Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

European SuperCharger rollout updated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A question to the Norwegians here.

This winter I would really love to see the Aurora and drive there with my Model S using the SuperCharger network. Netherlands -> Germany, Denmark -> Sweden -> Norway.

I see that currently two SuperChargers are under construction in the north and two are still are still on "Permit".

There is also a 380km gap between Mosjøen and Innhavet, something that I don't dare to drive in Norwegian winters.

Same goes for getting to Grong, but I think I can find a 22kW charging station in Trondheim and stay there for a day or so.

When does the freeze kick in there? Until when can they do any work on those SuperChargers?

When does the freeze kick in there?

Depends, in the South of Norway you can go all winter with "warm" temperatures of -2C and above 0 during daytime. But it can also get down to -15C...

Once you go North of Oslo, though, it gets much colder. Expect permanent negative temperatures from December onwards, and the further you go North, the further the temperatures drop, especially at night.

Don't know about stopping work on the SuCs, sorry.

- - - Updated - - -

A question to the Norwegians here.

This winter I would really love to see the Aurora and drive there with my Model S using the SuperCharger network. Netherlands -> Germany, Denmark -> Sweden -> Norway.

By the way, what are your plans for Germany and the "Hamburg gap"?

Depends, in the South of Norway you can go all winter with "warm" temperatures of -2C and above 0 during daytime. But it can also get down to -15C...

Once you go North of Oslo, though, it gets much colder. Expect permanent negative temperatures from December onwards, and the further you go North, the further the temperatures drop, especially at night.

Don't know about stopping work on the SuCs, sorry.
That's what I expected. I'll go prepared!

By the way, what are your plans for Germany and the "Hamburg gap"?
Charge at the Service Center, so travel during a week day.

There is also a 380km gap between Mosjøen and Innhavet, something that I don't dare to drive in Norwegian winters.

There are 22kW type2 chargers available in Mo i Rana and Fauske set up by the environmental organization Bellona, installation firm Sønnico and other sponsors. They might be free, or have some small cost.

More info:

http://www.ladestasjoner.no/hurtiglading/model-s-ladekart

Remember that the Dutch/continental European Tesla UMC will not necessarily work for schuko and blue sockets in Norway, but red sockets will work. And type2 charging will work just the same as for Norwegian cars.

If you plan to go after November 1st, remember that winter tires are required in Norway. The so called all-year tires which my Tesla came with are not recommended in Norway and Sweden in winter. Nokian Hakka R2 or Michelin X-Ice XI3 are recommended tires. Norwegians are sick and tired of foreign cars causing accidents and delays due to bad winter tires.

Same goes for getting to Grong, but I think I can find a 22kW charging station in Trondheim and stay there for a day or so.

22kW chargers at Inderøy and Namskogan.

The Tesla service centre in Trondheim is apparently getting an indoor supercharger within a few days. Don't know what the charging policy there will be, though.

Last edited:
If you plan to go after November 1st, winter tires are required in Norway. The so called all-year Continental tires which my Tesla came with are not recommended Norway and Sweden in winter. Nokian Hakka R2 or Michelin XI3 are recommended tyres. Norwegians are sick and tired of foreign cars causing accidents and delays due to bad winter tires.

True, I forgot to mention that. The all-season tires, from whatever brand, are useless in Norway. Nokian Hakka R2 or Michelin XI3, as suggested, are a must have if you plan to drive in Norway in winter. :biggrin:

True, I forgot to mention that. The all-season tires, from whatever brand, are useless in Norway. Nokian Hakka R2 or Michelin XI3, as suggested, are a must have if you plan to drive in Norway in winter. :biggrin:
Aren't even illegal to use in the winter in norway? In sweden they are not considered proper winter tires and are therefore illegal between dec1 and mar31.

There are 22kW type2 chargers available in Mo i Rana and Fauske set up by the environmental organization Bellona, installation firm Sønnico and other sponsors. They might be free, or have some small cost.

More info:

http://www.ladestasjoner.no/hurtiglading/model-s-ladekart

Remember that the Dutch/continental European Tesla UMC will not necessarily work for schuko and blue sockets in Norway, but red sockets will work. And type2 charging will work just the same as for Norwegian cars.
Thank you! I'm indeed aware of the UMC restrictions, I'll take that into account.

If you plan to go after November 1st, remember that winter tires are required in Norway. The so called all-year tires which my Tesla came with are not recommended in Norway and Sweden in winter. Nokian Hakka R2 or Michelin X-Ice XI3 are recommended tires. Norwegians are sick and tired of foreign cars causing accidents and delays due to bad winter tires.
I know :) I'm getting the Nokian Hakka R2 tires.

22kW chargers at Inderøy and Namskogan.

The Tesla service centre in Trondheim is apparently getting an indoor supercharger within a few days. Don't know what the charging policy there will be, though.
Great information. That should really help.

Aren't even illegal to use in the winter in norway? In sweden they are not considered proper winter tires and are therefore illegal between dec1 and mar31.

Unfortunately not illegal in Norway. However, if you have a car registered in Norway, and hence an insurance in Norway, the small print of the insurance will tell you that you either have winter tires on, or they don't cover accidents during winter...

First Supercharger above the Arctic Circle ! (430km /255 mi north)
Setermoen.jpg

First Supercharger above the Arctic Circle ! (430km /255 mi north)

This has this been listed since Oct 3 on Supercharger.Info by the municipality name of Bardu. It looks like Tesla has plans for Superchargers running the length of Norway. This should make for some very nice days of driving next summer with 24 hours of the sun spinning around the horizon!

Fri, Oct 3 2014 add Bardu, Norway construction​

Bardu.jpg

With the networks of Superchargers in Europe and North America getting built out, we may have to get serious about a Tesla swap clearing house for vacation trades across continents.

. It looks like Tesla has plans for Superchargers running the length of Norway. This should make for some very nice days of driving next summer with 24 hours of the sun spinning around the horizon!

With the networks of Superchargers in Europe and North America getting built out, we may have to get serious about a Tesla swap clearing house for vacation trades across continents.

Very nice days of driving indeed !
Here are a few pictures of my red Tesla in the midnight sun last summer.

Tesla Model S at Andøy, Norway - an album on Flickr

This has this been listed since Oct 3 on Supercharger.Info by the municipality name of Bardu. It looks like Tesla has plans for Superchargers running the length of Norway. This should make for some very nice days of driving next summer with 24 hours of the sun spinning around the horizon!
Fri, Oct 3 2014 add Bardu, Norway construction​

View attachment 62092

It's been on my mind for a while as well.... the ultimate roadtrip for most European Tesla owners would probably be in North America, and Vice Versa.....
Of course there are the challenges of Trust (the Tesla will for most people be the number 2 investment in their life, only second to their home?), sorting out differences in Insurance policies (there is a difference between coverages) and balancing the dates... but.... it might be a good idea to start a new topic to gather more enthousiasts......
Maybe "Gelden" can make a map similar to the "Tesla for Tesla" that he already made where private charging spots are shown in case of emergency?

It's been on my mind for a while as well.... the ultimate roadtrip for most European Tesla owners would probably be in North America, and Vice Versa.....
Of course there are the challenges of Trust (the Tesla will for most people be the number 2 investment in their life, only second to their home?), sorting out differences in Insurance policies (there is a difference between coverages) and balancing the dates... but.... it might be a good idea to start a new topic to gather more enthousiasts......
Maybe "Gelden" can make a map similar to the "Tesla for Tesla" that he already made where private charging spots are shown in case of emergency?

What information should the map contain?

What information should the map contain?

Basics would be private map where it is visibele in what area people live that are positive about changing cars for the holidays.....
At least a username from TMC forum so people can PM
But maybe others have ideas on this as well.....
And I think we need a topic to discuss challenges regarding Insurance etc. hoping there are experts among us....