Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Everything wrong with V11 update / user interface.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is actually a major flaw/oversight with the new HomeLink button. If am reversing out of my driveway, my passenger rarely puts on their seat belt immediately. The software places a notice to fasten the seatbelt on top of the new HomeLink button, so I can't see if the garage will auto close, etc. I am now yelling at my passengers to fasten their seatbelt so I can see what is going on, which is very annoying!
THIS!!! My dog, who rarely wears his seatbelt 😉 sets this off as well — it’s gotten the point where he doesn’t go for a ride as often since this terrible “feature” has been implemented.

Reactions: Sporty
I agree with the overall sentiment of your post, but this part is funny. Something like 80% of the threads on the first page of this subforum are complaints about v11.
In this 'subforum'...yes I agree...but 80% does not translate to thousands of threads from tens of thousands of owners. It seems like the majority, until they voice otherwise, are happy with what they have. Just looking below this post I see 5 threads. 2 are supportive of v11, 1 has suggestions for improvements , 1 is a transition guide and 1 says it sucks. If you look at the detractors, they are nearly all the same posters on each thread!

In this 'subforum'...yes I agree...but 80% does not translate to thousands of threads from tens of thousands of owners. It seems like the majority, until they voice otherwise, are happy with what they have. Just looking below this post I see 5 threads. 2 are supportive of v11, 1 has suggestions for improvements , 1 is a transition guide and 1 says it sucks. If you look at the detractors, they are nearly all the same posters on each thread!
That's some fuzzy math there Elon.

Most of the owners aren't going to be on any type of forum... so this is a good sample size.

I called 4,412,032 owners personally and 80% of them dislike v11. :)

Funk? They are bleeding edge and innovating every day.
Yes, on every technology EXCEPT UI/UX.
We have many UI/UX experts who all ageee that Tesla has had their head so far up their arrogant asses on interface design for several years now. And I for one have grown tired complaining about it since this never changes regardless of how much feedback we provide to Tesla. What they know is best and f@(# the users.

Yes, on every technology EXCEPT UI/UX.
We have many UI/UX experts who all ageee that Tesla has had their head so far up their arrogant asses on interface design for several years now. And I for one have grown tired complaining about it since this never changes regardless of how much feedback we provide to Tesla. What they know is best and f@(# the users.
What's funny about this, is that just a few days ago I was reading an article that was talking about Elon's hiring practices and how they are different from other companies, with regards to education and such, and how he always downplays the importance of educational background. Makes me wonder if they even hire Human Factors Engineers to do their UX. I remember one time I was talking to a manager in another group, and I asked if he had any Human Factors engineers and if they ever did any user studies... He told me no, becuase he didn't find the need to pay someone to tell him what he already knew, lol...

I agree with the overall sentiment of your post, but this part is funny. Something like 80% of the threads on the first page of this subforum are complaints about v11.
What's funny about this, is that just a few days ago I was reading an article that was talking about Elon's hiring practices and how they are different from other companies, with regards to education and such, and how he always downplays the importance of educational background. Makes me wonder if they even hire Human Factors Engineers to do their UX. I remember one time I was talking to a manager in another group, and I asked if he had any Human Factors engineers and if they ever did any user studies... He told me no, becuase he didn't find the need to pay someone to tell him what he already knew, lol...
Unfortunately, this is a common issue within the software industry in the past 10-15 years. The presumption is that intelligent people not only can figure it out but also the education gets in a way by “forcing people to think within a box”.
I saw the same interview with Elon about hiring practice. Some companies hire exclusively on education (one cannot join unless came from Ivy League), which is wrong but Elon swings all the way in the opposite side by dismissing education. The optimal point is somewhere in between, as V11 and the yoke show.

You are correct. However, we should also analyze the complaints. A lot of them are valid. Because there is also another hidden behavior - a lot of people adapt temporary until an alternative is available. The resentment builds up and when the alternatives is available they leave, crashing the residual value of the car. That will not be good for all of us who already own Teslas.
For example, I already have a few friends who cancelled the Plaid just because of the yoke (similar philosophy to V11 from Tesla). There is no alternative now (Porsche does not have the range) but in a couple of years there will be.

You are correct. However, we should also analyze the complaints. A lot of them are valid. Because there is also another hidden behavior - a lot of people adapt temporary until an alternative is available. The resentment builds up and when the alternatives is available they leave, crashing the residual value of the car. That will not be good for all of us who already own Teslas.
For example, I already have a few friends who cancelled the Plaid just because of the yoke (similar philosophy to V11 from Tesla). There is no alternative now (Porsche does not have the range) but in a couple of years there will be.
And I know people who placed an order because they LOVED the idea of a yolk...horses for courses!

Reactions: HankLloydRight
And I know people who placed an order because they LOVED the idea of a yolk...horses for courses!
Just wait until they actually drive it, lol. The yoke itself I don't think is too bad... It's all the capacitive touch buttons that I think were poorly thought out. In this video they talked about how it was too easy to accidentally trigger the buttons when your hands brush across it. There's no haptic feedback to find the buttons, so you have to look at them to hit the right one. People like my mother in law, have really dry skin, so have a hard time activating capactive touch buttons, especially in winter.

Reactions: freeAgent
I am sure that there are people who are thrilled about the yoke and V11.
Hiding important car-related functions while exposing/giving more flexibility on entertainment-related functions is a departure from a driver-oriented car. Similarly, the yoke looks “sporty” but it is not with the full 2 1/2 turns (and the stokeless design is another departure from a driver-oriented interface). If we consider performance-orientation, V11 has nothing of that sort. If I am on the track, using proper yoke, I would be interested in the accelerometers, temp of brake fluid, temperature of the battery, current draw, power drawn from each motor, leaning angles, tire pressure … A whole screen of parameters that are either not shown at all or buried like the tire pressure. So, no, it is not track-oriented.
May be they will improve it in the future but, as an entertainment device, it is also very confusing. The sources selection is weird, the search does not work, list of podcast is super difficult to navigate.
The whole thing is going in a very weird direction, certainly not the masses and not the performance-oriented people. What comes to mind is gamers, which, let’s face it, is not a very large population. And $100k+ is somewhat expensive for a poorly designed gaming console.
While the design of V11 is bad, my real concern is where the overall design is going. Yes, the demand is outpacing the supply at the moment but what will happen when there are viable alternatives, a couple of years from now? Are we going to be stuck with cars that appeal only to a niche population?
I am glad that I bought one of the last Ravens. Don’t want to think about a residual value of a yoke car a few years from now when the fad has faded.

I am sure that there are people who are thrilled about the yoke and V11.
Hiding important car-related functions while exposing/giving more flexibility on entertainment-related functions is a departure from a driver-oriented car. Similarly, the yoke looks “sporty” but it is not with the full 2 1/2 turns (and the stokeless design is another departure from a driver-oriented interface). If we consider performance-orientation, V11 has nothing of that sort. If I am on the track, using proper yoke, I would be interested in the accelerometers, temp of brake fluid, temperature of the battery, current draw, power drawn from each motor, leaning angles, tire pressure … A whole screen of parameters that are either not shown at all or buried like the tire pressure. So, no, it is not track-oriented.
May be they will improve it in the future but, as an entertainment device, it is also very confusing. The sources selection is weird, the search does not work, list of podcast is super difficult to navigate.
The whole thing is going in a very weird direction, certainly not the masses and not the performance-oriented people. What comes to mind is gamers, which, let’s face it, is not a very large population. And $100k+ is somewhat expensive for a poorly designed gaming console.
While the design of V11 is bad, my real concern is where the overall design is going. Yes, the demand is outpacing the supply at the moment but what will happen when there are viable alternatives, a couple of years from now? Are we going to be stuck with cars that appeal only to a niche population?
I am glad that I bought one of the last Ravens. Don’t want to think about a residual value of a yoke car a few years from now when the fad has faded.
I am a gamer and I want nothing to do with this stuff. Gamers actually tend to have strong opinions about good interface design, and (good) games often have some of the best thought out interfaces in the business. None of what Tesla has put out in the last year or so would qualify for that.

If so many people dislike it, have we all given feedback to Tesla? (Edit I have not tried it myself personally and hesitating to upgrade the software on MY3).
i tweeted at elon. not sure what other avenues for feedback there are, i don't really believe in clogging up the service queue with complaints. the only options for contacting them on the website are to buy a power wall or become a certified installer. lol.

• Funny
Reactions: Skione65

I have a roadster on order. I’m not sure I will take delivery if (assuming they ever ship) it’s a yoke wheel or nothing. I’m hoping for some after market fixes.