Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Everything wrong with V11 update / user interface.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wait until they actually drive it, lol. The yoke itself I don't think is too bad... It's all the capacitive touch buttons that I think were poorly thought out. In this video they talked about how it was too easy to accidentally trigger the buttons when your hands brush across it. There's no haptic feedback to find the buttons, so you have to look at them to hit the right one. People like my mother in law, have really dry skin, so have a hard time activating capactive touch buttons, especially in winter.
One of them already has his and he enjoys everything about his car. He has no issue with the set up. He just says that he had to learn some new stuff but after a few drives its now second nature (finding buttons perhaps). I think I prefer a regular wheel over a yoke but if people like it then live and let live.

• Funny
Reactions: jaqueh
I am sure that there are people who are thrilled about the yoke and V11.
Hiding important car-related functions while exposing/giving more flexibility on entertainment-related functions is a departure from a driver-oriented car. Similarly, the yoke looks “sporty” but it is not with the full 2 1/2 turns (and the stokeless design is another departure from a driver-oriented interface). If we consider performance-orientation, V11 has nothing of that sort. If I am on the track, using proper yoke, I would be interested in the accelerometers, temp of brake fluid, temperature of the battery, current draw, power drawn from each motor, leaning angles, tire pressure … A whole screen of parameters that are either not shown at all or buried like the tire pressure. So, no, it is not track-oriented.
May be they will improve it in the future but, as an entertainment device, it is also very confusing. The sources selection is weird, the search does not work, list of podcast is super difficult to navigate.
The whole thing is going in a very weird direction, certainly not the masses and not the performance-oriented people. What comes to mind is gamers, which, let’s face it, is not a very large population. And $100k+ is somewhat expensive for a poorly designed gaming console.
While the design of V11 is bad, my real concern is where the overall design is going. Yes, the demand is outpacing the supply at the moment but what will happen when there are viable alternatives, a couple of years from now? Are we going to be stuck with cars that appeal only to a niche population?
I am glad that I bought one of the last Ravens. Don’t want to think about a residual value of a yoke car a few years from now when the fad has faded.
So is it just gamers buying more Teslas than they can make right now? I think not. If you look at many of the concept cars made nowadays...they often have a yoke instead of a steering wheel...many other brands are looking at this. Tesla just had the balls to go ahead and actually do it! Now, it may not work out in the long run but I'd wager it has hurt Plaid sales not one bit!

All I can say to the new updates is ugh! V11 has not made the actual driving of the vehicle (the main purpose) any easier. I am finding it all very frustrating, and for the first time ever really not happy with Tesla. Why not bigger font options? Why not weather map options? Why take away the lower left info screen with wipers/tire pressure/odometer etc? Why add steps to the climate controls and music streaming? All they want to push now is the "fun" stuff; light shows, games, movies....just shaking my head.

So is it just gamers buying more Teslas than they can make right now? I think not. If you look at many of the concept cars made nowadays...they often have a yoke instead of a steering wheel...many other brands are looking at this. Tesla just had the balls to go ahead and actually do it! Now, it may not work out in the long run but I'd wager it has hurt Plaid sales not one bit!
You actually may have a point. V11 looks more like a concept rather than a real world UI.
Concepts are the place where designers throw ideas without much consideration how they will play in the real world. It is a test type of thing. A vast majority of them never make it past the concept car.
No, thank you! I prefer something that is well designed and tested. Not a first adopter as it relates to cars. I would venture to guess that majority of people who buy cars are also in this bucket. It is concerning if the designers cannot distinguish between the former and the latter.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
You are correct. However, we should also analyze the complaints. A lot of them are valid. Because there is also another hidden behavior - a lot of people adapt temporary until an alternative is available. The resentment builds up and when the alternatives is available they leave, crashing the residual value of the car. That will not be good for all of us who already own Teslas.
For example, I already have a few friends who cancelled the Plaid just because of the yoke (similar philosophy to V11 from Tesla). There is no alternative now (Porsche does not have the range) but in a couple of years there will be.
Not so sure about not having alternatives. Tesla was innovative due to being first, but now experienced car builders are coming with their EV's. Watch BMW and Merc. I will. They do have better and safer car controls. Have driven BMW's before switching to Tesla. I remember my first impressions when driving Tesla in 2017. The car was clearly inferior to my BMW 5- series in many ways; airco, navigation, primary controls. It didn't even have rain sensor, can you imagine. A feature they introduced afterwards, still is in beta and does not function properly yet. When driving in rainy conditions I have my finger on the stick constantly. The list of drawbacks was quite extensive. Have got it listed somewhere, but there were little alternatives to enter the EV world. And I admit I wanted to be a frontrunner and driving an EV at first was a nice experience, so that's what convinced me then. But driving (my second) Tesla now for 5 years, I'm not so convinced anymore, surely now alternatives are coming. I also want to add that some are missing the point here, it's about safe driving and therefore intuitive controls that do what you expect and do not take away attention from the road. All the rest is wanne have. Also, any suggestions of getting feedback to Tesla? I'm posting in this thread hoping someone will pick it up and so something about it.

You actually may have a point. V11 looks more like a concept rather than a real world UI.
Concepts are the place where designers throw ideas without much consideration how they will play in the real world. It is a test type of thing. A vast majority of them never make it past the concept car.
No, thank you! I prefer something that is well designed and tested. Not a first adopter as it relates to cars. I would venture to guess that majority of people who buy cars are also in this bucket. It is concerning if the designers cannot distinguish between the former and the latter.
I was talking about the yoke not the, what I consider, great UI. But having a Tesla means you are a first adopter and I would venture that many Tesla owners just love what they do to stir the pot.

Not so sure about not having alternatives. Tesla was innovative due to being first, but now experienced car builders are coming with their EV's. Watch BMW and Merc. I will. They do have better and safer car controls. Have driven BMW's before switching to Tesla. I remember my first impressions when driving Tesla in 2017. The car was clearly inferior to my BMW 5- series in many ways; airco, navigation, primary controls. It didn't even have rain sensor, can you imagine. A feature they introduced afterwards, still is in beta and does not function properly yet. When driving in rainy conditions I have my finger on the stick constantly. The list of drawbacks was quite extensive. Have got it listed somewhere, but there were little alternatives to enter the EV world. And I admit I wanted to be a frontrunner and driving an EV at first was a nice experience, so that's what convinced me then. But driving (my second) Tesla now for 5 years, I'm not so convinced anymore, surely now alternatives are coming. I also want to add that some are missing the point here, it's about safe driving and therefore intuitive controls that do what you expect and do not take away attention from the road. All the rest is wanne have. Also, any suggestions of getting feedback to Tesla? I'm posting in this thread hoping someone will pick it up and so something about it.
I am monitoring the field and, currently, there is no one who has the same range, efficiency and charging network.
EA is probably the closest but has a number of issues. A friend has VW ID.4 and very often cannot charge - the system is offline, cannot connect to the car, payment if off, etc. It seems like VW was forced to implement it and they don’t put their heart to it. In a way, they were because of the “dieselgate”.
VW, Audi, Porsche, BMW have interesting offers but nowhere near the 400mi range or 270Wh/mi that Tesla has. Also, Audi seems overengineered with the way they implemented regen. Went out of their way to mimic ICE.
Mercedes is definitely something to watch. They introduced 200Wh/mi car. When it comes out I will definitely want to check it.
Kia Kona, while very well put together, is not in the category.
So, currently, there are no viable alternatives. 2-3 years from now it will be a very, very different story. That is what bugs me - Tesla does not have much time to get their s$&@t together, especially if they are going in the wrong direction.

I totally agree!

Here's what I posted in another thread here about Tesla Waze not working. Hope they figure it out.
Tesla Waze stopped working just before V11 with the black screen problem (could see the page was loaded but not getting geo info). I found others with the same issue, but it still worked on my brother's M3 just fine. The azure?whatever website works fine too as I can open Tesla Waze on my phone no problem. I agree that I don't think it's getting the geo location, but when I opened the new V11 browser tonight on ADS-B Exchange.com to look at an aircraft tracking map, the browser/website said it needed permission for my location, I clicked yes and it worked fine in the M3 with my location displayed properly. Big fan of Tesla Waze too, so hopefully there's a fix. Not a big fan of the new update, AT ALL! Navigating for stations is especially difficult. The recently listen to info for last played music channels/stations is hard to find and not working well on mine. Scrolling left to right now, and the recently played items are all jumbled up. And if I do anything with the screen while on a call the red phone symbol to hang up a call disappears leaving me droning on with long winded voice mail messages as I fumble for my phone to hang up the call. I've tried test calls to see how to get the red phone icon back up, not a clue. The UI used to be a major selling point over other automakers and their displays.
I also am a Tesla Waze user, along with other apps that require geo location info. Yes, I know there are phone apps with the same info, but accessing my phone is not as safe, nor as convenient as simply using the browser. v11 is a big step backward for browser functionality in my MCU2 upgraded 2015 MS90D. Please fix geo location in browser!

It's difficult to really evaluate V11 without installing it, and at that point it's too late because there's no going back in TeslaLand. I've been holding off because I didn't like what I saw in the release notes, and lots of comments align with my initial reaction. Without seeing any images of the new UI, I'm just guessing what it looks like. Could it be true that Entertainment/Browsing/Toybox are easier to access - even though they can only be used when the vehicle is parked - compared to vehicle functions like wipers, climate control and energy monitoring that are used multiple times per trip? If so, then someone has a lot of explaining to do. I bought a road vehicle, not a mobile computer/video game station.

It's difficult to really evaluate V11 without installing it, and at that point it's too late because there's no going back in TeslaLand. I've been holding off because I didn't like what I saw in the release notes, and lots of comments align with my initial reaction. Without seeing any images of the new UI, I'm just guessing what it looks like. Could it be true that Entertainment/Browsing/Toybox are easier to access - even though they can only be used when the vehicle is parked - compared to vehicle functions like wipers, climate control and energy monitoring that are used multiple times per trip?
If you were are real Tesla fan, you would have a second (or third or fourth) car just for testing new firmware versions. hahahhaha

• Funny
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
It's difficult to really evaluate V11 without installing it, and at that point it's too late because there's no going back in TeslaLand. I've been holding off because I didn't like what I saw in the release notes, and lots of comments align with my initial reaction. Without seeing any images of the new UI, I'm just guessing what it looks like. Could it be true that Entertainment/Browsing/Toybox are easier to access - even though they can only be used when the vehicle is parked - compared to vehicle functions like wipers, climate control and energy monitoring that are used multiple times per trip? If so, then someone has a lot of explaining to do. I bought a road vehicle, not a mobile computer/video game station.
Perhaps it might be best to take a look at the many youtube videos showing v11. Wipers are exactly the same as before...just press the in stalk button and voila, climate control is as before, either hit the temp or just swipe up from anywhere on the screen to access full climate controls. Energy monitoring is accessed by just hitting energy button (you can select to make it a sticky button if you wish) as before. It might take a drive or two to get accustomed but after that it is second nature and just as easy as before. With the control button on bottom left left I actually think it is easier to access info without having to try and swipe the screen for the old cards or try to hit the tiny icons across the top.

Perhaps it might be best to take a look at the many youtube videos showing v11. Wipers are exactly the same as before...just press the in stalk button and voila, climate control is as before, either hit the temp or just swipe up from anywhere on the screen to access full climate controls. Energy monitoring is accessed by just hitting energy button (you can select to make it a sticky button if you wish) as before. It might take a drive or two to get accustomed but after that it is second nature and just as easy as before. With the control button on bottom left left I actually think it is easier to access info without having to try and swipe the screen for the old cards or try to hit the tiny icons across the top.
Thanks, I'll have a look. It really sounds like the new design may be fine for driving in warmer climates, but Tesla's "auto" functions for wipers and climate are completely useless in winter conditions. That means frequent adjustments to wipers and airflow are often required. I don't want to smear my windshield by pressing the wiper button just to see what the current setting is. With V10, I have the option to do that on the screen when necessary. Likewise, how do I see the current seat heater settings without opening the climate display? Given their pathetic performance at automating other controls, I don't expect the auto seat heaters to meet my needs either. Maybe the logic has changed, but with V10, the passenger seat heat selection is saved in the current driver profile and remains the same even if the passenger gets out. Has Tesla used seat occupancy to control this now? Otherwise, the driver needs to see that the seat heat is selected in order to turn it off.

There have been a lot of suggestions about using voice commands as an alternative, but that's disruptive when there are passengers in the car. Also the voice interpretation seems to be getting worse. Today I dictated "text Julia" and even though those words initially appeared on the screen,, the system then decided that I had really said "necrophilia". Come on Tesla, let's consider probability when evaluating voice commands!

Think we need to split this thread in Model 3 and pre-2021 Model S with the vertical 17" screen. I invite you to join me in my daily 220 km commute between Antwerp and Rotterdam. Just now I was struggling with switching from FM radio to TuneIn and Spotify to listen to my favorite Podcast. I should have filmed it, but helas I was driving and could not take my eyes of the road for too long. 😒 PS I'm an IT guy so not unaccustomed with advanced UI.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Thanks, I'll have a look. It really sounds like the new design may be fine for driving in warmer climates, but Tesla's "auto" functions for wipers and climate are completely useless in winter conditions. That means frequent adjustments to wipers and airflow are often required. I don't want to smear my windshield by pressing the wiper button just to see what the current setting is. With V10, I have the option to do that on the screen when necessary. Likewise, how do I see the current seat heater settings without opening the climate display? Given their pathetic performance at automating other controls, I don't expect the auto seat heaters to meet my needs either. Maybe the logic has changed, but with V10, the passenger seat heat selection is saved in the current driver profile and remains the same even if the passenger gets out. Has Tesla used seat occupancy to control this now? Otherwise, the driver needs to see that the seat heat is selected in order to turn it off.

There have been a lot of suggestions about using voice commands as an alternative, but that's disruptive when there are passengers in the car. Also the voice interpretation seems to be getting worse. Today I dictated "text Julia" and even though those words initially appeared on the screen,, the system then decided that I had really said "necrophilia". Come on Tesla, let's consider probability when evaluating voice commands!
Oh you don't have to smear the windshield or touch the display...just a light press brings up the screen without actually activating the wipers. Auto seat heaters are actually pretty good in my opinion. I use them all the time. Granted not in extreme weather like in your neck of the woods but it does work. As for staying on if passenger gets out, I am not sure. Will need to test this. As for voice commands I cant say I have come across too many issues. Sure it isn't always 100% but I use slight more fleshed out sentences. I would have said "Send a text to Julia's mobile". YMMV.

Think we need to split this thread in Model 3 and pre-2021 Model S with the vertical 17" screen. I invite you to join me in my daily 220 km commute between Antwerp and Rotterdam. Just now I was struggling with switching from FM radio to TuneIn and Spotify to listen to my favorite Podcast. I should have filmed it, but helas I was driving and could not take my eyes of the road for too long. 😒 PS I'm an IT guy so not unaccustomed with advanced UI.
I guess this change was made more for the masses (model 3) and future buyers of landscape screens? Hopefully it will get better as it gets developed

Oh you don't have to smear the windshield or touch the display...just a light press brings up the screen without actually activating the wipers. Auto seat heaters are actually pretty good in my opinion. I use them all the time. Granted not in extreme weather like in your neck of the woods but it does work. As for staying on if passenger gets out, I am not sure. Will need to test this. As for voice commands I cant say I have come across too many issues. Sure it isn't always 100% but I use slight more fleshed out sentences. I would have said "Send a text to Julia's mobile". YMMV.
Thanks for that, good to know there is an alternative. Since I posted, I've read that the seat heater is now linked to occupancy detection so that problem should be resolved. As for auto seat heaters, apparently that feature only works with climate control in auto. Since Tesla has done such an awful job of configuring the system for auto operation in really cold climates, mine is in manual 95% of the time anyway so I'll still need to control seat heaters manually. As others have posted, this isn't a set-it-and-forget-it procedure. They're normally set to high to get the seat warm all over, then backed off gradually to low as things get comfortable. Having to open the climate page for each occupant to change their settings is going to be an annoying PITA. I'm willing to wait and see if Tesla will offer something more practical. A couple of months ago, I started noticing that voice commands for phone and text would come back with a name that wasn't a match for any contact, but the call or text would go through anyway. My experience yesterday was unusual - I always say "text xxx" and it works. What I don't understand is why the screen would display "text Julia" which is a perfectly good command that I've used many times, and then change it to something completely irrelevant.