Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV trip planner

Would you use such a tool?

• Yes

Votes: 35 89.7%
  • No

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Maybe

Votes: 3 7.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whoosh! I'm not knocking the project. I'm talking about how someone posts a forum thread titled "EV Trip Planner", which almost all of us are already familiar with, but is referring to something else. There's obvious confusion there.

yes, in that case, just as I was confused, I agree the title needs to be updated.

Please OP do us the honors in clarifying your title of this thread.
thx

Now I recently discovered the site: EV Trip Planner

I am impressed, for an 18-19 year old CS undergrad, the site is really well built and helpful in general for EV trip planning.

I've interestingly been working on/off on a side project for the past 7 months related to optimizing EV trips. I'm kind of curious how much interest others would have in it... likely it will go on the back burner again since the Fall semester is quickly approaching (and as a CS professor teaching takes up my time while schools in session); however, if there is interest will definitely keep working on scaling it up for more than myself to use. Also, picked up some consulting work that starts next month, so working on things I get paid for takes precedence.

The biggest difference over the other planner will be it generates a path of which chargers to stop at (based on charger type and estimated charge rate) between start/end locations. I also had thoughts of then extending this to allow you to generate a computationally optimized road trip (multiple waypoints). Hope is it could be customized for different vehicle makes/models.

Current issues are speed as seemingly using free/open source mapping tools and trying to run the project on my laptop is not very feasible. Currently only working for US...

I am sad to report this message I received today, trying to get to EVTripPlanner.com:
"
This site can’t be reached
evtripplanner.com’s server DNS address could not be found.
"

I am sad to report this message I received today, trying to get to EVTripPlanner.com:
"
This site can’t be reached
evtripplanner.com’s server DNS address could not be found.
"
Me too. It's sad because EVtripplanner was the best choice. We now probably must wait for a new solution,or...

Just joined the forum and saw this thread. I actually started a company built around an EV trip planner back in... 2009-ish, if I remember the year right. Taking into account a full physics-based simulation of the vehicle driving, down to weather forecasts along your route and how crosswinds affect the vehicle, how (high resolution) terrain not just affects your power requirements but how those power requirements affect your powertrain efficiency, and on and on and on. Hundreds of attributes. The data was fit to test driving data from a Roadster. The final version before the company went under ran the simulation in all directions from your location and built up a polygon around the roads, and you could tell it to optimize for speed, range, or scenery (the latter built up using the GeoNames database). There was no supercharger network back then, so it was designed for single hops, mind you, and instead of showing superchargers, it added the (limited) lower-power charging sites plus RV parks, where one could potentially stop for up to 50A 220V socket (and of course contact numbers, local amenities, photos, etc, both for chargers and RV sites).

We contacted Tesla at one point, but were straight out told that they don't buy software from third-party suppliers and only do things in-house. Didn't even try the tool out. The furthest we got was with GM - we got the start of a joint project going, but I just ran out of money and totally burned out mentally. Lost a lot of money in that company :Þ The tool was initially developed to be free, but I had so many people that tried it out tell me how amazing it was and how I should start a company that I stupidly listened to them. I don't have a capitalist bone in my body....

I've been toying around recently with developing a new one, for Iceland - focused more on ahead-of-time planning rather than realtime planning. I have a lot of ideas that could improve it.

Reactions: GSP
I big part of EV trip planning is when and where you will stop to eat or use the restroom. This needs to be coordinated with your car's need to stop and charge.

It would be useful to be able to manually lengthen charging stops in the trip planner for meal stops. Then it could use the extra energy gained to recalculate how long you need to charge at "restroom only" stops.

GSP