Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Everything wrong with V11 update / user interface.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone figured out what happened to the rear vents after the Ver 11 update. The button has disappeared on the screen and there is no air coming out from the vent. My poor dog used to love sitting in the middle of back seat so the air would hit her face. Boy I hate this update.
Bring up the climate menu... Then on left side select "rear"... Then you'll find a "rear fan" button in the upper left

fan.jpg

Reactions: Super Gizmo
Same boat for me. Loved the car for the first year and a half but no way would I buy another Tesla now. Hope they turn around because I enjoyed being a fan and it was the best car experience I ever had (at that time). But I can't support a company making the bone-headed and anti-owner decisions Tesla makes.
I guess this highlights a problem no one thought of with the minimalist cab & no hard buttons/controls. The manufacturers can change stuff around without consulting you first, whereas hard controls are where they are & stay there for the life of the car🤷🏼‍♂️

I live in California, so I rarely use the seat heaters.

For some reason, today I felt my butt burning - surely it wasn't from food, I didn't have Taco Bell today... so it had to be the seats.

I thought checked the menu and I thought the seat heaters "auto" were off.... until I realized they were on AUTO cause for some reason, every button status on the damn climate screen IS BLUE when turned on xcept the seat heater status which is a darker gray.... because reasons?

I live in California, so I rarely use the seat heaters.

For some reason, today I felt my butt burning - surely it wasn't from food, I didn't have Taco Bell today... so it had to be the seats.

I thought checked the menu and I thought the seat heaters "auto" were off.... until I realized they were on AUTO cause for some reason, every button status on the damn climate screen IS BLUE when turned on xcept the seat heater status which is a darker gray.... because reasons?
I’d say it’s some software guys idea of a pisstake lol

Except it's two touches, because it turns on the climate. How does that make any sense? I want to check the status of something and it triggers an undesired side effect. Yeah, so exaggerated!

Same for turning on the seat heaters in the first place, btw.
Isn’t it actually 3 touches now, regardless of whether or not you wanted the heat on as well?

1) bring up hvac panel
2) turn on seat heater
3) dismiss panel / or turn off heat which also dismisses panel

Isn’t it actually 3 touches now, regardless of whether or not you wanted the heat on as well?

1) bring up hvac panel
2) turn on seat heater
that statement was in response to another post, which said:
For example, checking the seat heater settings is one touch
if all you're doing is checking the status, it's two touches, not three.

anyway in both cases it's two extra touches. to check status required no touches before, now requires 2. to turn them on used to required one touch, now requires 3.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
I had actually stopped using the Tesla for about a week now in lieu of other options since I was so annoyed with the changes. I used it for a few errands last night, and other the core driving part of the experience, it was honestly again, a pretty annoying experience.

I switch between Spotify and radio periodically. I like leaving the media player in minimized mode generally and in mid screen mode when choosing options. There's no great way to modulate this easily without pressing the "list"(?) button multiple times to cycle between full screen, half screen, and minimal screen. I've tried other ways, but that typically just resulted in alternating between full screen and completely disappearing, which is just annoying and non-intuitive.

Also, during this time of year, I need to keep the rear defroster on at all times to keep the rear from fogging up. It used to be 1 button press to turn on/off, like all other cars, and you can tell when it is on or off. This is important since it turns off automatically after a while and when I notice it, I turn it right back on. Now I have to press the screen 3 times to access, turn on, and return to main screen. And I can't tell when it eventually turns off, other than noticing that the rear has fogged up again.

I'm finding every interaction with the screen to be frustrating, which just makes for a very compromised experience overall. Given the current and upcoming alternatives where Tesla is no longer the only EV option in town, I'll be seriously considering a replacement this year, which is a shame (I know, I know, "don't let the door hit you on the way out," and all that). This update feels like it came from a company that is increasingly out of touch with its customers.

Not necessarily.

Since different people ride in my passenger seat, she doesn't know if the seat heater is on or off and before... she can see if the seat heated icon was there and then didn't have to do anything.

Conversely, my kid knows my wife likes to use the seat heater and when they get in the car to see if it's on or off instead of waiting for their seat to heat up to realize it.

And for me... I like to turn the passenger seat heater off if I'm by myself... so I like to see it too.

There is a reason why visual indicators exist in the first place... most vehicles have actual dedicated hardware buttons with an indicator for heated seats.

Using your statement, why are there temp indicators for the HVAC then? Just remove those too.
So reading your list of who likes what...can't your kids or wife just swipe up on the screen to see AND change what they want? As for temps on screen I am more than happy to get rid of them and just see ALL climate info with a swipe up. It all goes back to the conditional. If I am cold then I want to increase the heat. If I am too warm then I want to decrease it. If I feel fine then what do I care if I can see the temperature or not? I only want to see and change things if I feel I need to.

1) bring up hvac panel
2) turn on seat heater
I just say "My butt is cold" and it comes on.
I say "Turn off seat heater" and it goes off. I don't mess with menus. Some say they have trouble with voice commands in poor cellular areas, but I haven't experienced that yet.

So reading your list of who likes what...can't your kids or wife just swipe up on the screen to see AND change what they want? As for temps on screen I am more than happy to get rid of them and just see ALL climate info with a swipe up. It all goes back to the conditional. If I am cold then I want to increase the heat. If I am too warm then I want to decrease it. If I feel fine then what do I care if I can see the temperature or not? I only want to see and change things if I feel I need to.
The problem/annoyance is with the defrosters. Normally in every other car, you can see really quickly if the rear defrosters are still on. With this update, you cannot, you have to touch the screen to see if they are on... Having to constantly touch the screen to check on the defrosters is annoying... Otherwise, the only other way to know if the defrosters turned off, is if the rear windows started fogging again... But if you wait for that to happen, it is TOO LATE, and it will take several minutes for the windows to clear again. Whereas if you could proactively just glance at the button to see if it was on, you can turn it back on when it turns off, and the rear windows will not fog over.

How do I put the audio panel in half height mode? There used to be 3 stages, full screen, half screen and minimal. Now it seems to be full screen or minimal except when it isn't. Sometimes it will show up in the half height mode where it shows the favourites view of mixed sources (even though it's all jumbled up and sorted wrongly)

The problem/annoyance is with the defrosters. Normally in every other car, you can see really quickly if the rear defrosters are still on. With this update, you cannot, you have to touch the screen to see if they are on... Having to constantly touch the screen to check on the defrosters is annoying... Otherwise, the only other way to know if the defrosters turned off, is if the rear windows started fogging again... But if you wait for that to happen, it is TOO LATE, and it will take several minutes for the windows to clear again. Whereas if you could proactively just glance at the button to see if it was on, you can turn it back on when it turns off, and the rear windows will not fog over.
Started fogging again after you cleared it? Sounds like you need to dehumidify your car. Also, if on the off chance it does fog up again then just use your cameras and safety is restored! If you are defogging constantly then you have a problem.

Started fogging again after you cleared it? Sounds like you need to dehumidify your car. Also, if on the off chance it does fog up again then just use your cameras and safety is restored! If you are defogging constantly then you have a problem.
There are usually people in the car. They breath and exhale moist air :)
In colder climates you have to run the defrosters quite a bit. The rear one turns itself off after a while. For the front one it is a tricky balance between foggy windshield and too hot cabin. Tesla, in general, is not very good with the defrosters and the recent UI made a small issue a problem.

There are usually people in the car. They breath and exhale moist air :)
In colder climates you have to run the defrosters quite a bit. The rear one turns itself off after a while. For the front one it is a tricky balance between foggy windshield and too hot cabin. Tesla, in general, is not very good with the defrosters and the recent UI made a small issue a problem.
That is why you should turn off recirc and put on aircon for a few mins...stops the issue coming back as you stop breathing and exhaling the same moist air over and over hence not needing to keep defog on all the time...you can look this up you know...

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
That is why you should turn off recirc and put on aircon for a few mins...stops the issue coming back as you stop breathing and exhaling the same moist air over and over hence not needing to keep defog on all the time...you can look this up you know...
I never have recirculate on in the winter time, and I always have the A/C on. You live in Texas, so you probably don't have the same issues as those that live in colder, rainier climates. When you have wet jackets, wet hair, wet shoes, etc, you need the defrosters PERIOD.

Last edited:
Here is a new one I had just encountered tonight. The image of the car is stuck in the parking orientation while the car is in drive. I'll have to see if resetting will make it work again, because it stayed like this even after couple of drives...

Attachments

• 56D232A7-ABEF-4508-8484-46AFD9D98936.jpeg
    56D232A7-ABEF-4508-8484-46AFD9D98936.jpeg
    842.7 KB · Views: 51
  • B2493FA3-D58B-4BF3-916C-EE0D35D85D18.jpeg
    B2493FA3-D58B-4BF3-916C-EE0D35D85D18.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 59