Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV-CPO.com CPO Consolidator support thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Simple.
If the Tesla is limited to $55K, then that means the ICE car is limited to $40K, as it will cost $15K extra over 8 years for the gas to drive the ICE vs driving the Tesla. It's tough to get anything nice in ICE for $40K compared to what you can get in a Tesla for a bit more than $55K.

Eh, she would love it if we spent $40k or less on a car or suv! Also, given our electricity rates, it will run me around $11.5k more for ICE.

Otherwise, you're preaching to the choir! I've done a variety of analyses to account for fuel costs vs electricity, and it has yet to work. It's so weird, since she's quite conscious about the environment, and has also realized that her car is no longer sufficient for hauling our family around. She thinks the "more affordable" Model 3 is the answer, but it's actually looking to be the same size as her current car...

Anyways, we shall see what happens this weekend. I'm looking forward to whatever Elon plans to announce on Sunday, and also her reaction to the ICE cars we check out.

I feel your pain. I'm limited (by wife) to a budget of $55k (no clue why, she just likes that number), and I'm probably going to end up with another ICE :(
We need the size of the S, and want the range of an 85, minimum performance of the P85+, and a 4 yr warranty, all for $55k. Can't seem to check all of the boxes, so we're ICE-hunting this weekend. Barf. Hopefully we fail, and I convince her to like the number $70k, as that opens up our options quite a bit.

If only the Model Y was being released instead of the 3...

Sorry for off topic commentary! Love your site Hank!

My CPO P85 has a 4yr / 50k warranty for $54k. It was never listed online, but pre-dated all the 2yr warranty cars that came a week or two after I ordered. Granted it's not a +, but it seems like there's hope. There are a few + at 58-60k if you can go up even a little.

I'm curious what your electricity cost and gas cost is in SD? Fuel savings + 3rd row seat (we have a 3 and 5yo) were all that was necessary to convince the wife. That and she's pretty environmentally aware / concerned.

Hank, great site. Thanks. I'm on it daily now, scouring and searching and trying different options to see what fits my budget on a CPO.

Question, and I apologize if it was asked earlier...is there a way to screen for solid roof cars? I see sunroof, glass roof, etc. I'm wondering if that option can be added?

Thanks!

Question, and I apologize if it was asked earlier...is there a way to screen for solid roof cars? I see sunroof, glass roof, etc. I'm wondering if that option can be added?

Thanks for your feedback!

Are you looking for "body color roof" or "black roof" or either?

I didn't include those originally as "must have" options because the overwhelming majority of cars have the Pano/Sunroof, and that's the option most people desire. I can certainly add "solid roof" as a "must have" option.

Ok, I've added both as "must have" options for Model S.

Last edited:
Hank,

Great site and I appreciate your responsiveness on this forum and in making changes to the site. This question is for anybody but I figured you may know and it seems relevant to the CPO process. I typically am looking at VIN numbers to determine which vehicle is "newer" in a given year but is there a way to tell the manufacture date or month from the VIN? If so, anyway to make advanced filters around key dates for things like folding mirrors, etc. the minor improvements that seem to be constantly occurring vs. the major items like AP1 vs 2. Thanks again for your help finding my Tesla.

Gavin

Thanks for your comments!

I'm sorry, but I really don't have any good answers for you. There's no way to infer production date (year/month) from the VIN or the option codes. The only way to do that is to (a) call Tesla and ask, (b) get access to the car and look at the VIN plate, or (c) find the original window sticker -- maybe other folks know of some other way? VINs are not assigned in production order, so a VIN built on Day X could older or newer than VIN+1.

In terms of other early options like folding mirrors or parking sensors you can search by individual option code (with a subscription), but again, not by VIN range or date cutoff. The only hard VIN cutoff I know about is the TPMS version at VIN 50900.

That said, this page might give you some insights on options and timings:: Model S - Options by Year - Tesla Motors Club Wiki

Good luck, and let me know if you have any other questions.