Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Everything wrong with V11 update / user interface.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see you're the Tesla loyalist who consistently goes around this thread down voting every comment that is not 100% pro Tesla. Don't you have anything better to do?

That said, yes I did figure out how to get superchargers displayed on the map but I guess it was too hard for you to compute that previously this information was freely available for Tesla users at ALL TIMES. You did not need to click multiple times and go into submenus just to see SC locations. It was all there displayed on the map at all times. ZOOM in and you see SCs close to you, ZOOM out at the entire state or country level and you saw SCs all over everywhere. Simple! No Rocket science. And they had it that way cuz you know...an EV driver might need that sort of info handy and available easily? But hey if pressing multiple buttons is what floats your boat then you're the best candidate for this sort of "solutionism at its worst". Glad to hear you're enjoying the excessive button clicking with the V11 update just like my 2 year old does. He LOVES pressing buttons.
Dude you are so out of touch. Who needs to see a supercharger 500 miles away from your current location where you are driving? You only need to see those near where you are. If you want to see others where you are not, click navigate. Someone asked how to do it...I told them...they thanked me...get over it. As for down voting...I am only downvoting those that downvote me because they hate that I like the update. get a life

Given all I read and see so far, coming from a driver’s perspective (things that are related to driving should be easily accessible and intuitive), I think I am going to pass on this “update” until/if they fix the major issues.
The real question is: Does anyone know how to disable the update reminder that shows up every time I put the car in Park?

Not sure if it's been mentioned but:

Reversing out of my driveway, if I attempt to close the garage with the shortcut at the top, it completely loads the full screen menu and blocks the rear camera! Did anyone at Tesla even use the new GUI? This reeks of quickly throwing something in without fully story boarding the screens/buttons or user acceptance testing.

Screenshot_20211230-224127_Twitter.jpg

Stupid indeed. Who needs the a/c on with the heated seats? Dumbest thing I've ever seen.
Actually my wife does this. Has ac cranking out ice cold air whilst warming her back muscles with the seat heater set to max. She complains the Tesla seats are not hot enough or at least as hot as her Volvo. So there are some people with unusual requirements.

Regarding showing superchargers on the map. Can someone explain how to do this without using voice commands and whilst the car is already navigating to a destination and so the search bar is unavailable.

Tap the screen in an empty space on the map. Three icons on the far side will appear- stop light, a map pin, and a globe. Touch the pin icon and it'll show you all kinds of location names and icons, including chargers.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Many of the things you can assign now to a shortcut icon on the main screen are precisely the things you wouldn't mind if they where hidden on a submenu because you should not use them while driving anyway. But they hide things like heated seats or defroster you may need to use while driving... Also they removed for no reason useful information like LTE status, dashcam status and odometer that you could easily see at glance on the main screen. Well, I guess we should be grateful they didn't remove the time and temperature...

This is a car with nice entertainment features, but it's a car first, not an entertainment system first...

Last edited:
So, Elon eventually acknowledged that the new UI needs many improvements.

This is all the small things added in each update that made the previous version great. But, like the title of the thread says, everything is wrong with V11. I have the feeling that the wait will be very long to get something as usable as before.

Anyway. Happy new year... and enjoy the light show

Let me repeat the common responses I've received and/or read over the years:
  • You just hate change
  • You are shorting the stock
  • Elon knows best
  • You should be grateful for over-the-air updates and not complain
  • Go drive a Camry instead
  • It's still the best car out there, so hush
  • Let's see you do better
  • It's better than an X
  • You'll grow to love it
It sounds like the latest update is a real crap show, but in my opinion virtually every upgrade since I bought the car in 2015 has been a steady slide down hill.
All I can say is, get used to it. That's just how it goes.
Kavyboy-I love the car and have always loved the car. And I love change. But this update is so bad and so backward I hate getting into the car, knowing that what was intuitive and well thought out gave way to stupidity!

I haven't been here much for most of this year, but I'm making a special return appearance to tell you everything I don't like about V11. I'm sure I'll forget some things, so it'll probably take a few posts. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Tesla should be paying me as a consultant on their UI's before they release the updates. I'll tell them what they are doing wrong.

I downloaded V11 this morning (Merry Christmas!) and took one short drive and I already see numerous problems.

The TL;DR version - everything is either ok or needs to be put back how it was. I didn't see one single thing that I thought was an improvement.

One thing we've never had that we need is the ability to set the default headlight setting to OFF. For 3-1/2 years I've been getting in my 3, entering PIN to drive, opening Controls, and turning the lights off manually. I'm a big boy, I can decide for myself when the headlights need to be on.

The mileage / power and trip meters were removed from the bottom left and put in the Controls screen. Why? And then they removed the tenths digit from the trip meters! Now how am I supposed to know when I've driven a mile AND A HALF? Nice double fail, Tesla! Can't even swipe sideways in the bottom left of the screen to bring them up like they've been since I bought my car in May 2018!

Heater controls are different. Not really good or bad, but they didn't need improved.

That "customize" X at the center of the bottom edge -- there is NOT ONE THING in the available icons that I ever use. So it is useless to me. I play no games in the car, or caraoke, or web surf while driving. And I'm alone in my car 99.9% of the time, so no need to entertain passengers. Put the battery icon there, not just the energy graph which I almost never use. Put the trip mileage meters there.

The battery / charge icon opens into the Controls screen to show the battery now, instead of the old dedicated battery screen. That was a change we didn't need.

Turning the streaming channels off, like AP news or Comedy stations or whatever - I used to just tap the Phone icon next to the Streaming icon. Can't do that anymore.

I'll think of more the next time I drive somewhere later today. So far I see V11 as one big bad idea.

We should have the option to select which version of the UI we want. I jumped from 10.2 to 11.fail . There's more than enough memory in computers these days to store the different versions.
Another thing that changed. Didn’t use it often but when I did use the browser it was full screen. Now it’s half size. Not what I need. I think that’s a downgrade personally. I have a 2015 85D and MCU2. Most of the changes are useless for me and I find the previous layout of buttons and functions better than this upgrade. Bad upgrade Tesla.

Kavyboy-I love the car and have always loved the car. And I love change. But this update is so bad and so backward I hate getting into the car, knowing that what was intuitive and well thought out gave way to stupidity!
I'm not saying those are good excuses - just the opposite in fact.
As some encouragement, I'll say that I know how you feel, and that the sting does go away. But it does end the honeymoon.

Reactions: Wheely
I've got a lot of gripes about the new update, biggest of which is: why are the toast notifications so low on the screen now? I can barely see them, why did they need to be lowered? I have to take my eyes so far off the road to see what the car is trying to say.

There's a lot else I want to list out, namely:

• Why is the speedometer font so thin now? It shouldn't be that — it was perfectly fine before.
  • Why is the autopilot icon so small now? Why is it smaller than the headlight status icons (on, auto, foglights, etc)?
  • Why is dashcam saving now buried away? There are plenty of times where honking is necessary but I don't want to save a video clip (NYC). Sometimes I witness an accident and would like to save it to hand to the parties involved.
  • Why does HVAC need to turn on in order to control seat heaters? Tesla's official documentation use seat heaters as a method of efficiency heating yourself without the use of HVAC. I understand the workaround, but it shouldn't be a workaround.
  • Why are side streets nearly invisible in dark mode? It's so difficult to navigate at night now because of the lack of visibility.
    • Inversely, the darkness of the satellite map at night is really nice! Previously it was way too bright and blinding, it's nice that it's tinted. However, this shouldn't cary over to the regular map.
  • Why are music favorites no longer global? Why does each source maintain its' own favorites list now? I miss being able to just switch between FM stations and streaming stations easily. It's way more cumbersome now.
  • Why does dismissing screens now require a swipe down gesture? We used to have an 'X' button to single-tap get rid of a menu. Dragging requires more time away looking at the road.

I have driven around all day on v11.0

I have discovered some workarounds: Wiper Menu is available by pressing the button on the turn signal stalk. Lights Menu is available by pushing the turn signal stalk forward. A shortcut to a mini AC menu is press the < or > at the left or right temperature control. But it sure is all a fiddle.

The profile menu being hidden is shite. My wife has little to no chance of finding it. In fact it is back to the drawing board for her and the car.

The space along the bottom for the icons is appallingly optimised. So much wasted space, and a wasted opportunity. Two temp controllers... an inelegant solution. Let me customise the bottom of the screen. Four icons is not enough.

I like the Nav Screen layout. However, i miss the zoom buttons. I like the coloured icons, but I know not everyone does.

Overall I see no real advantage to the user in any of these changes. It is a less safe interface, because too many items require multiple presses, and that means your eyes are off the road for longer.

Change for change sake is not progress.

Not sure if it's been mentioned but:

Reversing out of my driveway, if I attempt to close the garage with the shortcut at the top, it completely loads the full screen menu and blocks the rear camera! Did anyone at Tesla even use the new GUI? This reeks of quickly throwing something in without fully story boarding the screens/buttons or user acceptance testing.
Close it with the huge button bottom left that automatically pops up...that way you don't block the screen...

Reactions: ALSETJC
I have driven around all day on v11.0

I have discovered some workarounds: Wiper Menu is available by pressing the button on the turn signal stalk. Lights Menu is available by pushing the turn signal stalk forward. A shortcut to a mini AC menu is press the < or > at the left or right temperature control. But it sure is all a fiddle.

The profile menu being hidden is shite. My wife has little to no chance of finding it. In fact it is back to the drawing board for her and the car.

The space along the bottom for the icons is appallingly optimised. So much wasted space, and a wasted opportunity. Two temp controllers... an inelegant solution. Let me customise the bottom of the screen. Four icons is not enough.

I like the Nav Screen layout. However, i miss the zoom buttons. I like the coloured icons, but I know not everyone does.

Overall I see no real advantage to the user in any of these changes. It is a less safe interface, because too many items require multiple presses, and that means your eyes are off the road for longer.

Change for change sake is not progress.
The wiper 'workaround' as you call it, was there in v10 too. Regarding 'all the fiddle' about the temps mini screen...hitting temps up and down is the same as v10. Easier just to swipe up from the bottom of the screen and access all of it. You don't like 2 temp controllers? My passengers do...they can control their temp/seat heaters etc without having to lean over. As for accessing profiles, surely its just a question of showing your wife? I actually didn't tell my wife. I told her to press the car symbol on the lower left and work her way through the menus to get accustomed to it. She prefers v11 too now. Just a case of getting used to it.

• Disagree
Reactions: tyguy
The wiper 'workaround' as you call it, was there in v10 too. Regarding 'all the fiddle' about the temps mini screen...hitting temps up and down is the same as v10. Easier just to swipe up from the bottom of the screen and access all of it. You don't like 2 temp controllers? My passengers do...they can control their temp/seat heaters etc without having to lean over. As for accessing profiles, surely its just a question of showing your wife? I actually didn't tell my wife. I told her to press the car symbol on the lower left and work her way through the menus to get accustomed to it. She prefers v11 too now. Just a case of getting used to it.
As you clearly know my wife better than me, I think you should explain the changes to her.

Reactions: Sporty