Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EU finalize and deliveries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did a factory tour on 6/28 and saw some finished europeans. I knew this because they said signature and I asked. Guide confirmed they have started and are doing final tweeking. He did mention that the front hood (or do you say bonnet) was too stiff and eu has some pedestrian safety issues regarding hood strength.

He did mention that the front hood (or do you say bonnet) was too stiff and eu has some pedestrian safety issues regarding hood strength.

That's strange. End of June a Swiss Tesla representative assured me that they passed all the required tests for immatriculation (is this the right word?) and that there were no issues left. I don't think there is a difference between EU and Switzerland, because we adapted pretty much to all EU rules.

I did a factory tour on 6/28 and saw some finished europeans. I knew this because they said signature and I asked. Guide confirmed they have started and are doing final tweeking. He did mention that the front hood (or do you say bonnet) was too stiff and eu has some pedestrian safety issues regarding hood strength.

That's weird. A bit late in the process to start changing the (strength of the) hood.

We just had some discussions in the German Tesla forum regarding how many have people have finalized their cars so far. It seems like it can be determined by the invoice number. Looking at that numbers it seems like only about 170 cars have been finalized in Germany up to now. The number is disappointingly low IMHO ...

So the few model S has to be on german streets to show the best car of the world. Germans are so conservative with their Volkswagen, Mercedes, BMW and they love Diesel ICEs.

I will do my best and drive the S on german streets as much as I can (Hoping for fast delivery :rolleyes:)

By the way: thanks to Norway, Swiss and the Netherlands for ordering thousends of Tesla S, germany will need more time to learn..

The German car industry unfortunately is lagging in bringing to market fuel-efficient cars. The government is too afraid to stimulate those cars as it might hurt their existing car portfolio (and thus endanger jobs), so it is trying to slow down or even torpedo any European moves for more fuel-effeciency, like was demonstrated last week when the German government killed the proposal to reduce average CO2-emissions per car.

As long as this entanglement of car industry and politics remains intact and the big German auto manufacturers only introduce opportunistic fuel-efficient cars (in order to be able to keep on producing very inefficient cars; which they are now being forced to do for the Californian market) this is not going to change and Germany will be the 'dirty man' of Europe, despite of its many solar panels and wind turbines). It's a pity.

- - - Updated - - -

We just had some discussions in the German Tesla forum regarding how many have people have finalized their cars so far. It seems like it can be determined by the invoice number. Looking at that numbers it seems like only about 170 cars have been finalized in Germany up to now. The number is disappointingly low IMHO ...

No surprise there. Looking at the excel-sheet with European reservations it's clear that there are a lot of Norwegian and Dutch customers and not a lot of German ones. They are at about 6-7%, just a bit more than Belgium.

I'm fine with the idea of driving a moderately exotic car in Germany for some time to come! :) And from a shareholder perspective it's good that Germany provides more opportunity for growth even after Norway, Netherlands and some other countries will be more or less saturated with Teslas...

One of the reasons for the car being less popular in Germany than say in Norway is the virtual absence of incentives. Chancellor Merkel says she wants a million electric cars, but the government is doing nothing towards that goal.

Add that to high utility prices and the economical viability of an electric car diminishes.

Most cars in this price range are bought as company cars paid for by employers. Many large corporations set a limit on how much a car can cost and the model S is out of that range.

Therefore it won't be easy to sell a lot of S in Germany.

What needs to be done:

- roll out SCs, possibly battery swap in Europe and Germany (Germany often take their family vacations by car)
- include amenities (improved cup holders, also for rear, rear entertainment ..)
- add gadgets like lane assist, adaptive cruise control and such (MS is a boys toy, after all)
- 4WD for winter conditions
- emphasis on the 'green' aspects