Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Everything wrong with V11 update / user interface.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if it's been mentioned but:

Reversing out of my driveway, if I attempt to close the garage with the shortcut at the top, it completely loads the full screen menu and blocks the rear camera! Did anyone at Tesla even use the new GUI? This reeks of quickly throwing something in without fully story boarding the screens/buttons or user acceptance testing.
There is now a homelink bar on the bottom left where the cards for energy and tire pressure used to be. It only appears when in range. This may be the only thing I like in v11 it’s a lot easier than the old way. Unfortunately most everything else is harder.

It's not just the number of locations though. I think most EA charging location only got about 5 to 7 spots to charge where superchargers have 12 to 24 on average. I am not sure the expansion of EA is fast enough with the expansion of all the other EV cars that would use EA for charging. Ioniq 5 get 2 years free charging at EA I think.

I am thinking of buying another EV (already have 2 Tesla). I am looking between the Ioniq 5 and MY. However both of them are probably not available for another 6 months. Supercharger network does figured into the equation, but (staying on topic) V11 does not. I don't love the new UI, but I don't hate it either just need to get used to it. Even if I hate the new UI, I don't think it is going to sway me one way or another toward buying another Tesla or not. Now if the $7500 tax credit came back, yeah it is definitely going to point the needle back to the MY by a good margin.
I test drove an ioniq 5 recently. Really nice car. Ride comfort is close to my X and it is faster than I expected. I have a MY on order but am seriously considering cancelling it and getting the Ioniq instead.

One point on superchargers. Here in Norway Tesla are experimenting with allowing other cars to use the supercharger network and I believe the intention is to roll it our world wide so the supercharger network may not be a plus for tesla in the future. I often hear people say it will be a good opportunity for tesla drivers to persuade others to buy tesla. I happen to think it is more likely to persuade more tesla drivers to swap to other manufacturers. There is a LOT of very good competition these days.

• Informative
Reactions: Need
So here is the thing with the Supercharger network, it is a fantastic advantage of Tesla (great coverage and seamless experience). However, the 'competition' is not as useless as many fanboys claim. Electrify America currently has 700 active locations (all US). If we go to supercarge.info/charts we can see that Tesla had 700 North American locations on April 28th 2019 (which includes Canada and Mexico). So in terms of number of locations EA is only about 2 years behind. Granted the locations are perhaps not as well-located as many Superchargers, and the locations usually only have 3-4 stalls, but it is still a viable network (for many).
It is not only quantity but also quality. Have you tried EA? A friend with ID.4 curses it every time. The experience is very different than Tesla - things do not always work or work right. You can see that VW was forced to do it (because of the dieselgate)

Reactions: TexasTezla
I test drove an ioniq 5 recently. Really nice car. Ride comfort is close to my X and it is faster than I expected. I have a MY on order but am seriously considering cancelling it and getting the Ioniq instead.

One point on superchargers. Here in Norway Tesla are experimenting with allowing other cars to use the supercharger network and I believe the intention is to roll it our world wide so the supercharger network may not be a plus for tesla in the future. I often hear people say it will be a good opportunity for tesla drivers to persuade others to buy tesla. I happen to think it is more likely to persuade more tesla drivers to swap to other manufacturers. There is a LOT of very good competition these days.
Unfortunately, no one has the range…

Unfortunately, no one has the range…
Ioniq 5 has slightly more range than the Model Y Performance I have on order. However, over say 200 miles I think charging speed is more important than just plain range anyway. The Ioniq 5 has an 800V battery vs Tesla's 400V so charges considerably faster. It can also act as a 16A outlet allowing it to power a useful amount of stuff in your home if you have a power cut. Great feature for camping or for just trimming a hedge when you don't have an extension cable long enough :D

So there is a lot to like here and if Tesla continue on the obsessively reductionist path I can see a lot more people being attracted to the alternatives.

Last edited:
Ioniq 5 has slightly more range than the Model Y Performance I have on order. However, over say 200 miles I think charging speed is more important than just plain range anyway. The Ioniq 5 has an 800V battery vs Tesla's 400V so charges considerably faster. It can also act as a 16A outlet allowing it to power a useful amount of stuff in your home if you have a power cut. Great feature for camping or for just trimming a hedge when you don't have an extension cable long enough :D

So there is a lot to like here and if Tesla continue on the possessively reductionist path I can see a lot more people being attracted to the alternatives.
Hyundai Ioniq 5 Estimated Range from car.com
  • Ioniq 5 Standard Range (RWD, 168 hp): 220 miles
  • Ioniq 5 Long Range (RWD, 225 hp): 303 miles
  • Ioniq 5 Long Range (AWD, 320 hp): 256 mile
Tesla Model Y Performance which is AWD is quoted as 303 miles so the Long Range AWD Ioniq is WAY behind in range with 256 miles...

Reactions: Boza
Tesla Model Y Performance which is AWD is quoted as 303 miles so the Long Range AWD Ioniq is WAY behind in range with 256 miles...
Hyundais are widely known to usually meet epa figures unlike Tesla.

NOTHING takes priority over removing a button, icon or piece of the car.

By the way, I test drove an Ioniq 5 recently. It really is a very, very nice car and has many features that Tesla really should have. It's implementation of the camera on indicator is way better too. I swear, if Tesla ever open up their supercharging network to other cars, I'll be gone. Oh.... Wait......
Enjoy your...hyundai.

So here is the thing with the Supercharger network, it is a fantastic advantage of Tesla (great coverage and seamless experience). However, the 'competition' is not as useless as many fanboys claim. Electrify America currently has 700 active locations (all US). If we go to supercarge.info/charts we can see that Tesla had 700 North American locations on April 28th 2019 (which includes Canada and Mexico). So in terms of number of locations EA is only about 2 years behind. Granted the locations are perhaps not as well-located as many Superchargers, and the locations usually only have 3-4 stalls, but it is still a viable network (for many).
For EA It isn't the quantity, its the placements and quality. Too many are often out of service and out of the way. Tesla Superchargers are winning this battle by a country mile

Yeah, that's why I said it has slightly more range than the Model Y Performance I have on order.

• Disagree
Everyone knows EA is a hot mess! I cant see Tesla opening up their superchargers in the US to other brands for quite some time, years. If they do I imagine the tariff wont be the same!
I think Elon was just saying that he was going to open up SCs to everyone else because he thought that US government subsidies for EV chargers was predicated on unlimited access. Besides, your point is also valid. Prices for charging Teslas at SCs will likely be cheaper than for other EV brands.

Sigh. Pity you have to invent stuff to achieve your goal! LOL. In the real world the Tesla AWD goes further than the Ioniq AWD. Period. Oh look, the serial downvoter ContrarianDC downvoted a FACT. What a chump! LOL
Bjørn Nyland's real world range tests in the summer has Tesla Model Y LR at 294 miles and the Ioniq AWD at 286. A difference of 8 miles. Tesla still do things like auto pilot better and Y LR with the boost is faster, The Y is also bigger which is important to me. I am simply saying that the competition is already here and Tesla can not afford to be complacent for much longer.

For me the MYP is considerably faster, has more luggage capacity, and better autopilot. Maybe enough to keep me away from the cheaper, better riding, better equipped Hyundai but the supercharger network seals the deal. For now.

Bjørn Nyland's real world range tests in the summer has Tesla Model Y LR at 294 miles and the Ioniq AWD at 286. A difference of 8 miles. Tesla still do things like auto pilot better and Y LR with the boost is faster, The Y is also bigger which is important to me. I am simply saying that the competition is already here and Tesla can not afford to be complacent for much longer.

For me the MYP is considerably faster, has more luggage capacity, and better autopilot. Maybe enough to keep me away from the cheaper, better riding, better equipped Hyundai but the supercharger network seals the deal. For now.
Tesla aren't being complacent, quite the opposite! They are on full steam ahead mode!

• Disagree
Reactions: ContrarianDC
I think Elon was just saying that he was going to open up SCs to everyone else because he thought that US government subsidies for EV chargers was predicated on unlimited access. Besides, your point is also valid. Prices for charging Teslas at SCs will likely be cheaper than for other EV brands.
Already supercharger locations opened for other manufacturers in the Netherlands and one here in Norway. It is slightly more expensive for non Tesla's but only by a little if you buy a monthly plan. I think it's a bad move by Tesla but they seem to be seriously thinking about it, in Europe at least.

What would make it more difficult in the States is the proprietary charge port that I believe is still used in the US. In the rest of the world Tesla now use a CCS port which is compatible with nearly all other manufacturers.

Last edited: