Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Even if you buy no options at all, this will still be an amazing car!"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can get a Bolt for $8,500 right now and I would not get it over a 3.

Take some "same class" Luxury auto for 32k....

You will find yourself adding 5k,6k possibly to have LED Lighting and a GPS System. These are standard on the 3.

9 pages of discussion for what exactly? LOL

Eh? They're selling Bolts outside the local Costco in SoCal. Sticker price last weekend was $38,800.

That's a lot for an oversized sneaker only slightly less obnoxious-looking than the i3.

You might get a Fiat 500e off-lease for $4500 from a car lot but the only way you *might* get a Bolt for $8K is to lease it. And even then...

Eh? They're selling Bolts outside the local Costco in SoCal. Sticker price last weekend was $38,800.
He meant $8,500 off msrp, before tax credits.
This would be CA only though. I just checked my state of Colorado and they are advertising ~ $40k for the base trim.

Hmmm...
$35k Tesla, or $40k Bolt
Decisions, decisions.

Disclaimer: this is all for fun. I have no interest in the Bolt for myself

The CA pricing is attractive, so perhaps a Coloradan like me could buy in CA ?
Tricky and fraudulent, but here goes:
Fly to CA with a Colorado temp plate
Rent a truck and 4 wheel carrier to get the car off the dealer lot without paying CA taxes
Drop off truck and trailer, attach temp CO plates, and ...

Nope. No practical way to reach home in a Bolt. The CCS network + Bolt range is not enough.

Someone who is trying to upsell people. Elon would rather you buy a Model S/X than a Model 3/any of their future lower-cost cars.
I don't believe this is the case. I believe it's more about encouraging to buy something now to generate revenue vs hop on the back of the waiting list. In the future it won't matter what you buy. The Model 3 will be the major revenue driver for Tesla in 2018/2019. During the ramp up, though, they still need revenue.

Reactions: Jaff and Red Sage
So the Model Y will replace the 3 as Tesla's "bread and butter" car? Is it really expected to have significantly higher margins and higher production volume than the Model 3? It wouldn't seem to make sense that a crossover would sell more than a sedan. Where are you guys getting these Model Y expected sales numbers from?
Well, SUV/cross-overs are very popular, in the States, and more so in EU. Most in EU would like a hatch model, hence the Y will be 'killer' there. I have two 3 reservations, one might get converted to a Y.

So the Model Y will replace the 3 as Tesla's "bread and butter" car? Is it really expected to have significantly higher margins and higher production volume than the Model 3? It wouldn't seem to make sense that a crossover would sell more than a sedan. Where are you guys getting these Model Y expected sales numbers from?

Crossovers routinely outsell sedans in the U.S.

The little bit we know about the Y suggests it might be cheaper to produce, too. They're planning to build it on its own new platform, with a different low voltage (48v?) and only 10% of the wiring the 3 has (already vastly less then the S/X - signal over power network for everything?)

Elon said recently he expects the Y demand to be greater than the 3. Overall sedan sales are going down while crossovers are increasing.

SUVs are a bigger market share, but with tax credits gone at that point and brands like volvo, audi and jaguar making a push into electric vehicles (with a tax credit) over the next 2 years, I don't think tesla's demand for the Y will increase, unless they have something big up their sleeves.

Elon said recently he expects the Y demand to be greater than the 3. Overall sedan sales are going down while crossovers are increasing.

Is it really expected to have significantly higher margins and higher production volume than the Model 3?
Yes, remember that Model Y will be from alien dreadnought 1.0. It'll have even less wiring and be even more simple to produce in volume.

Production volume will increase when fewer humans are in the way. Also you don't have to pay the robots as much.

... until they become self aware and form a robot union.