Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Everything wrong with V11 update / user interface.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got an update last night, was hoping it Hot Tub Time Machined back to the v10 UI... alas... no dice.

For those saying to use voice controls to activate the shortcut icon/buttons that used to be there... you forget one thing, they also served to show you the status of those functions.

My wife has to go into the HVAC control just to see if her seat heater is on... that's bad UX... not just bad UI.

Also, the seatbelt warning is now set vertically... and the seating picture is dark... so when the passenger does not have their seat belt on... it looks like the driver and the back right passenger looks like the front passenger... bleh.

Got an update last night, was hoping it Hot Tub Time Machined back to the v10 UI... alas... no dice.

For those saying to use voice controls to activate the shortcut icon/buttons that used to be there... you forget one thing, they also served to show you the status of those functions.

My wife has to go into the HVAC control just to see if her seat heater is on... that's bad UX... not just bad UI.

Also, the seatbelt warning is now set vertically... and the seating picture is dark... so when the passenger does not have their seat belt on... it looks like the driver and the back right passenger looks like the front passenger... bleh.
Yeah I’ve noticed this too. Why make the car diagram perpendicular to your own seating position????

Reactions: Driver08

Not only that but I also realized that I have to go into the HVAC controls to see if any of the other seat heaters in the vehicle are turned on. Since on older cars seat heaters are tied to the profile that's being used, and they are saved in real time. On the next drive they will come back on as last set. I may well be driving my car with one or more seat heaters on with unoccupied seats.

Reactions: lensovet
Found another small problem. When listening to podcasts with multiple episodes it used to be easy to view a list of all episodes available. Now you have to click on the unintuitive list icon. Then it you are listening to an older episode the list will only show episodes prior to that one so you can't see newer ones without getting out of the whole list and starting back at the latest episode. Hard to explain but another stupid mess like everything else. I think i can see the underlying rationale which is to reduce the number of buttons and repair them all with the one car button placed as close to the driver as possible. In addition remove as many things from the map/main display as possible. The problem is that this is just wrong headed. That big screen is not just want showing the map. In fact the map is perhaps one of the less important things to show. Overlaying important information that can all be seen at a glance is the primary purpose of the screen. Increasing the amount of screen space devoted to the graphic visualisation was wrong headed in the earlier update. As a driver i don't actually need to see what the computer sees,i can look out the windshield and see it. Without a HUD that screen is all we have and should be be displaying information we actually need to drive.

• Love
Reactions: tccartier
Well, they broke the browser. Waze doesn't work anymore.
I totally agree!

Here's what I posted in another thread here about Tesla Waze not working. Hope they figure it out.
Tesla Waze stopped working just before V11 with the black screen problem (could see the page was loaded but not getting geo info). I found others with the same issue, but it still worked on my brother's M3 just fine. The azure?whatever website works fine too as I can open Tesla Waze on my phone no problem. I agree that I don't think it's getting the geo location, but when I opened the new V11 browser tonight on ADS-B Exchange.com to look at an aircraft tracking map, the browser/website said it needed permission for my location, I clicked yes and it worked fine in the M3 with my location displayed properly. Big fan of Tesla Waze too, so hopefully there's a fix. Not a big fan of the new update, AT ALL! Navigating for stations is especially difficult. The recently listen to info for last played music channels/stations is hard to find and not working well on mine. Scrolling left to right now, and the recently played items are all jumbled up. And if I do anything with the screen while on a call the red phone symbol to hang up a call disappears leaving me droning on with long winded voice mail messages as I fumble for my phone to hang up the call. I've tried test calls to see how to get the red phone icon back up, not a clue. The UI used to be a major selling point over other automakers and their displays.

• Informative
Reactions: QUBO and tccartier
Sometimes I like to record things that aren't dangerous like a coyote on side of the road. I don't want to honk my horn when there are cars around as that might confuse people or cause an accident.

The problem is I don't remember what menu the tire and cameras are in, so here's how it goes:
- See something I want to record
- Look around the steering wheel to see the car icon since it's hidden behind the wheel for me
- Press the button and the car menu appears
- Search through all car submenus trying to remember where record option is
- Finally find what I want and press it
- Ensure the action was performed
- Bring my attention back to the road

It takes so much time and is dangerous. Before, it was a look, then press. Now it's a look, then press, then look then press, then look, then press, then look, then press.
Here's my take as it used to be:

For recording: see something I want to see...take my eyes off the road to try and hit the tiny record button on the right side of the screen. Usually having to rest my hand on the top of the screen to steady it if I am on regular roads! Hopefully stab the icon before I get my eyes back to the road!

Tires: Trying to swipe the screen and often as not spinning the car in the process until I hit the sweet spot to get the old cards up...having to look at screen to make sure my swipes are in the sweet spot and the right way to get tires and not trip data! Then swipe to get rid of it. Finally bring my attention back to the road...for me it took more time than it does now. Sideways swipes are not good.

In short I prefer larger buttons, a car button that is large enough not to require looking for it as it doesn't move...although better than all of this is voice control. Just SO easy to use for so many commands and if safety is a priority for you just press that little right button on the wheel and say "save dashcam"

So if she is looking for the seat heater icon one must assume it is because she wants to do something like turn it off or turn it up? Therefore she would HAVE to interact with the screen. If she was cold and she wanted to see if seat heater was on then in v10 she would look at screen, see if it was on or off and then press the screen to do what action she wanted. In v11 if she is cold she swipes up and changes temperature. Why would you check seat heaters if you were neither hot nor cold?

Its unlikely anyone wants to see if heaters are on or off just to see...there is an underlying reason i.e. I am either too hot or too cold. If it IS just to see then what difference does it make if you CANT see...?

Last edited:
My second post on this thread. I used to be so pleased every time I drove my Tesla, now I'm annoyed AF.

Hopped in to make my first business trip of 2022, had to dive in two screens deep to get to Trip Odometer. When I tap on "Trip A" it prompts to RENAME Trip A..... I didn't have time to google or watch a YouTube video on how to reset the trip odometer in my car, so I just took off.

Voice command "SHOW ODOMETER" has been deleted
I tried "RESET ODOMETER A" - doesn't work, don't know if it did before
Voice command "SHOW TIRE PRESSURE" has been deleted
(Voice command "My Ass is Cold" still works FWIW)

Why would Tesla remove voice commands that were already programmed and functioning? Are they going to offer subscription services with 50, 100, or 500 voice commands?

With no Driver Profile up top, when my wife and I hop in the car to go to lunch, with both of our phones on us - how do we know who is "driving" the vehicle?

I will be shopping the entire EV market next round. Its disheartening to think of the time and money spent to develop this new system - and that it was approved and issued.

So if she is looking for the seat heater icon one must assume it is because she wants to do something like turn it off or turn it up? Therefore she would HAVE to interact with the screen. If she was cold and she wanted to see if seat heater was on then in v10 she would look at screen, see if it was on or off and then press the screen to do what action she wanted. In v11 if she is cold she swipes up and changes temperature. Why would you check seat heaters if you were neither hot nor cold?

Its unlikely anyone wants to see if heaters are on or off just to see...there is an underlying reason i.e. I am either too hot or too cold. If it IS just to see then what difference does it make if you CANT see...?
Not necessarily.

Since different people ride in my passenger seat, she doesn't know if the seat heater is on or off and before... she can see if the seat heated icon was there and then didn't have to do anything.

Conversely, my kid knows my wife likes to use the seat heater and when they get in the car to see if it's on or off instead of waiting for their seat to heat up to realize it.

And for me... I like to turn the passenger seat heater off if I'm by myself... so I like to see it too.

There is a reason why visual indicators exist in the first place... most vehicles have actual dedicated hardware buttons with an indicator for heated seats.

Using your statement, why are there temp indicators for the HVAC then? Just remove those too. :)

Why would Tesla remove voice commands that were already programmed and functioning? Are they going to offer subscription services with 50, 100, or 500 voice commands?
Don't give them any ideas.
Using your statement, why are there temp indicators for the HVAC then? Just remove those too.
Please, stop giving them ideas! :)
Here are my ideas: High-contrast text. Large commonly-used buttons. Clearly defined buttons, tabs, and other input areas. Nice icons and lose the flat look. Split screen UI. Workable browser. All info and status I want to see always available. No always-on map. Here's what it would look like:
version6.jpg

Adding on to this, I also haven’t posted in a while. I agree with a lot of the issues that people have brought up and wanted to add that they got rid of the scrubber bar. Now it’s this thin black line that is really hard to see, and there are no 15 second forward buttons or ways to see time elapsed and time remaining. When listening to a podcast, this set up is so frustrating because there’s no easy or safe way to fast forward and I have no idea how much time is left. I’ve been trying different voice commands but I haven’t found one that works for forwarding content. Anyone know of any?

Voice command "SHOW ODOMETER" has been deleted
I tried "RESET ODOMETER A" - doesn't work, don't know if it did before
Voice command "SHOW TIRE PRESSURE" has been deleted
(Voice command "My Ass is Cold" still works FWIW)
My guess is they no longer work because they were probably coded to the cards (which were removed) and nobody bothered to tie them to the new menu items.

Everyone talking about voice commands is an idiot. "voice command available at this time" "connection unavailable" "command not understood" and also I can't do voice commands while I'm also on the phone. My wife is also mute and uses sign language, so is she supposed to SIGN HER COMMANDS into the camera that tracks our every movement now?

This user interface is literally going to make me sell the car. It's so ****ing bad I can't do anything without almost having a car wreck. I sent voice feedback everyday about how bad it is. Everything is in a sub-menu. They ruined search and playing previous music and it got worse with every update.

I can't adjust the AC to a specific number without 3-4 touches when I used to be able to do it in 1-2. I use the AC and heat everyday and I'm ****ing trying to drive and go into sub menus just to use the seat heater? Horrible.

Bitch, I don't want Sonic the Hedghog I want a decent UI. Made an account to say this.

Another thing harder that's unique to me, is every update makes the music options worse. I rotate between various songs for signing, carioke, and stuff like that. I have to go to search now and choose a previous search option. Before, I could just choose one from this history. In other words, I have to do a full search to play the songs I regularly "carioke" or listen to. It takes so many button presses at this point I might as well just burn a CD and get a diskman. Voice commands do not work for this. If someone talks to me about voice commands again I will punch them in the face.

Another thing harder that's unique to me, is every update makes the music options worse. I rotate between various songs for signing, carioke, and stuff like that. I have to go to search now and choose a previous search option. Before, I could just choose one from this history. In other words, I have to do a full search to play the songs I regularly "carioke" or listen to. It takes so many button presses at this point I might as well just burn a CD and get a diskman. Voice commands do not work for this. If someone talks to me about voice commands again I will punch them in the face.
I can't edit my posts for some reason, but I want to be clear. I know I can choose a historical search option, but I can't choose a historical song choice in the same way that I could before in 1 button press.

I'll occasionally realize that my back is getting tired and glance down and see that the seat heaters had gotten accidentally turned off. I like them on, on level 2 or 1, all the time, even in the summer. They just feel good, even though I HATE being hot. Other times, I see that they are in fact on, and I just sigh and realize that I'm not getting younger. Either way, that's an easy check (and easy fix, if necessary) in v10, but not so in v11.

To your second point, there's no rational reason for anyone who is driving and actually paying attention to the road to want to see other cars, orange cones or trash cans on the screen "just to see them," either, but they're there. Honestly, if I could turn them off and replace them with useful info like a trip computer, I would.

I'll occasionally realize that my back is getting tired and glance down and see that the seat heaters had gotten accidentally turned off. I like them on, on level 2 or 1, all the time, even in the summer. They just feel good, even though I HATE being hot. Other times, I see that they are in fact on, and I just sigh and realize that I'm not getting younger. Either way, that's an easy check (and easy fix, if necessary) in v10, but not so in v11.

To your second point, there's no rational reason for anyone who is driving and actually paying attention to the road to want to see other cars, orange cones or trash cans on the screen "just to see them," either, but they're there. Honestly, if I could turn them off and replace them with useful info like a trip computer, I would.
I agree. I don't have an option for a like button. Maybe because I'm a new user. Is the like button on this forum hidden in a sub-menu somewhere?

I’m hoping (imagine even) they will bring a widget for the customization area for the seat heaters.

I wish they’d give people an option to see something other then the 3D rendered map. I happened to like it, but I do feel that it should be an option. And that T is putting too much priority on it being visible. A lot of the changes move the notifications off of the car display. Even to the point where the unfastened seatbelt display is now at a not-natural rotation.

Reactions: tccartier

Yes there is a reason for wanting to see at a glance if your seat heaters are on. Here's the deal, on older model S / X the seat heater settings (last state) are saved in the profile in use at the time. So anytime any of them are adjusted that is the way they will remain when the car is turned back on. So if your passenger turns on their seat heater or any seat heater in the car and you shut the car off the next time you come back to it and drive it those seat heaters will come back on even if the seats are unoccupied. The only way presently to see if they are on is now a menu deep as opposed to a quick glance. That's why.

I’m hoping (imagine even) they will bring a widget for the customization area for the seat heaters.

I wish they’d give people an option to see something other then the 3D rendered map. I happened to like it, but I do feel that it should be an option. And that T is putting too much priority on it being visible. A lot of the changes move the notifications off of the car display. Even to the point where the unfastened seatbelt display is now at a not-natural rotation.

I hear you loud and clear. I get that they're trying to push the whole self driving thing but if that's the case then I don't need a map. We were having the same difficulties when we first got pushed version 9 which forced nav to be on the screen all the time. I don't know too many people that use navigation on a daily basis. I know where my job is, I know where the grocery store is, my local legion club, my barber, and most of the places I drive to on a daily basis or weekly / monthly basis I actually use navigation very seldom. It would be nice to have all of that screen real estate to be able to display things that I want like I used to be able to do before version 9.