Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV-CPO.com CPO Consolidator support thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since EV-CPO can detect whether a used or inventory car on Tesla's website has HW3 or 4, I'm curious if there is a way for me, as an owner of a new Tesla X (built in April), can confirm with 100% certainty that my car has HW4. The cameras appear consistent with HW4, but the software screen only says "full self-driving computer."

I paid for a month to upgrade my account to Level 4 premium in the hopes I could find my car in the archives. I wasn't able to narrow it down. If I provided the VIN, could you see if it is in your archive? Is there any other way to get the codes? Thanks in advance from a long-time friend of this tool.

On a related note, is there a reason why the configurator doesn't have an option for the 20" Cyberstream wheels for the Model X?

From a listing for a 2023 Model X
1684692176596.png

Options on the Wheels configurtor
1684692237592.png

Sure, PM me the VIN and I'll take a look. But if you enter it on the Option Code lookup page and it doesn't display, it's likely not in the database.

Also, didn't HW4 cars also eliminate the ultrasonic sensors?

On a related note, is there a reason why the configurator doesn't have an option for the 20" Cyberstream wheels for the Model X?

There are several new options I need to add to the interface which I can get to later this week. Thanks for your support!

Reactions: theflyer
Sure, PM me the VIN and I'll take a look. But if you enter it on the Option Code lookup page and it doesn't display, it's likely not in the database.

Also, didn't HW4 cars also eliminate the ultrasonic sensors?

There are several new options I need to add to the interface which I can get to later this week. Thanks for your support!
I did not see/notice the Option Code Lookup tool. Thanks for the pointer. I just tried it and got zero results. :-(

I did not see/notice the Option Code Lookup tool. Thanks for the pointer. I just tried it and got zero results. :-(
OK there's an easier way.
I'm pretty sure this is in a FAQ or something somewhere on this forum but here's a quick run down:
Using chrome for desktop (not mobile) go to tesla.com and log into your account. Open up (click on 'manage' ) your vehicle. Now click on "details" under the image of your car. A pop up window should appear with the list of options you have; but it's not exhaustive, and it doesn't include option codes. Right click on this pop up window, and select from the chrome-pop-up menu "view page source"
Now you have the HTML code for that pop up window of options for your car. press CTRL-F (for find in page) and search for the word, "options" it should appear only once. To the left of the word "options" is a list of option code strings. Each of which starts with a $ sign.
Copy all of them and paste them into the EV-CPO option decoder. Done. :)
Good luck

• Informative
Reactions: Krash and aerodyne
OK there's an easier way.
I'm pretty sure this is in a FAQ or something somewhere on this forum but here's a quick run down:
Using chrome for desktop (not mobile) go to tesla.com and log into your account. Open up (click on 'manage' ) your vehicle. Now click on "details" under the image of your car. A pop up window should appear with the list of options you have; but it's not exhaustive, and it doesn't include option codes. Right click on this pop up window, and select from the chrome-pop-up menu "view page source"
Now you have the HTML code for that pop up window of options for your car. press CTRL-F (for find in page) and search for the word, "options" it should appear only once. To the left of the word "options" is a list of option code strings. Each of which starts with a $ sign.
Copy all of them and paste them into the EV-CPO option decoder. Done. :)
Good luck
Very cool. Unfortunately, it still isn't clear. Current listings for HW3 cars on EV-CPO show something like APH4 AP 3.0 under Autopilot. HW4 cars show something like AP04 AP 4.0. The trick outlined above doesn't return those values. A google search says that the APF2 code seen below refers to the fact that I've paid for FSD; it does not convey anything about the version number of the hardware. It is also odd that it is saying the vehicle is a Plaid, when it isn't.

1684806947186.png

• Informative
Reactions: Krash
Very cool. Unfortunately, it still isn't clear. Current listings for HW3 cars on EV-CPO show something like APH4 AP 3.0 under Autopilot. HW4 cars show something like AP04 AP 4.0. The trick outlined above doesn't return those values. A google search says that the APF2 code seen below refers to the fact that I've paid for FSD; it does not convey anything about the version number of the hardware. It is also odd that it is saying the vehicle is a Plaid, when it isn't.

View attachment 940269
I'm not sure how else to find out, short of a visit to your local SC.
Are you sure those are all the codes? Seems like a short list.
Also for the plaid thing - EV-CPO doesn't have official definitions of each code; AFAIK they just use what is commonly understood as the definition. Based on a process of deduction and elimination. So MTX13 might refer to something about the chassis that is common to Plaids, but not exclusive to Plaids, and might have been a very short/rare build period where Tesla was doing this. You never know.
For example, there are some standard range "75" models S, that show up with a search for Long Range. It happens.
I will point out also that what the general public thinks are real option codes often aren't. For example, HW2.5 isn't a code. "APH3" is the option code for my car's AP hardware, which is what is commonly known as HW2.5: the upgrade from HW2, that gave it the NVidia graphics processor and a few other improvements (which in 2017 was thought to be the final hardware necessary for level 5 FSD, LOL). It's still called APH3 in the option codes. But if you type APH3 into the code decoder at ev-cpo, it spits back AP2.5!

EDIT:
Also, for example, my car has option codes that don't decode in the EV-CPO decoder:
1684863189098.png

So... it's not perfect.

Also for the plaid thing - EV-CPO doesn't have official definitions of each code;

I don't know what you mean by "official" as Tesla doesn't publish a master list of codes. We can only infer from the codes as they exist in the listings. In the case of MTX13, the first time it appeared was on a Plaid car, and all the MT codes are basically trim levels. So it's clear that Tesla now is using MTX13 for other non-Plaid cars. This is not uncommon -- the Tesla option codes are far from 'clean'. I've been doing this for nine years now, and the option codes are not internally consistent. Most are by examination ,but there are a lot of errors, too.

So please don't say "it's not perfect" - EV-CPO is only as good as the data Tesla puts out there, so 'garbage-in, garbage-out".

And as far as all the codes you circled, nothing in the listings Tesla puts out has never said what they mean. So again, if there's no data there, that's what EV-CPO displays.

But if you type APH3 into the code decoder at ev-cpo, it spits back AP2.5!

Yes, because APH3 means it could be either AP2.5 OR AP3.0. The codes are not detailed enough to tell the difference.

AFAIK they just use what is commonly understood as the definition. Based on a process of deduction and elimination

I'm sorry, but you clearly do not know nor understand how it works, so I'd appreciate if you didn't make comments like this. Thank you.

I'm sorry, but you clearly do not know nor understand how it works, so I'd appreciate if you didn't make comments like this. Thank you.
Hey man, chill out! Sorry if how I wrote my post wasn't clear, but IMO what I was trying to say is EXACTLY what you said. I am a fan of your site. Have been a paid member on and off over the years, and use it a lot for my own interests, and to send listings to friends who are interested. I know you are limited to what you can "infer from the codes as they exist in the listings" - this is exactly what I meant by "a process of deduction and elimination". I was only trying to explain that you are limited as to what you can decode from what has been shown in listings. IMO to "infer" is not very different from deducing, and eliminating other possibilities. If anything I think "deduction and elimination" is more exact and precise than just claiming "we infer this". For example, "we see code XYZPQ on both a 2021 Plaid, and a 2018 75, so we can deduce that it is not specific to either, and eliminate that possibility." But this is nothing more than a semantic debate.

To the main point: I think that @theflyer was possibly expecting too much from your site. My post with circles and examples of gaps, was not meant to be critical of your site or work, but rather just examples of what to expect, since - as you have pointed out yourself - the data for what various codes mean are limited.

We're on the same side of this particular topic.

Ok, sorry then. But I but a significant amount of time into the option codes and categories and decoding hundreds of pages of HTML and JSON to find the best option code definitions, so it's more work than just inference or deduction that seemed to be what you implied. I probably put more time into the option codes than anything else.

And yes, I do need to do a little catch-up on the veryt latest codes.

And thank you for your support.

Reactions: mongo
Ok, sorry then. But I but a significant amount of time into the option codes and categories and decoding hundreds of pages of HTML and JSON to find the best option code definitions, so it's more work than just inference or deduction that seemed to be what you implied. I probably put more time into the option codes than anything else.

I've had to deal with option codes from one of the Big 3...
Their own docs didn't get it right. Can't imagine trying to reverse engineer it.
Kudos sir.

All good.
I am not surprised at all that you've spent more time on option codes than anything else. It seems to me that knowledge of option codes is kind of the primary way that your site does what it does.

Best to you and I hope you keep the site going.

To the main point: I think that @theflyer was possibly expecting too much from your site. My post with circles and examples of gaps, was not meant to be critical of your site or work, but rather just examples of what to expect, since - as you have pointed out yourself - the data for what various codes mean are limited.
Not expecting too much. Rather, I'm just leveraging a helpful tool I've used for years to try and answer a question that has proved to be very elusive. I find it fascinating and frustrating that Tesla is making it so difficult to answer that question definitively.

My guess is Tesla is trying to delay backlash when it turns out HW4 and AP4 have no benefit without software still to be developed.
When it comes down to it, all that matters is whether you buy FSD or not. If you buy it, then they (for now anyway) say you will get any required HW updates to run FSD when it does go to general release. If you don't then you may need to pay for HW updates if necessary.

When it comes down to it, all that matters is whether you buy FSD or not. If you buy it, then they (for now anyway) say you will get any required HW updates to run FSD when it does go to general release. If you don't then you may need to pay for HW updates if necessary.
This is not true. There is no upgrade path from HW3 to HW4. Elon claims HW3 can still achieve self-driving and the difference with HW4 is not that great. I don't believe much of anything anymore, even while remaining optimistic about FSD strategically. I have a HW3 model S with FSD beta and now what I believe to be a HW4 model X so it'll be interesting to see how the situation evolves. It doesn't appear the X can yet get FSD beta, but it does have NOA using the original highway stack. TeslaFi is not showing any HW4 vehicles getting the new FSD push that went out yesterday/today to those that bought/subscribed to FSD but had yet to get the software pushed to them.