Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Everything wrong with V11 update / user interface.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let’s be clear: Voice commands are a joke. A gimmick in beta. Aside from not working without cell coverage, there is not pattern or system to them, they constantly change (for no reason - like the UI) and there is no official Tesla documentation about them.
They remind me of the dawn of RPG when the player had to enter _exactly_ the phrase that the game was expecting. Otherwise, nothing happens even if semantically the phrase is the same.
Since then (30 years ago), there was a ton of development in the space; lately, even using AI that one can have a conversation with. I guess, that was another field of knowledge that UI designers decided to completely ignore.

This might have been answered before - with so many V11 comments I have a hard time finding it.

How do I increase the level of details on the night map? It seems that it shows only the highways/split roads.

Just so it's clear, it's not a case of "some say they have trouble". Voice commands require a cell connection to function, period. If cell connectivity is spotty or absent, voice commands will not work.
Oh yea, totally agree and know that. I guess I should have said some people report having trouble with voice commands even with a good cell connection.

Yes, I am one of those. Even with cell connectivity:
- I am often on the phone. Cannot use voice commands while on a call.
- There is no particular template or system behind them. The logic changes. For example, “Enable child lock” does what is expected; “Disable child lock” does nothing.
- They are changing around without much reason (similar to the visual UI) and there is no official list from Tesla.
- They are too specific. Unless one says the _exact_ phrase nothing happens.
- In quite a few cases the car misinterpret what I say.

They are interesting gimmick like the games but far away from being reliable to control critical systems. Frankly, I would gladly give them up for easy to use traditional, visual controls.

Yes, I am one of those. Even with cell connectivity:
- I am often on the phone. Cannot use voice commands while on a call.
- There is no particular template or system behind them. The logic changes. For example, “Enable child lock” does what is expected; “Disable child lock” does nothing.
- They are changing around without much reason (similar to the visual UI) and there is no official list from Tesla.
- They are too specific. Unless one says the _exact_ phrase nothing happens.
- In quite a few cases the car misinterpret what I say.

They are interesting gimmick like the games but far away from being reliable to control critical systems. Frankly, I would gladly give them up for easy to use traditional, visual controls.
I'm no fan of voice control, but I thought I give it a go on my last trip. I do get the idea behind it and Tesla's vision on how to control your car in the future. So I spent 1,5 hours trying all kind of commands and found myself shouting at the thing eventually. 😭 Quite stressful and not a big success. Giving a go at V11 UI again . 🥴

Why aren’t M3 owners flipping out more about the TERRIBLE V11 UPDATE ?

We had a nice, user friendly, intuitive screen and now we have CRAP. Time to let TESLA know how you feel.
I joined the forum just to gripe and lament the once brilliant and intuitive UI, now lost. Two posts myself and reading the rest.

During my intro to Teslas and test drive with my wife and mid-20's sales guy in 2019, I was impressed when he flipped through the controls and lauded how great they were. I was 50, an ICE guy who'd never owned an automatic transmission in my life and hated center-mounted instruments like in the Mini - and I agreed! I dropped $50,000 to buy my M3 - and now the company has changed what I purchased into a different and annoying mess. This is a massive risk to being at the mercy of system updates by the manufacturer - and I liked all of them up to v11

More driving in the mountains and I hate this thing even more! I used to be able to turn on the defogger _without looking_ at the screen. Now, I had to pull over (literally) to do that.
I don’t care about being able to fart, drive on Mars, play Sonic or any other BS. I bought this car to drive it and it fails at that now.
BTW: I could not stand the audio abomination. Thank God for the bluetooth! I switched back to using the phone. Tonight will install the cradle I had from a few cars ago.
Pull over? really? Wow, all you need do is swipe up anywhere on the screen and there it is...if you can learn where the button was before then it cant take much to learn where it is now...

In some ways it may be less of an issue - when you rent a car, you're unfamiliar with it and you know it so most people take a few minutes ti figure things out. Of course if they need a control and they can't see it and can't remember it, that's an issue. As is distraction. It's very easy to spend more time than you realize looking down at the screen and not realize that your'e about to run into a car that stoped ahead of you.
Yes it is easy if you are a bad driver! What can be SO urgent that you don't keep your eyes on the road? Just a couple of quick glances and I can do anything. I dont stare at the screen!

Come to think of it, I owned at least 6-7 cars and I have been very active on their forums. I have never seen such strong reaction. Even VW dieselgate was muted compared to this.
I have enough real life issues to deal with; no need for artificial one created by Tesla UI team. For me the car is a tool, not a toy box. Just imagine contractors reaction if they do something like this with the Cybertruck. We would seem super civilized…
What other cars have you had that could have screen redesigns (I will use redesigns rather than the word I would choose: improvements, as I know it will get some people hot and sweaty!) like this? I'd wager ZERO! That is why you have not seen reactions like this. Only Tesla gives you that flexibility.

What other cars have you had that could have screen redesigns (I will use redesigns rather than the word I would choose: improvements, as I know it will get some people hot and sweaty!) like this? I'd wager ZERO! That is why you have not seen reactions like this. Only Tesla gives you that flexibility.
It's not 'flexibility' when you as an owner have no choice in it.

This is true but luckily most places people drive have cell coverage.
A car needs to work all places people drive and for all people in all circumstances. There are multiple other shortcomings to voice control that have been described repeatedly.
Yes it is easy if you are a bad driver! What can be SO urgent that you don't keep your eyes on the road? Just a couple of quick glances and I can do anything. I dont stare at the screen!
Yes, you can ask that question to any of the thousands of drivers who get in accidents every day because they are distracted. Good UI design for a car means minimizing the time you look at the screen. Compared to V10, V11 did the reverse.

you say that like having screen redesigns is automatically good. If it makes things better it's good. If it makes things worse, then it's bad. Having major redesigns on a regular basis is also bad because you repeatedly make people re-learn how to operate their car. Most of us want to use our cars, not learn them.

Ah but there you are wrong...some of these changes came directly from user requests
Ah, but you are wrong - that is not 'flexibility.' See my previous paragraph.

With the “all input is error” tweet, I have zero hope that the “many UI improvements coming soon” will fix the issues.

I filed a NHTSA complaint against Tesla burying critical driving functions like defroster and defogger in sub menus.

Recommend anyone unhappy with V11 to also file with NHTSA: Report a Safety Problem | NHTSA
Next stop after posting this is NHTSA. I am now convinced there are dangerous elements in V11. And I happen to think ”input is preference”.