around 7%. But as I said not sure about it.

On the other hand if I compare pricing for the Michelin Pilot Sport 2 they seem to be a lot cheaper in Europe than in the US. Maybe another potential for optimisation.

It probably will depend on the kind of vehicle part but my hunch is the import duty should be around 4,5%. See here: TARIC Measure Information

You are right, there is also an import duty (I don't know if it's 4,5 or 7%. It would have been 10% if they had chosen not to do some sub-assembly in The Netherlands). And they probably hedged against currency fluctuations and that is not free for Tesla either. So all in all, I think Tesla has not tricked us (on price that is; the verdict on delivery is still out there).

With Fisker I had the opposite experience. They charged Europeans almost the same price in € (without VAT!) as they charged the Americans in $, so they took a 30% profit (or better: less loss) on that. And they didn't even have to pay import duties, since the car was being produced in Finland.

I thought it might interest some of you to know that five EU spec cars were delivered to the Tesla Shop in Oslo on friday. The user bb on the norwegian electric car associations web forum has taken some pictures of them.
http://elbilforum.no/forum/index.php/topic,8405.msg99916.html#msg99916
http://elbilforum.no/forum/index.php/topic,8405.msg99944.html#msg99944
Please note that the first post includes some pictures of older US spec cars for comparison, these start with the close up of the old style license plate holder. The one with TESLA in red lettering.

Reportedly these are to be used as demo vehicles and are not for delivery to customers. The lighting makes it a little ambigious, but the red is the new multi-coat red and not signature red.

Last edited:
I thought it might interest some of you to know that five EU spec cars were delivered to the Tesla Shop in Oslo on friday. The user bb on the norwegian electric car associations web forum has taken some pictures of them.
http://elbilforum.no/forum/index.php/topic,8405.msg99916.html#msg99916
http://elbilforum.no/forum/index.php/topic,8405.msg99944.html#msg99944
Please note that the first post includes some pictures of older US spec cars for comparison, these start with the close up of the old style license plate holder. The one with TESLA in red lettering.

Reportedly these are to be used as demo vehicles and are not for delivery to customers. The lighting makes it a little ambigious, but the red is the new multi-coat red and not signature red.
Thanks!

Even if these cars are not for customers, it shows they are actually producing EU spec cars.

Interesting to see some photos of the euro cars! I see no headlight washers, so either the cars that you can see without have just the halogen projectors, or there is going to be a bit of a run in with EU rulemakers?!

Looking forward to seeing these cars on the road :smile: