Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Everything wrong with V11 update / user interface.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Something as simple as cycling between radio stations you have saved is increasingly difficult. Before V11, when you use the left button on the wheel to skip to the next radio station it will cycle 1, 2, 3, 4, 6.. then back to 1, 2, 3.. etc
On V11 if you are on the last radio station you have saved and you skip to the next radio station, instead of going to to the 1st one it completely leaves the radio an starts streaming music from the internet and you can't get back!

The shortcut of tapping the Speed Limit sign while using cruise/autopilot no longer seems to reset the cruise speed to the speed limit. Or am I doing it wrong?

A bunch of my streaming favorites seem to have disappeared.

With the latest version of the iPhone app, after charging, it reads km added - rather than miles...

Speaking of the iPhone app, simply launching it and connecting to the car sucks down about 5-10% of the phones battery.

Reactions: K5TRX and DrDabbles
I think the simple change for the UI would be to
  1. Bring back the Top of the Screen Taskbar... everyone seemed to link that and it had all the Quick features that were needed. Nothing more or less.
  2. Bring back the Odometer/Tire Pressure Cards and Add the left turn right turn Camera within the Card UI. It would be sleeker and still there.
  3. The Charging Page, it was extremely useful and Intuitive before it didnt need the change
All just my Opinion

The shortcut of tapping the Speed Limit sign while using cruise/autopilot no longer seems to reset the cruise speed to the speed limit. Or am I doing it wrong?

A bunch of my streaming favorites seem to have disappeared...

Just went on a drive, and still can not get the speed limit shortcut to work. Next to try disabling FSD.

OTOH, all my streaming favorites re-appeared.

3) Smaller fonts and icons....does Tesla not listen? Many people have been asking for LARGER fonts for years. At least the option to change font sizes. I don't like the smaller autopilot icon - too small. The GUI should be font-sensitive. Looks like it is not. Bad coding. They would need to re-write the entire GUI to support this most likely, which is probably why they haven't done it.
I agree with this quite strongly, it's a very fundamental point about the UI design (actually about the software design philosophy in general) and I'm afraid it doesn't bode well for customization. The evidence is that it would require a ground-up rewrite with a completely different philosophical basis.

In Android, there are settings for system font size but many apps don't seem to use them properly and/or were clearly never tested with varying font settings. In fact, changing the font settings doesn't always work well with the built-in Android UI and/or launcher supplied by the phone manufacturer (Samsung for me, though it does seem to have gotten a bit better in the last couple of years).

Based on the above, any hopes for Tesla font, icon and color scheme customization seem pretty dim. Not to mention control of more fundamental concepts in the interface.

It would really be great if Tesla would start to take seriously the idea of opening and documenting the APIs, a policy that could allow for wonderful UI customization projects.

Do? Press buttons on the screen...re tire pressure...it is 2 taps as opposed to one swipe...a swipe that many did not like as it was often hit and miss. For recording...if you are concerned it is 'dangerous to hit a button then just honk your horn...no danger at all. Who cares about honking a horn if it avoids danger right? Re temperature...really you cant see the temperature display??? Just press the arrows left and right of the number and it lowers and raises the temp..simple

Sometimes I like to record things that aren't dangerous like a coyote on side of the road. I don't want to honk my horn when there are cars around as that might confuse people or cause an accident.

The problem is I don't remember what menu the tire and cameras are in, so here's how it goes:
- See something I want to record
- Look around the steering wheel to see the car icon since it's hidden behind the wheel for me
- Press the button and the car menu appears
- Search through all car submenus trying to remember where record option is
- Finally find what I want and press it
- Ensure the action was performed
- Bring my attention back to the road

It takes so much time and is dangerous. Before, it was a look, then press. Now it's a look, then press, then look then press, then look, then press, then look, then press.

Last edited:
Do they not have any ergonomic folks on staff? Why do I need to swipe and do all this unnecessary crap just to turn on my seat heaters and activate the front/rear defrosters?

HVAC had to turn on to put the seat heaters on. Defeats the purpose of efficiency.

Why are my “trip” cards gone for monitoring efficiency — I use those constantly? Now they’re placed behind a menu that hides the map to view.

And now my knuckles block the speedometer when I drive with my hands at 10 and 2 (my preferred driving position).

This UI is a travesty

Last edited:
Due to the bad weather, I haven’t driven for awhile, & just downloaded the software update. Yikes! It’s winter! Why hide all the temperature control stuff?? When I need to watch the road, I don’t want to hunt all over for the defroster! This is dangerous in my opinion. (I do like the new blind spot camera). I want the old icons back, and without games. GRRR

Due to the bad weather, I haven’t driven for awhile, & just downloaded the software update. Yikes! It’s winter! Why hide all the temperature control stuff?? When I need to watch the road, I don’t want to hunt all over for the defroster! This is dangerous in my opinion. (I do like the new blind spot camera). I want the old icons back, and without games. GRRR
Don't touch the games please :)

Had to join the Club just to post how much I dislike the v11 changes. Maybe someone influential is reading the comments. I bought my Model 3 in December in 2019; it was my first EV and the first EV in my circle. Based on my overwhelmingly positive impression with the car and UI interface, I sold my BMW & Porsche in months and two of my friends bought Model 3's. Up to this point, I felt every system update has been positive and made the vehicle better. And now v11: Ugh. I hate it. I haven't read every post on these 18 pages, but my list likely parallels many: The icons are less intuitive. Important controls that used to be at a finger's touch are now buried and need dives into screens that take eyes off the road. Media being separated by source - WTH? Was the station I was just enjoying on Spotify, TuneIn, Tesla Streaming or what? I don't know. People are already staring at their phones way too much while driving, now Tesla owners will be trying to find the seat warmers, defrost, and the podcast they were half way through but is now lost. I feel half map/half music is the perfect setup for me. Now it seems I have to hit the "dock" button to get this - every time I drive? In 2019 the Model 3 was in a class of its own. Now that there are viable competitors in the market, missteps like this could spell trouble for the company. A week in and not a fan.

Had to join the Club just to post how much I dislike the v11 changes. Maybe someone influential is reading the comments. I bought my Model 3 in December in 2019; it was my first EV and the first EV in my circle. Based on my overwhelmingly positive impression with the car and UI interface, I sold my BMW & Porsche in months and two of my friends bought Model 3's. Up to this point, I felt every system update has been positive and made the vehicle better. And now v11: Ugh. I hate it. I haven't read every post on these 18 pages, but my list likely parallels many: The icons are less intuitive. Important controls that used to be at a finger's touch are now buried and need dives into screens that take eyes off the road. Media being separated by source - WTH? Was the station I was just enjoying on Spotify, TuneIn, Tesla Streaming or what? I don't know. People are already staring at their phones way too much while driving, now Tesla owners will be trying to find the seat warmers, defrost, and the podcast they were half way through but is now lost. I feel half map/half music is the perfect setup for me. Now it seems I have to hit the "dock" button to get this - every time I drive? In 2019 the Model 3 was in a class of its own. Now that there are viable competitors in the market, missteps like this could spell trouble for the company. A week in and not a fan.
Well, at least WARM welcome to the club with good and the bad. I strongly believe they will bring back some of the most critical/annoying options tat many owners complains about.

By the way, I find the automatic seat heaters matching nicely with my prefference so, that's a nice plus.

Reactions: K5TRX
There is actually a major flaw/oversight with the new HomeLink button. If am reversing out of my driveway, my passenger rarely puts on their seat belt immediately. The software places a notice to fasten the seatbelt on top of the new HomeLink button, so I can't see if the garage will auto close, etc. I am now yelling at my passengers to fasten their seatbelt so I can see what is going on, which is very annoying!

There is actually a major flaw/oversight with the new HomeLink button. If am reversing out of my driveway, my passenger rarely puts on their seat belt immediately. The software places a notice to fasten the seatbelt on top of the new HomeLink button, so I can't see if the garage will auto close, etc. I am now yelling at my passengers to fasten their seatbelt so I can see what is going on, which is very annoying!

The seat belt warning can be dismissed, at least for a while, by swiping it down.