Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EU Market Situation and Outlook

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There isn't really room for anything else to have happened. Or can you come up with another scenario?

I can come up with several possibilities, but that wasn't ever the point and you know it. Had you refrained from the accusation of Tesla being half-assed and deliberately ignoring a market, as if you knew something that you clearly do not, the conversation would have gone entirely differently.

- - - Updated - - -

Since you know that you are right and that this is a piece of cake, taking my money is a no-brainer for you, correct?

I'm not motivated by money, nor do I wish to stoop to the particular level you've just embraced.

Certainly. The naive believe that all problems are solved is sad, but arguing against it only results in flame wars...

No kidding. Thanks for your post

- - - Updated - - -

Facts can often get in the way of the "true believer", which is why this species is able to simple argue facts away by sheer will power :)

- - - Updated - - -

Hey, I offer you a nice easy bet.

Any day before December 31st, 2017, the Model 3 ships to customers, I owe you 2 dollars. So let's say they ship December 1st, 2017, you get 60 dollars from me.
Any day after December 31st, 2017, the Model 3 ships to customers, you own me 1 dollar. So let's say they ship January 1st, 2020, you owe me 730 dollars.

Since you know that you are right and that this is a piece of cake, taking my money is a no-brainer for you, correct?

That's a fun bet and I'd like to take it, if you're willing. But for decency let's cap losses at either end to $1000.

It is a grievous mistake to think that. There were several reasons for Model X delays, least of all were the engineering feats that had to be attained. Once it became apparent the Model S was going to be wildly more successful than ever imagined, there was no rush for Model X to get to market to do what it was originally intended to, which was to generate money to advance the company. Model S has done that all on its own (SuperCharger Network, expansion of stores/SCs anyone?) and by doing so more time could be spent solving and perfecting further features (like AWD, autopilot), get them into the Model S for some real world testing and have them ready to rock and roll for the Model X, which will make it an even better vehicle than it was originally intended to be. Model X is going to blow the doors off anything and everything in its segment and surrounding segments. People will forget it was ever deliberately delayed.

Everything is done for the Model 3. Everything. No advancements needed. No engineering problems to solve or perfect. All done. It'll be a cakewalk compared to the S & X. It seemed the hardest decision for the Model 3 was just made recently, when it was officially announced by Elon that they'd go with a less wild design, saving that for the next iteration of Model 3.

But even more important and why there will be no delay, Model 3 is tied to the Gigafactory, and the Gigafactory is tied to partnerships with other companies. Model 3 will not be late like the Model X, because it can't be.

Where did you hear they are going with a 'less wild design' for model 3? I only see from interviews of Elon, even for this year the exact opposite.
This is good new for long term investors. Disappointing that even with all the press on Tesla such a detail gets missed.

Edit: Ok now I got it from the Q4 2014 call. It's reassuring that they wont take unnecessary risks.

Last edited:
To the UK market the Tesla looks quite boring (simply on appearance). I've got a p85d on order, I don't really care what people think of how my car looks. Most people I show it to are surprised it looks so plain/boring/generic saloon.

Plain and boring? I still have dozens of people stare at my car every single day, and I've owned it for 1.5 years already. It does help to take the 21 inch wheels and a nice colour (in my case Signature Red). The black, blue and grey ones stand out less. But white and red are real eyecatchers.

Plain and boring? I still have dozens of people stare at my car every single day, and I've owned it for 1.5 years already. It does help to take the 21 inch wheels and a nice colour (in my case Signature Red). The black, blue and grey ones stand out less. But white and red are real eyecatchers.

I'd argue black is eye catching when it's newly polished and freshly waxed... but it's a constant battle to keep it looking that way :(

My 10 year old Elise still turns more heads, and has kids pointing you out to their parents as you drive down the road. I Guess it depends what you want in a car.

Certainly. The naive believe that all problems are solved is sad, but arguing against it only results in flame wars...

Facts can often get in the way of the "true believer", which is why this species is able to simple argue facts away by sheer will power :)

Hey, I offer you a nice easy bet.

Any day before December 31st, 2017, the Model 3 ships to customers, I owe you 2 dollars. So let's say they ship December 1st, 2017, you get 60 dollars from me.
Any day after December 31st, 2017, the Model 3 ships to customers, you own me 1 dollar. So let's say they ship January 1st, 2020, you owe me 730 dollars.

That's a fun bet and I'd like to take it, if you're willing. But for decency let's cap losses at either end to $1000.

I am so divided on this issue. My reasoning aligns with dirkhh, but I am cheering for Johan to win (sorry dirkhh).

Maybe because Johan is the underdog in this bet (figuratively of course)

Mine was compared to a Mazda once :D

Tesla's designer came from Matzda. I think Matzda 6 and Model S are very much alike.

Charlie-Tesla-opticoat-pro-afters-24.jpg

2015-mazda-mazda6_100466567_h.jpg

Last edited:
I think the article is wrong in stating that it is important to beat the delivery number from March 2014. I think delivering 500-1000 Model S in Norway in March would be an excellent result. Of course, higher is better, but the record from 2014 is the highest number of delivered cars for any car model in several decades. To expect that Tesla will beat that again any time soon is very optimistic.

The number registered stood at 371 yesterday, and with 7 out of 22 working days remaining in March, the final number should end up somewhere around 544. That should make it the second most popular car in Norway in March. (After the VW Golf.)

Paris might become be an intresting market :

BBC News - Paris imposes car restrictions to fight pollution

"The city saw a severe spike in smog on Wednesday last week and briefly had the world's dirtiest air, AP news agency reported quoting Plume Labs, a monitoring company.

The mayor's office announced at the weekend that alternating number plate measures would be implemented on Monday, with exceptions for electric or hybrid vehicles as well as emergency vehicles"

City-based SuperChargers in Paris soon, following London's example ?
(I must however admit that The Model-S is 'rather big' for the narrow Paris streets).

On European sales :
On the Dutch speaking Benelux part of the forum I have seen a few mentions in the past weeks of the Tilburg site having a 'neck-breaking' number of P85D's being prepared for delivery. I have not been there myself, seen no pictures, so no proof. However the March Europe numbers might very well see a pretty good number of P85D deliveries.

Last edited: